Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk Registered Car UK Resident in Canada but Canadian citizen

Uk Registered Car UK Resident in Canada but Canadian citizen

Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Uk Registered Car UK Resident in Canada but Canadian citizen

UK Registered Car UK Resident in Canada but I am Dual Canadian Citizen.

How Long can I drive in Canada on UK plates ?

Can I drive in Canada, As it would only be Temporary.
If I was under Temporary visa I know I could Import a Foreign car to Canada for Up 12 Months, But as I don't need a Visa how does this work.

I plan on having my car shipped to Florida and Driving to Whitehorse and Anchorage.

Last edited by loss; Mar 24th 2015 at 10:23 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Registered Car UK Resident in Canada but Canadian citizen

Simple answer no more than 12 months if a visitor to Canada. You will need to show CBSA that you are a resident of another country.
D2-1-1 - Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances by Non-Residents
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

But I guess being a Citizen it going to be hard to prove that It is only temporary,
How you define Permanent vs Temporary.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
But I guess being a Citizen it going to be hard to prove that It is only temporary,
How you define Permanent vs Temporary.
Where do you live. Do you own property and are you employed. Which country do you pay taxes to and what other ties do you have to that country. Even though a Canadian citizen if you aren't living in Canada then you are not considered a resident. Permanent means full time and temporary is for visitors, workers and students who will eventually return to their country unless applying for PR status.
Without knowing all the details how long do you plan on staying and it could be cheaper renting a vehicle as opposed to shipping it both ways unless you plan on leaving it in the USA. What type of vehicle and what year? If it looks suspicious CBSA could ask for a deposit if they think the vehicle won't leave Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

I would either Scrap it or Import it into Canada if it was 15 Years or older and Felt it was worth it at the end of my Trip and sell it.
For the Sort of Money I wish to spend on a car and drive It would be cheaper to ship it to Florida than to Rent one but that is not why I wish to do this.

Can you work Temporarily and still be considered a Non Resident.

What about the problem with Provinces and 30 days to register a Vehicle ?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

For the cost of shipping and licencing it why wouldn't you just buy something cheap and cheerful over there and sell it when you go back?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would either Scrap it or Import it into Canada if it was 15 Years or older and Felt it was worth it at the end of my Trip and sell it.
For the Sort of Money I wish to spend on a car and drive It would be cheaper to ship it to Florida than to Rent one but that is not why I wish to do this.

Can you work Temporarily and still be considered a Non Resident.

What about the problem with Provinces and 30 days to register a Vehicle ?
Depends who you are working for because in your case being a dual citizen you are allowed to work in Canada and have a right of entry into Canada. The 30 days or in some cases 90 days is only applicable if living in the Province as a resident.
As a visitor no need to register the vehicle. Bear in mind this
2. Goods that remain in Canada at the end of the visit become subject to the applicable duty and taxes and to seizure and forfeiture if not reported to the CBSA.

How much have you been quoted to ship the vehicle to Florida?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

what about regulations re emissions etc?

They are different in the US and in Canada ............ do UK regulations differ from here?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 1:09 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I assume being in the UK you've taken the car to the continent and are aware of the issues with driving a wrong-hand drive car, ie no overtaking unless you have a passenger you trust with your life.

Also for repairs and stuff it would be better if it was a global brand.

If over 15 years they don't ask any questions in Canada. LHD LR Defenders sell for whatever number you can think up. But probably not the vehicle you want to drive across the continent in...
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I assume being in the UK you've taken the car to the continent and are aware of the issues with driving a wrong-hand drive car, ie no overtaking unless you have a passenger you trust with your life.

Also for repairs and stuff it would be better if it was a global brand.

If over 15 years they don't ask any questions in Canada. LHD LR Defenders sell for whatever number you can think up. But probably not the vehicle you want to drive across the continent in...
I drive a (seasonal) RHD car on Canada's roads. I have never had an issue with overtaking. Half-decent road sense coupled with long straight roads mean that this is rarely, if ever, an issue. The only difficult manoeuvre without a passenger is turning left at a controlled intersection when there is facing traffic also queuing to turn left.

However, I do agree with previous posters that this seems a very odd thing to want to do. the OP can't sell the car on in Canada unless he jumps through the hoops of importing it first (and therefore pay duty and tax on it, register it locally, etc etc). And if it's not worth any more than scrap value, why on earth bother with shipping it to Florida in the first place?

If the car's over 15 years old, importing it becomes somewhat easier, but I think it's a little disingenuous to say they don't ask any questions. In Ontario at least (no idea if it's different in Whitehorse, and of course the whole game changes if the final destination is Anchorage) you need a safety certificate and for a RHD car may need some additional mechanical alterations (dip pattern on the lights, for example, although one hopes that will have been addressed before a cross-continental road trip).

If I were planning such a monster road trip, I'd look into how to register a car in Florida as a non-resident, and buy something there. I'm sure there must be a way to do so without having a permanent address. It's not like Florida doesn't have a significant transient population, at least some of whom are presumably driving legally titled vehicles
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If I were planning such a monster road trip, I'd look into how to register a car in Florida as a non-resident, and buy something there. I'm sure there must be a way to do so without having a permanent address. It's not like Florida doesn't have a significant transient population, at least some of whom are presumably driving legally titled vehicles
Florida is the State of choice for registering grey market vehicles, if it has a VIN and you have a Bill of Sale, you can get Florida plates. I suppose this is why the OP wants to start there but insuring a RHD car on Florida plates for use in Canada by a driver on a British license will be a caper. The Veterans Admin has an arrangement covering that (which we used for the cars on CO plates in ON). Maybe it would be easiest to simply serve a few years in the US Army before starting the adventure.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

I plan on using a Novelty Car that was never available in the US or Canada.
For A Youtube Show.

I have been Quoted 1200 GBP to ship it

Budget for Car is Under 4k

I have Been Quoted a Lot more than that for Rental 4/5Months In the USA.
With the Mileage I expect to be doing.

I Don't Plan on registering it in the USA, As I don't need to.

Insurance have no found a Canadian Company but have found US company that would Insure a British Car.

The MPG for American Cars is Terrible compared to European Cars, more so with my Budget.

Last edited by loss; Mar 26th 2015 at 3:35 am.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

and what happens to the car after your trip is over?

what are the emissions from the car, and how do they rate with what is allowable in the US and in Canada?

which provinces do you intend to drive through? There may be differing regulations in different provinces or states.

it seems to me that you have a low budget if that includes the cost of fuel ............. unless you are driving an electric vehicle
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Emissions would only Factor in If I was Reg it. Unless it was really bad Visible
I may just scrap it at the end of my Trip.

Budget is just the Purchase price of Car.

https://goo.gl/maps/gH7yk
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:43 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The MPG for American Cars is Terrible compared to European Cars, more so with my Budget.
Do you realize that European and Japanese vehicles are readily available in North America, if you're averse to American models?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.