Reload this Page >

UK State Pension application - residence

UK State Pension application - residence

Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:04 am
Just Joined

aldavidson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK State Pension application - residence

Originally Posted by bats
There's been a whole load of stuff about snowbirds thinking they can spend more time in the USA than they are really allowed. Also that it's going to be more noticeable/ documented now with electronic passport reading etc.
Not related to my question that started this thread. There's a current US Congress bill to allow Canadians over 50 or 55 to spend up to 8 months per year. Apparently seems to be expected to be adopted.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
You know that you get the updated amount while you're in a country that it's paid in? So there's really no need for all this.
If this were correct I wouldn't have asked the question about residence. If your address is in Canada, UK State pension is not uprated. If you go to USA for a trip or extended stay, DWP have another rule that Canadian residents cannot receive uprating for the duration of their USA stay. It can be uprated for a stay in UK or EEC. It's unscionable discrimination.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:35 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

šŸ”—
Originally Posted by aldavidson
Not related to my question that started this thread. There's a current US Congress bill to allow Canadians over 50 or 55 to spend up to 8 months per year. Apparently seems to be expected to be adopted.
Then you would lose your OHIP.

If this were correct I wouldn't have asked the question about residence. If your address is in Canada, UK State pension is not uprated. If you go to USA for a trip or extended stay, DWP have another rule that Canadian residents cannot receive uprating for the duration of their USA stay. It can be uprated for a stay in UK or EEC. It's unscionable discrimination.
How about "thanks for commenting but that rule only applies in the EU." Instead of the terse reply?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats View Post
You know that you get the updated amount while you're in a country that it's paid in? So there's really no need for all this.

Mr or Mrs bats, Your original response said there was no need for this thread, because etc, but as I replied your information is incorrect as applicable to Canada/USA.

You said "Then you would lose your OHIP".
The OHIP rule is currently 7 months away in a year. Most but not all Provinces are the same. There's an expectation that if the US legislation passes to allow some Canadians to stay in USA up to 8 months in a year, IRS regs would be changed to accommodate this. Maybe Provincial health care rules could also change to correspond.

None of this is relevant to my original straightforward question, but thanks for posting.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

None of this is relevant to my original straightforward question, but thanks for posting.
Same question from your thread on the US forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...idence-893300/

Are you looking for folks to tell you its OK to deceive the UK government that your permanent residence is in the US, when likely it isn't because you only snowbird there?

My suggestion to you is to do whatever lets you sleep at night that won't come around & bite you in the backside, all for the sake of a few shillings of indexed state pension
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Same question from your thread on the US forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...idence-893300/

Are you looking for folks to tell you its OK to deceive the UK government that your permanent residence is in the US, when likely it isn't because you only snowbird there?

My suggestion to you is to do whatever lets you sleep at night that won't come around & bite you in the backside, all for the sake of a few shillings of indexed state pension

Seems like the OP thinks pension fraud is OK because he doesn't believe in the law that restricts the annual increases to residents of certain countries. I am not aware that that is an effective argument against a charge of fraud.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
1. Not puzzling...both myself and wife have USA ITIN cards (we're retirees)...we filed 1040's until IRS told us to only file if our income was over the minimum threshold. This was considered paper-saving. When I sold our property I paid Capital Gains Tax on the gain, both in USA and Canada.

2. Your driver's license link is irrelevant...that's something to do with illegal immigrants. The following is relevant...

"A few states still allow people to use an ITIN instead of an SSN to apply for a driverā€™s license. And some banks and credit unions allow ITIN holders to open accounts or apply for loans."

I also had an Arizona-plated Cadillac in my name....and a bank account in B of A which held a collateral loan on our property.

Edit: We used our Canadian license to qualify...I think, as it was some years ago...but I'm sure I wasn't tested. I recall we didn't need to but, I'm sure you're aware, Americans use their driver's license for lots of ID things...including qualifying for discounts in stores....writing cheques ...you name it.
So what is your US visa status.....B-2?

To file a 1040 you need to be US tax resident or a US citizen....are you either of those? FYI to be a US resident alien you need an immigrant visa or to pass the substantial presence test if you are undocumented. You can get an ITIN and still pay US tax if you are an undocumented alien, but you are also opening yourself up to immigration issues.

Last edited by nun; Mar 7th 2017 at 5:26 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
So what is your US visa status.....B-2?

To file a 1040 you need to be US tax resident or a US citizen....are you either of those? FYI to be a US resident alien you need an immigrant visa or to pass the substantial presence test if you are undocumented. You can get an ITIN and still pay US tax if you are an undocumented alien, but you are also opening yourself up to immigration issues.
I'm no longer in the US but, when I lived there as a snowbird from Canada for 10 years, my status was visitor. I repeat...I had an ITIN, still have it now but out of date. An AZ drivers license, also out of date. A Bank of America bank account, since canceled...BofA sucks.

You should read this link...
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/gene...in-information.

In particular the para....
"ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code."

There is also a 1040NR for non-residents.

Last edited by Davita; Mar 8th 2017 at 12:46 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

In particular the para....
"ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code."

There is also a 1040NR for non-residents.
Exactly, you can have US tax filing requirements as a non-resident, you can also be taxed as a resident because of substantial presence tests while you are not a resident for immigration purposes. The OP asks about residency status as it relates to a UK pension application and I would use the immigration status on that application, not the taxation residence status as deemed by the IRS.

So if you were on a visitor's visa you were not US or AZ resident and likewise until the OP has a US residence visa they are not a US resident.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Exactly, you can have US tax filing requirements as a non-resident, you can also be taxed as a resident because of substantial presence tests while you are not a resident for immigration purposes. The OP asks about residency status as it relates to a UK pension application and I would use the immigration status on that application, not the taxation residence status as deemed by the IRS.

So if you were on a visitor's visa you were not US or AZ resident and likewise until the OP has a US residence visa they are not a US resident.
You said "You can get an ITIN and still pay US tax if you are an undocumented alien, but you are also opening yourself up to immigration issues."
In approx. 10 years I never had any immigration issues except when I was advised I became qualified for the 'green card' I'd applied for some 10 years earlier. Too late, unfortunately...I'd sold my place in AZ and moved elsewhere.
I never had a visitor visa. As a Canadian there is no visa issued per se. Thankfully, even when it was required to show a passport, they didn't even stamp it as I used to cross the border almost daily from BC, just to get to my boat, which was moored in WA.

Like others you are offering your impression of law to answer the OP....but that wasn't what the OP asked. He asked "Did UK ask for proof of residence."

I responded correctly to the OP's question.

Last edited by Davita; Mar 8th 2017 at 10:49 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Davita for your helpful replies and for being the only one in this and the US forum thread to provide an answer to the specific question I asked. Most of the others gave tax and immigration advice which I didn't need or ask for and in some cases was not correct.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome Al...and maybe to add a note...
Although I'm still a Canadian Resident, and file taxes to Revenue Canada, I informed UK Pensions that I reside in Bali...no requests for proof of that either.

I changed my residence address because they previously sent their request 'Are you dead yet?' to my residence in BC which is empty while I'm in Bali. When I didn't respond they cut-off my pension.
At my age it's likely they'll send this request more frequently so I changed my address. I didn't want to repeat that issue of having to notarize my existence...
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome Al...and maybe to add a note...
Although I'm still a Canadian Resident, and file taxes to Revenue Canada, I informed UK Pensions that I reside in Bali...no requests for proof of that either.

I changed my residence address because they previously sent their request 'Are you dead yet?' to my residence in BC which is empty while I'm in Bali. When I didn't respond they cut-off my pension.
At my age it's likely they'll send this request more frequently so I changed my address. I didn't want to repeat that issue of having to notarize my existence...
Well you have committed benefit fraud then. I'm amazed that you'd admit to that in an open forum.

It is true that the OP's question was about what proof of residence is required, but it seems sensible that the responders should explain the potential for benefit fraud in the OP's situation and explain their understanding of the rules.

Canadians, British citizens etc don't need actual visas to visit the US, but the visitor visa rules still apply and the stay is limited to 6 months. They can apply for an extension, but absent that you should not stay longer than 6 months in the US.

This is really simple. All indicators are that the OP is a Canadian resident. If they apply for a UK pension and state that they are a US resident they might not be asked to provide proof, but they have still committed benefit fraud.

Last edited by nun; Mar 9th 2017 at 12:18 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Well you have committed benefit fraud then. I'm amazed that you'd admit to that in an open forum.

It is true that the OP's question was about what proof of residence is required, but it seems sensible that the responders should explain the potential for benefit fraud in the OP's situation and explain their understanding of the rules.

Canadians, British citizens etc don't need actual visas to visit the US, but the visitor visa rules still apply and the stay is limited to 6 months. They can apply for an extension, but absent that you should not stay longer than 6 months in the US.

This is really simple. All indicators are that the OP is a Canadian resident. If they apply for a UK pension and state that they are a US resident they might not be asked to provide proof, but they have still committed benefit fraud.
I know all that and explained that I lived it...and so did the OP as he said so. Maybe read the posts before you pontificate from your ivory tower.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Davita for your helpful replies and for being the only one in this and the US forum thread to provide an answer to the specific question I asked. Most of the others gave tax and immigration advice which I didn't need or ask for and in some cases was not correct.
Wow, what a great way to say thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.

If you want expert advice that only answers the specific question you asked rather than people saying what they want, then a consultation with a professional would be the way to go, rather than a public forum. You get what you pay for.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.