UK passport renewal from Ottawa??

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal from Ottawa??

You should be able to complete the form on a iPad or a friend’s computer. You will need to send back your old passport. It’s simpler to upload a digital photograph for a renewal.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Warbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
What everyone else said! There's no longer a benefit to renewing early... ISTR that is used to be you could renew within some time (6 months?) of expiry and have the remaining time added on to the validity of your new passport. Now, in order to comply with international agreements on passport validity, no passport can be valid for longer than 10 years, so time can't be added on to your new passport.

It's such a quick process to do the online renewal (took me less than 2 weeks including courier transit time late last year), that I'd plan to leave it as near as you can to the expiry of your current passport and then renew through the online portal. The only circumstance I can think of where that might be different would be if you have a work permit tied to a particular passport and don't want to go through the hassle of updating your WP when you renew the passport (do you even still need to do that? I think I did back in around 2008 but could be misremembering)
Hi there,

My passport expires on 14th Jan this year.

I’m looking to renew it online and then express courier it to the UK and back.

i need a week turnaround. Any recommendations as to which courier is most reliable and fastest?

i read an old thread on here that a guy had his new passport within a week as it’s all pre validated online.

thank you
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:08 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warbo

Hi there,

My passport expires on 14th Jan this year.

I’m looking to renew it online and then express courier it to the UK and back.

i need a week turnaround. Any recommendations as to which courier is most reliable and fastest?

i read an old thread on here that a guy had his new passport within a week as it’s all pre validated online.

thank you
Turnaround inside a week is probably a bit of a stretch. 10 days or so seems to be about the average for a renewal through the online process. I used FedEx for the outbound portion as we have an account and a regular pickup at work; the Passport Office uses DHL, I think, for the return leg. They all offer an express service to the UK, for a price....