Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk pensions in Canada

Uk pensions in Canada

Old May 12th 2020, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk pensions in Canada

Originally Posted by Banff69
Coming on to a forum I thought I would get some comments from people in similar circumstance, not from people trying to sell me their services.
For future ref, please just use the report button, thx.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 12th 2020 at 3:51 pm.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Coming on to a forum I thought I would get some comments from people in similar circumstance, not from people trying to sell me their services. Also, the below quote puts me off...

In the majority of cases, we do not charge for our services. Instead, we receive remuneration from the RRSP provider of the Canadian plan. Therefore, we do not have to charge our clients for helping them transfer their UK pension funds to Canada.

This suggests to me that you will receive commission from the pension as I have seen it worded this way before. That is a no go for me.
Hi Banff, I have been on this forum for 13 years and made over 400 posts over that time, and have helped many posters with there questions or queries over that time, and yes, Pension Transfers to Canada is what I do. You requested help and answers to your questions, and thats what I always try and provide on here. Many people have used my services on this forum over the years and some may also reply to your post. I regards to your "quote" , I can receive renumeration one of 2 ways when I help a client, either directly from the company who the client is pacing business with or I can charge a fee for service directly to the client, either way the client has the option and full transparency.

If the purpose of you coming onto a forum is to try and get answers to your questions, then that is what I will look to provide, especially when it is related to an area that I would like to think I know a little bit about ........and also, you did get a response from somebody who has been in the same circumstances as yourself, I too had my pension funds in the UK before transferring them to Canada

Last edited by mjwalker007; May 12th 2020 at 4:05 pm.
Old May 12th 2020, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Banff69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Touched a nerve I think? Apologies if so but not wanting to be sold or swayed when I am asking questions. If I want that, I'll contact someone directly.
Your post signature also did not have your website attached first off and now it does which would have made me discount comments anyway and is an informal way of advertising your services.
Old May 12th 2020, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Touched a nerve I think? Apologies if so but not wanting to be sold or swayed when I am asking questions. If I want that, I'll contact someone directly.
Your post signature also did not have your website attached first off and now it does which would have made me discount comments anyway and is an informal way of advertising your services.
Which is perfectly fine, as per site rules. Mjwalker007 is a long established member and it's no problem for him to do so.

Now let's get this thread back on track eh?
Old May 12th 2020, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Banff, touched a nerve ? not at all .............As a long standing member of the forum I always have and always will try and help any person on the forum that has questions in regards to UK pension transfers .......and as a newbie to the forum, welcome !
Old May 12th 2020, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Banff69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure you are and I am sure you have helped I just didn't like the first few comments collaborating information and then trying to solicit services. I like that you have your website at the bottom now as now I can see that you do have a vested interest in comments and has the necessary declaration that any registered investment adviser should have online. Working in law, I do have some knowledge of what can and cannot be done.

Last post from me and this thread can get back on track. Although I feel it was still on track and people should know if commenters have a vested interest.

As a newbie looking forward to what else this site has to offer the expat! Lockdown has given me more times to look and find things such as these!
Old May 13th 2020, 12:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
Hi Banff, touched a nerve ? not at all .............As a long standing member of the forum I always have and always will try and help any person on the forum that has questions in regards to UK pension transfers .......and as a newbie to the forum, welcome !
You have given valuable advice to many and it's been appreciated.. you have a great reputation and as a long standing member we're glad to have you here!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

cliveslade is an unknown quantity at this point

quick question how is the Blacktower Pension going - i am about to move and looking for some feedback on the compmnay - Can you help?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 30th 2020 at 2:48 pm. Reason: Contact details removed
Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cliveslade
quick question how is the Blacktower Pension going - i am about to move and looking for some feedback on the compmnay - Can you help?
Hi, welcome to BE.

I've removed your contact details, we ask that you please don't put them on the forum, which is for your own sake - BE is a public forum so they'll be picked up by every spambot & weirdo out there! People can contact you via the forum if they wish.

Where are you about to move to, back to the UK?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:20 am
Just Joined

aerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond reputeaerobar104 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone had dealings with Cidel or IAG to have your pension from the UK moved to Canada re QROPS. I asked Cidel to contact me via their website, and nothing. Does not inspire confidence.

IAG said to look up financial advisors from their website by plugging in my Post Code. Which I did, and everything is in Richmond BC. Can I trust these people? Lol.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

IAG are based out of Quebec and are probably more recognized on the east coast, although they have offices across the country.
They are a good provider in regards to the QROPS options available, having been a Canadian Insurance and Investment provider for over a 100 years. They also have a strong "standard and poor" rating.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

IAG are based out of Quebec and are probably more recognized on the east coast, although they have offices across the country.
They are a good provider in regards to the QROPS options available, having been a Canadian Insurance and Investment provider for over a 100 years. They also have a strong "standard and poor" rating.
Puzzlingly, the links for IA advisors in my area seem to be companies that provide services to investment advisers rather than investment advisers themselves.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 11:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my FA (Who sells IA products through their Fundex subsiduary) about QROPs. He had to seek info from head office as he'd not come across this before. (Not surprising really).
He received a response and forwarded on some detail to me - checklist, process etc. One thing that jumped out and I quote directly from the IA Clarington document:

Q: What is the minimum age to establish a QROPS
at iA Clarington?
A: The client must be 55 years of age or older, per
our agreement with HM Revenue & Customs.

I'm 52, so don't meet this criteria. I understood, perhaps incorrectly that one could move their UK pension into a QROPs at any age, but not access it before a certain age. Is the minimum age quoted an IAG thing or a UK Revenue requirement?

mjwalker007 ?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm 52, so don't meet this criteria. I understood, perhaps incorrectly that one could move their UK pension into a QROPs at any age, but not access it before a certain age. Is the minimum age quoted an IAG thing or a UK Revenue requirement?

mjwalker007 ?
IA have made the decision to guarantee to HMRC that money cannot be accessed below age 55 by the simple expedient of only accepting transfers from people age 55 or older. You will either have to wait 3 years until you are age 55 OR hope a new Canadian provider comes along that will accept transfers in below age 55 (with the onerous procedures and reporting requirements that HMRC will impose). Australia had tge same thing happen 10 or 15 years sgo when ALL schemes were disqualified from QROPS, the first few schemes back then only accepted them for age 55 plus, then later opened it up to younger aged transferees.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 2:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
IA have made the decision to guarantee to HMRC that money cannot be accessed below age 55 by the simple expedient of only accepting transfers from people age 55 or older. You will either have to wait 3 years until you are age 55 OR hope a new Canadian provider comes along that will accept transfers in below age 55 (with the onerous procedures and reporting requirements that HMRC will impose). Australia had tge same thing happen 10 or 15 years sgo when ALL schemes were disqualified from QROPS, the first few schemes back then only accepted them for age 55 plus, then later opened it up to younger aged transferees.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll just have to hope that the buyout for final salary schemes will still be worthwhile in 3 years!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.