Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK nurse moving to Canada

UK nurse moving to Canada

Old Jan 13th 2022, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by 7InBC
Not wholly accurate. there are at least three colleges that I can think of in BC that offer Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) programs (either diploma or bachelors), Stenberg, Douglas and Kwantlen all based in the Vancouver area, though Stenberg offers all theory online. Qualifications from BC allow you to take the registration exam in Alberta for sure, and I would imagine Manitoba and Saskatchewan also. The registration exam for RPNs is the RPNC (www . rpnc . ca), with bi-annual sittings, and those with experience of both that and the NCLEX state it is the easier of the two. Colleagues of mine who immigrated from the UK roughly ten years ago were UK qualified mental health nurses and wrote the RPNC as were not eligible to write the NCLEX, however, I would imagine you may be able to take extra courses if you wanted to be able to work in more fields than just mental health. That would certainly aid you in having more choice when it comes to job hunting but would entail more time, money and hoops to jump through.
RPNs can only really work in that psych related fields or Long Term Care though RNs are able to get jobs across all specialities and in my experience do not necessarily need to have extra speciality training to work in psych. RPNs and RNs make the same money, regardless of diploma or bachelors level training, which may make a difference when deciding which course to take, but is arguably irrelevant if transferring from the UK.
One point to note, Canadian employers often confuse RPNs (ie Registered Psychiatric Nurses) with Registered Practical Nurses, whose training is more like an LPN, whose scope of practice is different and who are paid significantly less.
I stand corrected. And this makes sense, given that the western provinces see RMN’s as distinct nurses, they would require their own training to meet the competencies of the nursing board.

From my own research, however, when UK-trained RMNs do apply to the BCCNM, they are often asked to complete ‘anatomy/physiology’ type modules to register. This would indicate that there is still a gap between the type of training Canadian RMNs and UK RMNs receive. Although, I am aware how much my Wife struggled in her first year of Uni, as it is heavily focused on A&P and she just wanted to move on to the Psychology/Psychiatry side of things!
Old Jan 24th 2022, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

JD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Hi everyone, UK trained Adult nurse here, qualified in 2012.

My timeline:
- Applied to Express entry visa + NNAS April 2021, lots of issues regarding COVID post, they wouldn't accept anything digitally, lots of expense and stress getting everything posted and tracked
- Ielts taken and passed may 2021
- Multiple complaints and chasing to NNAS (they really are useless and I fail to see how they help when CNO could assess me themselves)
- Comparable result received Jan 2022 (I'm shocked after reading peoples comments here!)
- Still no updates on my 'express' entry visa (CRS score of 432)
- Applied to CNO Jan 2022,
- Passed Jurisprudence exam Jan 2022.

can anyone advise me what will be likely to happen with CNO and my comparable result? do you think they will just let me do the NCLEX? Should I just apply for another visa as express entry seems to not be working for me?
I don't want to move right away, I'm hoping to move in 2 years to get things sorted here with my job and new house, I want to make sure I do this right and not rush it. I'm turning 32 this year so can't wait too long!

Any tips tricks or advice from you wonderful people would be welcomed.

thanks,

JD <3
Old Jan 24th 2022, 11:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1990
Should I just apply for another visa as express entry seems to not be working for me?
Can't help with the nursing side of things at all, but your CRS score isn't anywhere near enough for EE, what happened to your partner being the principal applicant with a much higher score?

Otherwise, what other visa do you think you'd qualify for? Most will require a job offer.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 24th 2022 at 11:33 am.
Old Jan 24th 2022, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

JD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond reputeJD1990 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can't help with the nursing side of things at all, but your CRS score isn't anywhere near enough for EE, what happened to your partner being the principal applicant with a much higher score?

Otherwise, what other visa do you think you'd qualify for? Most will require a job offer.
His score was 483 I think so I don't think we'll be picked.
Old Jan 24th 2022, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

His score was 483 I think so I don't think we'll be picked.
Unfortunately you almost certainly won't be, but historically he would have been selected straight away at that points level, might be worth having another read of your previous thread? EE score 432- thoughts?

If he's already applied, then hopefully you just need to be patient and wait for FSW draws to start again (there hasn't been one since Dec 2020).
Old Jan 24th 2022, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

yes he's still in the pool with that score, but we don't want to move quickly now we want to move in 2 years or so - not sure if that's possible if he's picked from EE. I'm really interested to hear in peoples experiences for CNO with a comparable result - it's hard to juggle both sides of this! (nursing and residency!)
Old Jan 24th 2022, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes he's still in the pool with that score, but we don't want to move quickly now we want to move in 2 years or so - not sure if that's possible if he's picked from EE.
Yes, it absolutely is. Once had has PR (approx 9 months after selection - likely to be end of this year at the absolute earliest), then you'd have 3 years before you have to move, so would work well with your timescales.

Good luck with the CNO thingy!

Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

C2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm a UK trained nurse planning on emigrating to Ontario, I already have my permanent residents visa which expires in May and now I'm getting myself together in trying to sort out the move (yes I know...its soon and I'm ridiculous). Originally I had put things off because of COVID and life etc. I have submitted my NNAS waiting for the forms to be completed and sent to be assessed. I know it is most likely I will have to do a bridging course and that it is an expensive experience from reading this feed. What are these bridging courses like?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

hey! welcome to the forum

I'm a UK nurse (adult branch) and I've started the process too... How did you get Permanent residents visa?! I've been sat in the express entry pool since last September and nothing at all on that front. I completed NNAS the other week and they've marked me as comparable to RN. I've now applied to CNO and awaiting their report....
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Hey!
Thank you, wish I had joined a forum earlier
I'm adult branch too. I used a company to help with the application process and they advised to apply for the permanent residents visa it took a bit longer but it was helpful as it is quite complicated and all depends on timing when you're entered into the express entry pool. I had everything submitted by the beginning of 2019 if I remember correctly and got my visa granted in March 2020 (just my luck right!!) But they extended my visa for 1 year from medical test which is May.
I'm moving on my own and in hindsight I should have had all my NNAS stuff done before like you have done but I wanted to really ground my nursing experience since qualifying whilst I was still here in the UK.
Please let me know how you get on, you're doing things the right way!! I'm really apprehensive at the moment about it all as its getting closer and closer and I know I've still got so much to do!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by C2020
Hey!
I'm adult branch too. I used a company to help with the application process and they advised to apply for the permanent residents visa it took a bit longer but it was helpful as it is quite complicated and all depends on timing when you're entered into the express entry pool. I had everything submitted by the beginning of 2019 if I remember correctly and got my visa granted in March 2020 (just my luck right!!) But they extended my visa for 1 year from medical test which is May.
I'm moving on my own and in hindsight I should have had all my NNAS stuff done before like you have done but I wanted to really ground my nursing experience since qualifying whilst I was still here in the UK.
Please let me know how you get on, you're doing things the right way!! I'm really apprehensive at the moment about it all as its getting closer and closer and I know I've still got so much to do!!!!
Just checking, you're aware you don't have to move by May? You only have to 'land' and activate your visa, you could turn round and return to the UK on the next flight if you're not ready to actually move then. As long as you spend at least 730 days out of every 5 year period after landing in Canada, you'll maintain your PR status once you've got it.

Welcome to BE.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I forgot that was an option and that makes me feel a lot better but I know that I have to wait for my permanent residence card to be issued and I remember reading this can take up 3 months to be issued. Has anyone done this and what was the process like at the airport with immigration when landing?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you, I forgot that was an option and that makes me feel a lot better but I know that I have to wait for my permanent residence card to be issued and I remember reading this can take up 3 months to be issued. Has anyone done this and what was the process like at the airport with immigration when landing?
You don't need to wait for it, you can have it sent to an address in Canada (maybe your lawyer's?). They can then forward it on to you.

May take the pressure off a bit at least, if you want to wait until you can work as a nurse in Canada, as I believe the process can take quite some time.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 1:11 am
Just Joined

leslie_rn2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

- Ielts taken and passed may 2021
- Applied to CNO Jan 2022,
- Passed Jurisprudence exam Jan 2022.

can anyone advise me what will be likely to happen with CNO and my comparable result? do you think they will just let me do the NCLEX?

JD <3

Hi. With a Comparable result, CNO will give you NCLEX eligibility. Good luck!
Old Feb 26th 2022, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Leoni34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!
Hi can I just ask which agency you used ? I am due to qualify as adult nurse this year looking to go to Canada thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.