Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK nurse moving to Canada

UK nurse moving to Canada

Old Dec 8th 2018, 11:04 pm
  #61  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
lauriet465 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

As far as I know it would depend on the visa you are applying for. I qualified for Permanent Residency, so my points for my visa were made up of my education, years of experience, age etc. I'm not sure how other visas work.
lauriet465 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2018, 7:17 am
  #62  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,364
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Sassie001 View Post
This is most helpful thank you. I would definitely be looking for a community post. Does anybody know if I could still get a visa whilst applying to have my skills/qualifications transfered?.
You don’t need your qualifications transferred to apply for a visa, the two things have nothing to do with each other. So yes, if you’re eligible and scoring enough on the CRS, you could get PR whilst your qualifications are being sorted.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2019, 6:01 pm
  #63  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Location: Lydiate
Posts: 24
Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by lauriet465 View Post
As far as I know it would depend on the visa you are applying for. I qualified for Permanent Residency, so my points for my visa were made up of my education, years of experience, age etc. I'm not sure how other visas work.
Hi Lauriet465, are you working at the moment in Canada? Where about in Ontario are you, we are looking at moving to Barrie,
its been a great thread and very informative.
Luisec143 is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 11:40 pm
  #64  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Sosoya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by mikey8954 View Post
Everyone’s journey through this is very different but all share a frustratingly protracted and expensive process. My timeline is pretty quick compared to most I’ve seen.
Applied NNAS April 2016
Received NNAS Report and Applid CRNNS October 2016
Authorisation to Test and Eligibility for Registration December 2016
NCLEX passed April 2017

I was fortunate, I was able to,prove with my work experience that I had sufficient experience of all patient groups not to have to do a bridging course or competency’s test. One of the reasons I applied to CRNNS first was because of advice I received about their process and their comparatively speedy turnaround. Once you have a full license in one province, getting it endorsed to any other is relatively straight forward and quick.

I’m not moving to BC, instead I’m going to be in YT for a couple of years (not my first choice but I needed a work visa first so couldn’t be picky). We will apply for PR soon and then be able to work anywhere but be aware that if you’re employer will be sponsoring your application, sometimes they don’t do what they say because things change. I had this experience in NS and Ontario. If you’re committed to BC and this particular employer, they will have a much easier time employing you if you are already eligible to work because you have your PR visa.

We are taking our very elderly dog to YT in December, we’ve done a lot of research and we’re actually pretty confident with him flying. If you’re committed to going by boat, I would probably book now for next year particularly if there is an option to change the dates with a reasonable fee if you’re job is a defining factor on when you can make the move.

Be prepared to have very adjustable timescales though, I thought that with efficiency on my part I could be in Canada in 9-12 months, in reality it will have been 18 months. You’re relying on organisations like NNAS to work efficiently and that isn’t always the case. If organisations don’t meet their published timescales, be on their back pretty quickly, call them and get a person to “complain to”. This was the only reason my NNAS application got sorted so quickly and my CRNNS application was not touched in the timescales they advertised but within 2 days of me pestering, it was done and I was eligible for registration. Obviously I was always nice and professional in my contact but it does seem to make a difference if you are relentlessly engaged with these organisations.
Hello, How many years of nursing experience you had before applying. I was thinking to do the same first apply to NS and then move to Torronto as I got family there. I am soon due to qualify this year. I am planning to work in A&E as well. Someone told me to Frist finish my Frist year as a new qualified nurse in the UK and start the application 6months later as the application process with take up to 6 months. I also plan to complete my NCLEX in London (I just think is easier). Do you think a year will be enough or I am moving too quickly ?!
Sosoya is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2019, 2:43 pm
  #65  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
melissa.last is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

I am just about to embark on this process, already I feel overwhelmed! For those of you who have been through this process can you tell me the starting point? Is it just the application to the NNAS first? Also what has been the total cost of all the checks? And are any of you paediatric nurses? As for the transcripts for nursing how do I obtain them, I qualified 20 years ago so just wondering how that works? Already wondering if this is all worth it. Any advise greatly received thank you.
melissa.last is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2019, 5:37 am
  #66  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 70
peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Hi,

My experience of making the transition from UK Nurse to RN was before NNAS came into being (2013-14). I was an RGN trained nurse with a SCPHN Qualification.
CARNA reviewed my transcripts and told me to either do an OSCE (flying to Vancouver for 5 days of assesssment) or doing a Bridging Program for Internationally Educated Nurses in Calgary.

I was accepted for a place on the Bridging Program which at the time cost maybe $3000 for a 10 month course. We came over with a Study Permit and my husband had a Spousal Open Work Permit.......here we are 4 years later....

I started off in Casual,positions here, it's hard to get a temporary or permanent job initially, you have to bide your time and keep applying for jobs. Once you get your foot in the door and get some experience you can find that doors open for you.

I worked as a Health Visitor in the UK so going back to acute care was a steep learning curve but I think I am paid well for what I do and I continue to learn and develop my skills. I did have a casual job in a Well Child Clinic in Calgary but it was vaccinations with a bit of health promotion and information giving, not comparable with the home visiting I did in the UK - and those types of roles dont really exist here, only post partum (no midwifery service here as a standard, but I am sure there will be in the future).

Even for Canadian trained nurses it takes time and effort to get hired, so it's about adjusting your expectations. I have a friend living in Ontario who doesn't get any benefits with her employer because she isn't in a full time position (no pension or health insurance coverage). She has worked in Endoscopy part time for 15 years. Bonkers!

The Bridging Program here does have a wait list but once you complete it successfully you are eligible to apply for a Graduate Nurse Permit and then you can sit the NCLEX. Students get placements on acute units at hospitals across Calgary (6 weeks) and you have an Instructor with you at all times - which was rather nice.

I used the UWorld app to prepare for the NCLEX and passed first time.....it was a bugger of an exam tho'......!

You do do have to get hired by an employer to complete the 225 hours as a Grad Nurse. I got a casual position on a general Medical Unit and then once I had got the hours and passed the NCLEX, I got my full RN licence. A lot of my fellow students moved to different parts of Alberta to get their Grad hours as it wasn't that easy to get hired in Calgary (Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Peace River were just some of the areas further north that people went to).

Its not for the faint hearted but it is possible.

Laois




peeshpie is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:21 am
  #67  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Kkarim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by aja424 View Post
I am an RMN and my NNAS report resulted in 'not comparable'. I applied to CRPNBC. I am required to complete a bridging program designed specifically for internationally trained nurses. There are 3 modules that I need to complete, although I noticed that the full bridging course is 8 modules so I imagine I'm lucky. The course is similar to studying with the Open University so this suits me ad I completed my nurse training via the OU.


hi
I am New to the thread and after reading all of it I want to ask, if I get non comparable results, can I do the modules online?
Kkarim is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:29 am
  #68  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Kkarim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by mikey8954 View Post
Everyone’s journey through this is very different but all share a frustratingly protracted and expensive process. My timeline is pretty quick compared to most I’ve seen.
Applied NNAS April 2016
Received NNAS Report and Applid CRNNS October 2016
Authorisation to Test and Eligibility for Registration December 2016
NCLEX passed April 2017

I was fortunate, I was able to,prove with my work experience that I had sufficient experience of all patient groups not to have to do a bridging course or competency’s test. One of the reasons I applied to CRNNS first was because of advice I received about their process and their comparatively speedy turnaround. Once you have a full license in one province, getting it endorsed to any other is relatively straight forward and quick.

I’m not moving to BC, instead I’m going to be in YT for a couple of years (not my first choice but I needed a work visa first so couldn’t be picky). We will apply for PR soon and then be able to work anywhere but be aware that if you’re employer will be sponsoring your application, sometimes they don’t do what they say because things change. I had this experience in NS and Ontario. If you’re committed to BC and this particular employer, they will have a much easier time employing you if you are already eligible to work because you have your PR visa.

We are taking our very elderly dog to YT in December, we’ve done a lot of research and we’re actually pretty confident with him flying. If you’re committed to going by boat, I would probably book now for next year particularly if there is an option to change the dates with a reasonable fee if you’re job is a defining factor on when you can make the move.

Be prepared to have very adjustable timescales though, I thought that with efficiency on my part I could be in Canada in 9-12 months, in reality it will have been 18 months. You’re relying on organisations like NNAS to work efficiently and that isn’t always the case. If organisations don’t meet their published timescales, be on their back pretty quickly, call them and get a person to “complain to”. This was the only reason my NNAS application got sorted so quickly and my CRNNS application was not touched in the timescales they advertised but within 2 days of me pestering, it was done and I was eligible for registration. Obviously I was always nice and professional in my contact but it does seem to make a difference if you are relentlessly engaged with these organisations.
hi, thank you for the detailed answer. I'm New to the thread and dreading the process. You have mentioned regarding the experience with all age group which made them to give you comparable results. Could you kindly tell what areas of experience and age group u covered so I can compare myself before starting the process. I am a practicing nurse in UK, with total of 10 years of experience in critical care adult and geriatric age group with medical, surgical, oncology, Dementia, obs and gynae, breast reconstructions, GI surgeries, Neuro surgeries and also covered maternal. Cardiac as well.

what are my chances
thanks
Kiran


Kkarim is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2019, 12:13 pm
  #69  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
lauriet465 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Luisec143 View Post
Hi Lauriet465, are you working at the moment in Canada? Where about in Ontario are you, we are looking at moving to Barrie,
its been a great thread and very informative.
hi, sorry I just saw this.
Unfortunately I am still waiting on CNO to deliver their conclusions on how I get registered here. I did my first application to NNAS in August 2017 and aside from small correspondence to confirm a reference, I've heard nothing. I've called them more times than I could count and get given the same answer each time "cannot provide a timeframe"

I'm now working 40hrs a week in a bookings office at just above mininum wage, so I can qualify for a mortgage. I'm beyond frustrated with CNO though and as I now work Monday to Friday, I cannot call them as they are open when I'm at work and my hold time is so long, there's not enough time in ny lunch break.
lauriet465 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:37 am
  #70  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Roxanaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by niccoll View Post
Hi,

Thanks for getting in on the thread, the more info the better.
I have decided to scrap british columbia altogether, I agree with what some of the other commenters have said about them just trying to make money, nearly £500 just to be told I have to be competency assessed, even though they already knew I would have to be.

I have done a new NNAS for Ontario and added NS on just as an extra.

I am adult trained intially on the advanced diploma and then completed my degree and 2 years of my masters in NICU.

I just hope Ontario take into account work experience and time served etc...

I managed to speak to CNO and they said each application is assessed individually rather than looking to see what CRNBC have said first so fingers crossed, they also said on the phone that although they obviosuly couldnt say for sure, it didn't sound like I would need to be comptency assessed.

Nicole.
Hi Nicole,
How did it go with CNO?
Im an New Zealand educated nurse, I just got the NNAS report saying comparable and my option for regulatory body is BCCNP. I haven't applied yet to CRNBC as I came across your post and got me thinking if I should change the Province. Any info will be highly appreciated.
Thank you
Roxana
Roxanaa is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2019, 12:13 am
  #71  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
KathJenkins1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the previous messages all very helpful! Just wondering if there are any Paediatric trained nurses who have completed this process? I am an RNC so wondering when I apply for the NNAS do I apply for the RN?

Thanks!

KathJenkins1994 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2019, 6:37 am
  #72  
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,883
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by KathJenkins1994 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the previous messages all very helpful! Just wondering if there are any Paediatric trained nurses who have completed this process? I am an RNC so wondering when I apply for the NNAS do I apply for the RN?

Thanks!
Canada nurses are all RN who then specializes in an area so would have to apply as RN
Silverdragon102 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.