Reload this Page >

UK Pension and benefit questions

UK Pension and benefit questions

Old Apr 10th 2023, 9:21 am
Just Joined

baxterboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pension and benefit questions

Hi

Could someone explain UK pensions and benefits for me?

Is the UK Basic State Pension the same as the Old Age Security pension in Canada?

What is the equivalent to Canada Pension Plan (CCP) in UK?
Can a British widow who became a Canadian citizen receive a percentage of her husband's British CCP equivalent?

Can the same former British widow receive the "over 80' benefit?

Can British veteran living in Canada who was wounded receive benefit from from UK?
When the veteran dies, does widow receive a portion of the benefit?

Does UK Department of Work and Pensions distribute the UK Basic State Pension and the CPP equivalent.

Thank you

Last edited by baxterboy; Apr 10th 2023 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension and benefit questions

Originally Posted by baxterboy
Could someone explain UK pensions and benefits for me?
Is the UK Basic State Pension the same as the Old Age Security pension in Canada?
What is the equivalent to Canada Pension Plan (CCP) in UK?
UK state pension is based on what National Insurance has been paid in (or credited as if paid in some situations) and that is similar to Canada Pension Plan which is also contributions based.

Canada's Old Age Security is based on length of residency in Canada - actual residency, not limited to time as a permanent resident. There's no equivalent in the UK, although Canada also has Guaranteed Income Supplement which can top up the OAS. There are some similarities with GIS and the UK's Pension Credit in that both are supposed to maintain a minimum level of income. For Pension Credit one needs to be UK resident.
Can a British widow who became a Canadian citizen receive a percentage of her husband's British CCP equivalent?
Don't know that one.
Can the same former British widow receive the "over 80' benefit?
see here

Old Apr 10th 2023, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bristol.

I'm a bit shocked that there's no equivalent to Canada's Old Age Security (OAS) in the UK.
Does this mean that a woman in the UK, who chooses to be a traditional old school stay at home wife and mother, wouldn't get a pension at 65.
How would such a woman survive in the UK?

The Basic State Pension (like CPP) is only received if a person has worked and paid into it. Does a UK widow receive a percentage of her husband's Basic State Pension after he dies?
Old Apr 10th 2023, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit shocked that there's no equivalent to Canada's Old Age Security (OAS) in the UK.
Does this mean that a woman in the UK, who chooses to be a traditional old school stay at home wife and mother, wouldn't get a pension at 65.
They can get credits as if they’d worked for those years. Ditto full time students, carers, etc.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 10th 2023 at 7:49 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bristol.

That would be the NI credits "in some situations" I mentioned that would likely give a partial pension. But then there would be Pension Credit instead or to top up a partial pension. In the UK Pension Credit does what OAS plus GIS does in Canada.

The Basic State Pension (like CPP) is only received if a person has worked and paid into it. Does a UK widow receive a percentage of her husband's Basic State Pension after he dies?
https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension...-civil-partner
Old Apr 10th 2023, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

I'm as thick as two planks when it comes to this stuff.....
Various references and elements in the link are a bit confusing for me such as a 'protected state pension' and how to differentiate it from an unprotected one

Basically, though, Bristol, I'm concluding from the link that a spouse who doesn't receive a basic state pension of her own will receive half of her husband's basic pension when he passes?
Is that your understanding?
Old Apr 11th 2023, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

I'm as thick as two planks when it comes to this stuff.....
Various references and elements in the link are a bit confusing for me such as a 'protected state pension' and how to differentiate it from an unprotected one

Basically, though, Bristol, I'm concluding from the link that a spouse who doesn't receive a basic state pension of her own will receive half of her husband's basic pension when he passes?
Is that your understanding?
Until I found that link I had believed that a widow no longer inherited anything from the late husband's state pension. I was sure I read previously that was abolished as part of a package of changes. But it looks like different things happen according to status as at given dates.

I know nothing of protected or unprotected pensions but I would assume the recipient would know which they got from their original notice and maybe subsequent notices.
Old Apr 11th 2023, 12:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Just to revisit this, these are the Pension Credit levels in the UK

So a person of pension age with low or no income would have a minimum £217 weekly.
That's a similar level to the equivalent in Canada with the "bonus" that in the UK there would be assistance with rent on top.