Reload this Page >

UK Pension options

UK Pension options

Old May 15th 2020, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

OttawaBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pension options

Hi,

I am a Canadian resident and expect to become a dual citizen in the near future. I have a UK pension that I have no need to access. Were I a UK resident, I could leave it in my will to my kids (they are UK resident). If you are not familiar with this process, the recipients receive the pension 'as-is'. They can draw on it at any time and they pay tax and their then current marginal rate. So the received pension is still tax advantaged, but there are no restriction on how it is drawn.

I know that if I had an RRSP then it would get dissolved on my death and taxed as income in the year of death. But this is a UK pension. So is it different? Can I, for example, write a UK will and pass on these assets and therefore keep them outside of Canada for ever?

I have googled this endlessly, and am no closer to getting an answer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 15th 2020, 10:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension options

There are endless disagreements on BE, and further afield, as to whether someone with assets in two countries [1] "needs" two wills, or [2] if one will is not only all that is required, but two can cause problems. Both camps can cite numerous experts and professional advice, but I am firmly in the "one will camp". A will, written in English, is your "last will and testament', and there can only be one "last" will, so by having two wills you open up a can of worms (if two wills have different beneficiaries) becuase the beneficiary(ies) under the later will can challenge the validity of any preceding earlier will.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 16th 2020 at 12:10 am.
Old May 15th 2020, 10:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's not necessarily taxed in your year of death... see https://www.taxtips.ca/filing/pensio...ibleincome.htm
When an RRSP (or RRIF) annuitant dies, the Income Tax Act (ITA) normally requires the deceased to include full plan value in income for the year of death.

Exceptions apply if a spouse, common-law partner or financially dependent disabled child or grandchild—a qualified beneficiaryinherits the assets. In such cases, a tax-deferred transfer (commonly known as a rollover) is available if the proceeds are contributed to an RRSP, RRIF, pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), specified pension plan (SPP) or qualifying annuity for the qualified beneficiary.
Don't know if this is of use.. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...gn-income.html

I presume that if you don't bring your pension to Canada and it remains in the UK and you leave it in your UK will that there wouldn't be a 'claw back' here.. but you might need professional advice on that one. I'd also double check on making a will that is valid in both countries and whether you need a will from Canada 'reprobated' in the UK, in effect. (I think there's a thread on it somewhere on BE if you do a search).

Old May 25th 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK you can take 25% of your whole pension fund tax as a tax free lump sum. Am I right in thinking that this would not be the case if you were tax resident in Canada at the time?
Old May 25th 2020, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
In the UK you can take 25% of your whole pension fund tax as a tax free lump sum. Am I right in thinking that this would not be the case if you were tax resident in Canada at the time?
Yes, correct. If anyone is age 55 or older in the UK, they may be wise to take the tax free lump sum BEFORE settling in Canada for good.

Have a read of the wiki here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trans..._Free_Lump_Sum

Old May 26th 2020, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yes, correct. If anyone is age 55 or older in the UK, they may be wise to take the tax free lump sum BEFORE settling in Canada for good.

Have a read of the wiki here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trans..._Free_Lump_Sum
Thanks that's as I thought. Is it just a case of staying out of Canada / in the UK for more than 6 months in a given year to change tax status? I'm thinking of someone who has a substantial pension pot but who will be living in Canada for a few years before their 55th birthday.
Could they return to the UK for say 6 months and a day to draw their tax free sum or is it not as simple as that?
Old May 26th 2020, 3:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Thanks that's as I thought. Is it just a case of staying out of Canada / in the UK for more than 6 months in a given year to change tax status? I'm thinking of someone who has a substantial pension pot but who will be living in Canada for a few years before their 55th birthday.
Could they return to the UK for say 6 months and a day to draw their tax free sum or is it not as simple as that?
It would depend somewhat on whether they were resident for tax purposes in Canada during that year... having 'significant ties - such as a house, spouse, family, bank accounts etc., - can complicate your tax status when out of the country.. and if you intended to move back within 6 months that could complicate matters further as you may not be deemed to have 'established ties in another country' and would therefore be liable for Canada taxes on the income you have received..
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ce-status.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html
For example..
Under the Canadian income tax system, an individual's liability for income tax is based on his or her status as a resident or a non-resident of Canada. An individual who is resident in Canada during a tax year is subject to Canadian income tax on his or her worldwide income from all sources. Generally, a non-resident individual is only subject to Canadian income tax on income from sources inside Canada.
If you established ties in a country that Canada has a tax treaty with and you are considered a resident of that country, but you are otherwise a factual resident of Canada, meaning you maintain significant residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada. The same rules apply to deemed non-residents as non-residents of Canada