British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   UK rental property while living in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/uk-rental-property-while-living-canada-708995/)

G77 Mar 12th 2011 1:18 pm

Re: UK rental property while living in Canada

Let me get this straight - if you keep it for 5 years and then sell, you owe nothing in terms of UK CGT? How does that make any sense?

JB0591 Mar 12th 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by amlangford (Post 9234990)
hey John, funny to see you reply. how's it going?

Were mortaged with britannia building society. I spoke to nationwide yesterday and they wouldnt touch us, a) because is classed as "buy to let", technically, I didnt "buy it to let it", I bought it to live in it, and now I want to let it...and b) because were non UK residents.

Ill call Santander to se if they can help us

Hi Adrian

Things not going to bad, not all to plan yet on the job front but something will come soon. I'll PM you soon and explain more.

Cheers

JB

JAJ Mar 12th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 9235724)
Let me get this straight - if you keep it for 5 years and then sell, you owe nothing in terms of UK CGT? How does that make any sense?

As far as I understand, the UK gives emigrants a "free pass" on CGT provided you stay outside the country for at least 5 years. Take a look at the HMRC website to confirm.

However, if you choose to settle in Canada, Canada assumes you sold and repurchased your assets on the day you become tax resident. The subsequent sale or disposal may create a capital gain in Canadian dollars. Or more likely, given UK house prices and the pound sterling over the last few years, a capital loss.

Alphawolf Mar 13th 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9235007)
Don't be ridiculous ... you don't have to give it away, you just have to sell it for what it is worth. Which is a figure greater than zero, although perhaps not in line with your aspiration.

Why am I being ridiculous???? :frown:
If we sold it for less than we owe on it just to achieve a sale, that I would term giving it away!!!

Alphawolf Mar 13th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by amlangford (Post 9234985)
Hi mags1972

Yes, its a very annoying situation. Like you, we are actually at a loss from renting our house, when youy take the management fees into account...and that's on a rate of 3.89%. If we're forced to take out a buy to let, we'll likely be on around 7%, and thus even more loss. We're being tainted with the same brush as the people who rent properties for a living ... At this stage Im stuck. I'm contacting an IFA for advice, ill keep you posted

Thanks for that would greatly appreciate it :thumbup:

JAJ Mar 13th 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mags1972 (Post 9237022)
Why am I being ridiculous???? :frown:
If we sold it for less than we owe on it just to achieve a sale, that I would term giving it away!!!

From a reputable online dictionary:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gift

Definition of GIFT
1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
3 : the act, right, or power of giving

skippy2107 Mar 13th 2011 9:00 am

We are currently renting out our property. It's on a standard mortgage.

I don't believe it's fraud. The banks use buy to let mortgages because they require a larger deposit in case the property remains empty, you can't afford to pay the mortgage, and they end up re-possessing it.

Good luck

JB0591 Mar 13th 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by skippy2107 (Post 9237442)

I don't believe it's fraud. The banks use buy to let mortgages because they require a larger deposit in case the property remains empty, you can't afford to pay the mortgage, and they end up re-possessing it.

Good luck

Is that a standard mortgage with a rental clause in the T&Cs?

PeterF Mar 13th 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by skippy2107 (Post 9237442)

Good luck

The mortgage provider must give written permission to enable you to rent it out. If you have not informed them then it could possibly be seen as fraud on their behalf.

We had that for 3 years after that Nationwide said we must pay the extra 1.5% as they say its additional risk.

JAJ Mar 13th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PeterF (Post 9237658)
The mortgage provider must give written permission to enable you to rent it out. If you have not informed them then it could possibly be seen as fraud on their behalf.

Fraud is a criminal offence - fortunately bankers do not arbitrate the criminal law. Only the courts can do that.

I have never heard of something like this being considered fraud (especially as it relates to an existing mortgage, not a new one) but of course I could be wrong.

However, a breach of mortgage conditions may give the lender the option of a number of civil remedies, including requesting immediate repayment of the loan. Read the mortgage conditions and consult a lawyer experienced in this area.

Cape Blue Mar 13th 2011 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mags1972 (Post 9234855)
Hi Adrian,

We are moving in 9 weeks to Alberta and have a similar problem, our house is not going to sell unless we give it away so that isn't an option, we are currently on a tracker mortgage and have been told the same as you that we need to take out a buy-to-let mortgage to rent which I don't get as it is a higher interest rate.
The way it is looking at the moment that monthly repayment is more than the house is valued at rentwise, how is that right???
Anyway if you get any answers I'd be interested to know the outcome :thumbup:

I know plenty who have not told their lender they are letting and have had no problem - its a risk, but what are your alternatives?

To ensure you protect your money and the lenders money, make sure you have a landlords buildings insurance and not just your normal policy.

JAJ Mar 13th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9237738)
I know plenty who have not told their lender they are letting and have had no problem - its a risk, but what are your alternatives?

Sell the house.

Cape Blue Mar 13th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9237796)
Sell the house.

Indeed, but if you crystallize a loss that you can't afford, continuing to rent (even without telling the lender) may be the most sensible choice.

Alphawolf Mar 13th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9237809)
Indeed, but if you crystallize a loss that you can't afford, continuing to rent (even without telling the lender) may be the most sensible choice.

Exactly, thanks CB. JAJ doesn't seem to realise that in our case we are not particularly well off, we have saved every penny we can to make this emigration possible and we we're planning to use the small amount of equity we had approx $18000, for a deposit on a house in Canada.
If we were to sell it and get nothing out of the equity after living in it for 12 years, what's the point honestly??
The exchange rate and house price slump has made our future plans much harder than they should have been, simply selling at a loss or no profit is not an option we can take as we still have UK debt to pay off also after our move.

dbd33 Mar 13th 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by mags1972 (Post 9238581)
Exactly, thanks CB. JAJ doesn't seem to realise that in our case we are not particularly well off, we have saved every penny we can to make this emigration possible and we we're planning to use the small amount of equity we had approx $18000, for a deposit on a house in Canada.
If we were to sell it and get nothing out of the equity after living in it for 12 years, what's the point honestly??
The exchange rate and house price slump has made our future plans much harder than they should have been, simply selling at a loss or no profit is not an option we can take as we still have UK debt to pay off also after our move.

It seems to me that the options are:

- rent it out, don't tell the lender and hope not to get caught. This gets messy because the lender needs an address for correspondence and, if that's not the house, they'll wonder what's up. You can't have the post forwarded forever and, anyway, that's not very reliable. If you use a foreign address they'll work it out exactly, if you use a friend or relative's address in the UK then that probably is fraud, besides which, they'll still know you're not living in the house.

- negotiate a mortgage that allows rental use. Make a loss on the rent, hope for a recovery in house prices to make it all worthwhile. The merit of this depends a bit on the likelihood of wanting to move back.

- sell, live with the loss.

- don't emigrate. Live in the house.

None of these, except perhaps the last one, look like great options but it's hard to see how, after twelve years of owning the thing, you have no equity in it. I'd have thought this more commonly to be the case for someone who's owned the house for a much shorter period.

None of this is "fair" of course and, to compound the problem, emigrating to Canada means giving up indexing of any state pension you might receive.