Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK passport renewel from Canada

UK passport renewel from Canada

Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:15 pm

Location: Originally Leicestershire, England...Moved to Barrie, Ontario. Autumn 2010
willowfaery67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewel from Canada

Hello there,

I have been trying to search the threads for info on renewing your UK passport from Canada, so my apologies if this thread has been done before.

I understand that Washington deals with all requests and process the applications there. However, we have no-one here in Canada that can countersign the photos so we need to send these to the UK regardless.

What I would like to know is , is this the only way of doing it or can I send completed forms, photos and current passports to a relative in the UK to forward onto passport office as you would if still living in the UK? Surely this would be the less expensive way of doing it yourself? and for a family of 4 including the washington processing and individual courier fees it works out mighty expensive.

Many thanks for any advice
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice
Default Re: UK passport renewel from Canada

I'm in the same situation as yourself. I'm mailing my app back to the UK today actually, to have my photo countersigned. As far as I can see you need to send it to Washington DC as it asks what country you're singing the form in. Also...the mailing address would be Canadian.

I guess you could lie and have your family in the UK forward you the passport once it arrives but that sounds a bit risky.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:25 pm

Location: Originally Leicestershire, England...Moved to Barrie, Ontario. Autumn 2010

mmm...I understand that we would need to put down our current Canadian address, I just think its another way of getting more money out of you!!!

Goodluck with yours...do you happen to know the current processing times?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:27 pm

I think I will give them a ring...although I know that will be a challenge finding the right person that understands what you are asking!!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

The passport is actually done in the UK now.

Sent everything off to Washington, about 2 and a half weeks later I got my original documents back from there, couple of days later the passport came from the UK.

But saying all of that my passport came back quicker than my son's Canadian passport but at least that was cheaper.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
The passport is actually done in the UK now.

Sent everything off to Washington, about 2 and a half weeks later I got my original documents back from there, couple of days later the passport came from the UK.

But saying all of that my passport came back quicker than my son's Canadian passport but at least that was cheaper.
The UK passport is cheaper if you get it in the UK. They rip you off when you have to apply from abroad. Also an adult UK passport is valid for 10 years instead of the 5 year passport you get in Canada. So when you factor those two things in, the UK passport doesn't seem as expensive.

Also, all regular passport processing is being moved back to the UK (production already has been moved back to the UK) so you soon won't be sending anything to Washington at all. I think overseas embassies and consulates will still have the ability to issue emergency passports - but they will not handle applications for regular passports.

Apparently Canada will be offering a 10 year passport option soon. I don't know why it's taken them so long. A 5 year passport is pathetic.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

we just renewed my husbands passport by sending it to a friend in england who then sent it back to us took three weeks and cost about 75 pounds as you dont have your address on your passport i cant see it matters and was a lot cheaper as well
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:04 pm

we just renewed my husbands passport by sending it to a friend in england who then sent it back to us took three weeks and cost about 75 pounds as you dont have your address on your passport i cant see it matters and was a lot cheaper as well
Thank you ...that is what I wanted to know...so we can send our 4 passports with forms , photos etc by UPS to our in-laws in the UK with a credit card authorization form for our UK sterling account. They then can send back to us and hopefully job done!

I sat and worked out last night for 3 adult and 1 child would come to just under $900...big difference hey!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:07 pm

The UK passport is cheaper if you get it in the UK. They rip you off when you have to apply from abroad. Also an adult UK passport is valid for 10 years instead of the 5 year passport you get in Canada. So when you factor those two things in, the UK passport doesn't seem as expensive.
my point exactley ...I think we pay through the nose for everything here...insurance, credit etc ..thank you so much :-)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

that is a big saving ! just make sure they do your photos european size as the first lot she did for us were way to big and would have been sent back !
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:26 pm

$200.11 per adult $134.00 per child under 16...plus $33 courier charge per application.

My exact reason for wanting to by pass this uneccessary expensive service!!!

I will let you all know what I find out
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Also an adult UK passport is valid for 10 years instead of the 5 year passport you get in Canada......

Apparently Canada will be offering a 10 year passport option soon.
Maybe that's changed. Or changed back.

I renewed my UK passport in Canada (done in Canada) around 2006 and it's a ten year one.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:04 pm

You can still renew an Adult Uk passport for 10 years via washington...the childs one is 5.

I'm still worried though as we have PR status and how would that get put into the passport if I send them via the UK and not washington?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:34 am
Just Joined

MarzBaR is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my renewed from Washington and they wanted my original birth certificate and the process took a fair bit of time. I would have been better off applying from the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

not sure you can do it via the uk then, i renewed my husbands just before we became prs if you already have visas in then you will probably have to do it via washington as the london office will obviously know you live in canada ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.