British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   UK passport renewel from Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/uk-passport-renewel-canada-743755/)

Almost Canadian Jan 4th 2012 12:51 pm

Re: UK passport renewel from Canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 9821380)
Maybe that's changed. Or changed back.

I renewed my UK passport in Canada (done in Canada) around 2006 and it's a ten year one.

I believe that reference is to a Canadian passport, not a British one issued in Canada.

Third6 Jan 4th 2012 1:22 pm

I mailed mine home to my mum today. I'm having her add my long birth certificate as a precaution...if they don't need it, whatever, at least it's there. I need this passport ASAP so don't want them contacting me for more info 3 months down the line.

MarylandNed Jan 4th 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 9821380)
Maybe that's changed. Or changed back.

I renewed my UK passport in Canada (done in Canada) around 2006 and it's a ten year one.

Right - but I was talking about a Canadian passport being a 5 year one.

transatlantic Jan 4th 2012 2:06 pm

Another passport renewal question here!

We are taking a trip back to the UK at the end of Jan arriving back in Canada early Feb....... 4 days before my sons passport expires.

Should I apply for a renewal when we get back or renew it in person while over there using the premium same day service?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Third6 Jan 5th 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by transatlantic (Post 9821726)
Another passport renewal question here!

We are taking a trip back to the UK at the end of Jan arriving back in Canada early Feb....... 4 days before my sons passport expires.

Should I apply for a renewal when we get back or renew it in person while over there using the premium same day service?

Thanks for your help in advance!

How much is the permium service? It's $211 plus $33 for postage to do it via Washington DC so weigh up the costs and see which is cheaper.

I would be inclined to say do the same day premium just for the less hassle and shorter waiting time!

transatlantic Jan 5th 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Third6 (Post 9823230)
How much is the permium service? It's $211 plus $33 for postage to do it via Washington DC so weigh up the costs and see which is cheaper.

I would be inclined to say do the same day premium just for the less hassle and shorter waiting time!

Its £109.50 for a kiddies same day in the UK so I guess its cheaper this way, however I might just postpone the trip and send the application to my mother and she can sort it out in the UK for £49!

penny farthing Jan 6th 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9820475)
The UK passport is cheaper if you get it in the UK. They rip you off when you have to apply from abroad. Also an adult UK passport is valid for 10 years instead of the 5 year passport you get in Canada. So when you factor those two things in, the UK passport doesn't seem as expensive.

Also, all regular passport processing is being moved back to the UK (production already has been moved back to the UK) so you soon won't be sending anything to Washington at all. I think overseas embassies and consulates will still have the ability to issue emergency passports - but they will not handle applications for regular passports.

Apparently Canada will be offering a 10 year passport option soon. I don't know why it's taken them so long. A 5 year passport is pathetic.

Money.... thats why its taken them so long.. same with driving license - why can't we have one expiring at 70 years of age like the old paper UK one, again its the money.

Third6 Jan 6th 2012 5:45 am

Originally Posted by transatlantic (Post 9823823)
Its £109.50 for a kiddies same day in the UK so I guess its cheaper this way, however I might just postpone the trip and send the application to my mother and she can sort it out in the UK for £49!

I remember a few years ago when adult passports were that price! :rofl:

SivoxII Jan 6th 2012 7:38 am

Well, it's my turn at this game!!

My British Passport runs out VERY soon and I'm weighing up the options, based on people's approaches above. Do I bite the bullet and go through Washington, or find a method of working a renewal through the UK?

Hmm.

transatlantic Jan 6th 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by SivoxII (Post 9825519)
Well, it's my turn at this game!!

My British Passport runs out VERY soon and I'm weighing up the options, based on people's approaches above. Do I bite the bullet and go through Washington, or find a method of working a renewal through the UK?

Hmm.

Having just decided to apply the UK route and use a relatives address I get to this question on the online form

'Does the applicant currently reside in the United Kingdom'

It seems like they insist that overseas applicants must go through the respective embassies, I'd be interested to know how everyone else avoids this?

Siouxie Jan 6th 2012 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by willowfaery67 (Post 9820222)
Hello there,

I have been trying to search the threads for info on renewing your UK passport from Canada, so my apologies if this thread has been done before.

I understand that Washington deals with all requests and process the applications there. However, we have no-one here in Canada that can countersign the photos so we need to send these to the UK regardless.

What I would like to know is , is this the only way of doing it or can I send completed forms, photos and current passports to a relative in the UK to forward onto passport office as you would if still living in the UK? Surely this would be the less expensive way of doing it yourself? and for a family of 4 including the washington processing and individual courier fees it works out mighty expensive.:confused:

Many thanks for any advice :fingerscrossed:

It states on the Washington website that if you have not changed in appearance dramatically, you do not need to get your photo countersigned. Obviously this won't work for children, but for adults it should.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...steps-to-renew

Countersignatures on the back of your photographs are not necessary and the countersignature box on the application form does not need to be completed if your appearance has not changed significantly since your previous passport was issued.

:)

Edit: For children under 16. the countersignature need not be a British Passport holder, it can be anyone who is of good standing and who has known the parent for 2 years - they only have to be willing to put their passport number down on the form.

Are they in school? Could the head teacher sign? A friend or neighbor?

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...child-passport

SivoxII Jan 6th 2012 9:03 pm

Thank you siouxie, as that is one of my many 'current' queries (countersigning conditions) ... as the million dollar question in my mind was "how to do you measure change in appearance???" ... apart from that old cookie jar, ageing, I personally have had no real change in appearance, similar hair style (said loosely lololol ... and similar general appearance etc).

Also, one question I haven't yet confirmed ... does UK require a different passport photo specification? ... as I hear varied responses to background colour/sizes (in that Canada requirements differ from that of the UK?)

All the best.

Siouxie Jan 6th 2012 10:05 pm

You are very welcome :)

As to size of photo's, on the website it states:

two identical passport sized photographs. These must comply with the IPS Rules for Photographs although for overseas applications the background of the passport photograph required can be white and do not have to be printed on plain white photographic paper.

Photo's must be 45mm high and 35mm wide. You can get all the details from this pdf or for general info go here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_174152 (remembering that you do not have to have the specific background per above).

I have used a photo booth before - you will find them in some malls - but any photo shop should be able to provide them if you give them the dimensions.

:)

Third6 Jan 7th 2012 5:05 am

If you take the specs with you Shoppers and WalMart will both do the British photo sizes for you. I think Shoppers is cheaper though.

BristolUK Jan 7th 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9821602)
I believe that reference is to a Canadian passport, not a British one issued in Canada.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9821673)
Right - but I was talking about a Canadian passport being a 5 year one.

Yes, I see that now. It's just that as the subject was renewing in Canada I mistakenly assumed it was a reference to a Canada issued UK passport.