UK Paramedic Science Student wanting to transfer to Canadian uni

UK Paramedic Science Student wanting to transfer to Canadian uni

Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

BigPimpinBalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK Paramedic Science Student wanting to transfer to Canadian uni

Hi everyone,

It's my first time on the forums

I'm currently undertaking a Degree in Paramedic Science in the UK, and wondered how easy it is to transfer to Canada doing a Degree in Paramedicine. I'd quite like to go for the Sept 2014 starts in Canada, which is when I would have completed my first year of the degree in the UK.

I wouldn't mind starting over the degree from scratch in Canada, but has anybody else ever done this?

I don't have any A-Levels as such, just 8 GCSE's at Grade C. However I'm hoping that because I would have a year of University level Paramedicine under my belt it would make applying to Universities in Canada a lot easier.

Any advice welcome
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Paramedic Science Student wanting to transfer to Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You couldn't 'transfer' jobs as such, but you could certainly study in Canada if you have the funds and meet the study permit criteria.

Are you asking about studying/being a paramedic in Canada, or about the visa you'd need? Sorry, but it's not clear from your post what you want info on, and if it's the former rather than the latter, I'll move this from the visa section so that you get more response.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Sorry, yea I'm asking about studying to be a Paramedic in Canada rather than the visa requirements at this stage. Just to find out whether it's actually possible. It's really difficult doing things via the Internet because it seems a lot of places only provide a telephone number rather than an email address, and despite accepting international students none of them have an international number to call.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigPimpinBalla
Sorry, yea I'm asking about studying to be a Paramedic in Canada rather than the visa requirements at this stage. Just to find out whether it's actually possible. It's really difficult doing things via the Internet because it seems a lot of places only provide a telephone number rather than an email address, and despite accepting international students none of them have an international number to call.
Ok, I'll move this and hopefully you'll get some help.

When you say they don't provide an international tel no, what do you mean? Why can't you call their normal tel no?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

It's really difficult doing things via the Internet because it seems a lot of places only provide a telephone number rather than an email address, and despite accepting international students none of them have an international number to call.
Most Universities will have an international office just for international students. I'm attending Telfer at uOttawa next month and their international office has a separate website here: http://www.international.uottawa.ca/en/ I think most universities have the same setup.

I've found that (especially at work) Canadians are more likely to respond to in-person enquiries via telephone rather than email.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: UK Paramedic Science Student wanting to transfer to Canadian uni

Ah that's awesome, thanks

Does anybody know about how to contact the international part of University of Toronto? I tried to email the course director for Paramedicine but she wasn't able to answer my question regarding transfer of credits/entry requirements for international applicants.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

well if you put "University of Toronto international students" into google
and click on the first link you get a whole website for just such a thing

it even includes the university's phone number
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to read some of the information contained in these websites:

Equivalency: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/.../equiv_qa.html

http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/c...com-medic.html

List of colleges that run accredited Paramedic training in Ontario: http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/Search...MEDIC/_/N-lqhm

http://www.humber.ca/program/paramed...n-requirements
http://www.centennialcollege.ca/Prog...x?Program=9101

Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Thank you for your help so far

Yes I've got a license to drive any vehicle up to 7.5 Tonnes (known here as a C1) and I'm IHCD D1 & D2 trained for driving under emergency conditions, so hopefully that will count towards something.

There's just something really appealing about Canadian Paramedicine, they seem amazingly well trained compared to most other countries.

I wouldn't mind waiting until I've finished my degree here in the UK and then applying for equivalency, but that will take another 4 years and I'd rather learn from scratch in Canada so that I understood everything straight away and got the experience I needed in the same country, as well as being able to live in such a cool place

The thing that worries me is this part:

Admission Requirements
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status
Grade 12 English (ENG4C or ENG4U). If English is not your first language, refer to the English Language Proficiency Policy
Grade 11 or Grade 12 Biology (SBI3C, SBI3U or SBI4U), or equivalent
Grade 11 or Grade 12 Chemistry (SCH3U, SCH4C or SCH4U) or equivalent
Grade 12 Mathematics (MAP4C, MCT4C, MDM4U, MCB4U, MGA4U, MCV4U or MHF4U)
Completion of admission testing for senior-level biology, chemistry, writing skills, and arithmetic (fee $35)

I've only been educated to GCSE Level when it comes to Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English etc... which basically means High School level (all at Grade C nonetheless). Guessing that's not a high enough standard?

EDIT:

I just saw that for Humber at least, you can be considered a mature student if you're over 19 (I'm 22) and have been out of high school for more than a year. So hopefully this could be an option for me As it says they don't pay attention to your previous qualifications if you're applying as a mature student, and it all depends on your test results. However worrying that may be, considering I haven't studied Biology, Physics or Chemistry for a number of years ha.

Last edited by BigPimpinBalla; Jul 10th 2013 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help so far

Yes I've got a license to drive any vehicle up to 7.5 Tonnes (known here as a C1) and I'm IHCD D1 & D2 trained for driving under emergency conditions, so hopefully that will count towards something.

There's just something really appealing about Canadian Paramedicine, they seem amazingly well trained compared to most other countries.

I wouldn't mind waiting until I've finished my degree here in the UK and then applying for equivalency, but that will take another 4 years and I'd rather learn from scratch in Canada so that I understood everything straight away and got the experience I needed in the same country, as well as being able to live in such a cool place

The thing that worries me is this part:

Admission Requirements
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status
Grade 12 English (ENG4C or ENG4U). If English is not your first language, refer to the English Language Proficiency Policy
Grade 11 or Grade 12 Biology (SBI3C, SBI3U or SBI4U), or equivalent
Grade 11 or Grade 12 Chemistry (SCH3U, SCH4C or SCH4U) or equivalent
Grade 12 Mathematics (MAP4C, MCT4C, MDM4U, MCB4U, MGA4U, MCV4U or MHF4U)
Completion of admission testing for senior-level biology, chemistry, writing skills, and arithmetic (fee $35)

I've only been educated to GCSE Level when it comes to Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English etc... which basically means High School level (all at Grade C nonetheless). Guessing that's not a high enough standard?

EDIT:

I just saw that for Humber at least, you can be considered a mature student if you're over 19 (I'm 22) and have been out of high school for more than a year. So hopefully this could be an option for me As it says they don't pay attention to your previous qualifications if you're applying as a mature student, and it all depends on your test results. However worrying that may be, considering I haven't studied Biology, Physics or Chemistry for a number of years ha.
I think the 'mature student status' might apply

Presumably your qualifications got you onto the UK course - I think the best thing to do is to contact the various colleges and see what they require for UK applicants.

I don't believe my nephew had the academic requirements either, but he trained at Niagara College as a mature student about 10 years ago (after volunteering with St. Johns' Ambulance for many years) .

http://www.niagaracollege.ca/content...Paramedic.aspx and then took the Advanced Paramedic course. He is now working as an EMS (Paramedic) in Niagara / St. Catherines area.

Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I think the 'mature student status' might apply

Presumably your qualifications got you onto the UK course - I think the best thing to do is to contact the various colleges and see what they require for UK applicants.

I don't believe my nephew had the academic requirements either, but he trained at Niagara College as a mature student about 10 years ago (after volunteering with St. Johns' Ambulance for many years) .

http://www.niagaracollege.ca/content...Paramedic.aspx and then took the Advanced Paramedic course. He is now working as an EMS (Paramedic) in Niagara / St. Catherines area.
I'll second that. Forget Universities, you won't get in, but concentrate on Colleges. They're better anyway for vocational training.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Oh right, sorry I don't have a preference about College or University, I just presumed colleges were called Universities in America/Canada. But yea, if these colleges provide adequate training to become a PCP then that's absolutely perfect

Oh and I've just seen centennial don't accept international students for the Paramedic programme

Last edited by BigPimpinBalla; Jul 10th 2013 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Another no from Humber regarding international students for Paramedicine.

Starting to think this isn't going to happen...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

Just out of interest, how did you get admitted onto a degree course in the UK with C grade GCSE's as your highest level of education, at only 22 years old? I wouldn't have thought that was possible? Or are you doing a foundation degree for the first year and transferring onto a full degree in year two?

It'll be important to understand your current academic status to determine admissibility to University in Canada. It's my understanding that the universities are fairly strict on their pre-registration qualifications. i.e. I think it would be extremely hard to get on a degree course in Canada with only GCSE's. In my experience Canadian universities place much much more emphasis on Academic ability over vocational qualifications experience. So 'A' Levels would be essential.

That being said, admission to a college such as Humber, Centennial would have lower admissions requirements and are good colleges imho.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

I think that I read the UofT program was run at Centennial College.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.