Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK nurses in Canada

UK nurses in Canada

Old Feb 1st 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Question UK nurses in Canada

HI! Just starting to research emigrating to Canada. Looking at Calgary initially, been on a few trips out there and Ontario. Anyone want to share their experiences of emigrating, nursing in Canada/Calgary etc etc. Can anyone refer me to good info sites about everything!? Got the normal govermental sites, thinking about personal sites with experiences.
Thanks in advance!

Also, what is the one thing you wish you knew before flying out.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my wife is a UK O/R nurse, 14 years experience, F grade.

She converted to Registered Nurse in 89.

Applied to register in Alberta but was turned down as she needed more time training in Psychiatric/Obstetrics areas. Alberta weren't very helpful in making up the hours, basically it was a case of spend £/$1000's going over there to train up in specific shortcomings plus lose the income in UK, or try elsewhere.

Some UK nurses will have problems if they don't have enough Psych or Obs theory and Practical training. It's the same even if you have Nursing Diploma or a Degree. Canadian associations simply won't take you on that basis only - it's all about your initial/conversion training.

Ontario are supposedly more helpful than others, if you have a shortcoming you can make up in UK if using a UK nurse training school.

My wife applied to BC and is awaiting assessment, but if she comes up short in any area she can put together a training proposal in the UK along with training school and then submit to BC for approval then get registered. i.e. if she is 50 hours practical short in Psychiatric she can go get the areas covered off and get signed proof she has done this.

She's just finishing last module of Diploma and Dissertation but it's worth nowt in Canada.

Next stage would be a temporary permit where she chould work until she sits the next CNO nursing exam (max 3 months time) and if passes, she is fully registered. To work over there though she'd need a temp work permit with job offer or apply for Provincial Nomination programme from BC govt.

Costs to apply for registration assessment are not too bad, training transcipts from UK are about £34, £25 for UK registration proof and about £96 to have a Canadian association assess you. You do have to pay to get your form notarised over in UK as well as send off copies of passport, birth cert, marriage cert all notaried as well as references etc. CV/resume isn't any use either so don't worry about having a detailed up to date one at this stage.

The Gov't of Alberta do a training assessment where you can send off all you details and for something like $200 they'll assess you for Alberta, BC Manitoba and Sask I think. If you want the website I have it saved somewhere. Also if you apply to have registration sent to Canada, they will send your transcripts to 3 provinces in one go for the same price of £34 - they never told us that first time she applied, but they did waive a charge when the BC one was sent off.

We just spent all weekend emailing a load of nurse/medical recruitment agencies to find out if they have any idea on the Psych/Obs requirements for each province just in case BC comes up short and we need to keep options open.

If you need more advice or correspondence, feel free to email me [[email protected]] or send a private message.

Good luck.

Rich.