Reload this Page >

UK nurse moving to Canada

UK nurse moving to Canada

Old Dec 29th 2019, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

ponylife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Clarabelle10
I have just recieved my NNAS answer which says somewhat comparable.does anyone know if this will make the registration process easier??
thanks
No that seems pretty standard, I got the same NNAS result and have just done the NCAS exams. Waiting for the results, but expecting to do the bridging course as seems pretty standard for anyone from the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

nurseharris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ponylife
No that seems pretty standard, I got the same NNAS result and have just done the NCAS exams. Waiting for the results, but expecting to do the bridging course as seems pretty standard for anyone from the UK.
Hi

I am a UK RN wit Adult Nursing Bsc Hons
6 years post grad experience, mainly cardiology

I am looking to start my applcation to work in Ontario, so very iterested in reading others experiences so far (and the costs!)
Old Jan 1st 2020, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurseharris
Hi

I am a UK RN wit Adult Nursing Bsc Hons
6 years post grad experience, mainly cardiology

I am looking to start my applcation to work in Ontario, so very iterested in reading others experiences so far (and the costs!)
CNO can take anything from 12 months to assess paperwork. I expect you to be found deficient in some areas and be required to do their assessment and top up courses. They are one of the busiest colleges and also finding work may be difficult especially if you require a work permit
Old Jan 1st 2020, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
CNO can take anything from 12 months to assess paperwork. I expect you to be found deficient in some areas and be required to do their assessment and top up courses. They are one of the busiest colleges and also finding work may be difficult especially if you require a work permit

I see a lot of people have needed top ups, but there seems to be some differences in what people have been asked to do, so I guess i wont know until they tell me.

The working visa side of things seems complex, I hoped looking at the information that I would be eligible for skilled immigrants express entry, but getting enough points seems set on having either a a valid job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment or nomination certificate from a province or territory, which I'm not sure if can get.

Its all very lengthy and confusing, not to mention costly!!
Old Jan 1st 2020, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of people have needed top ups, but there seems to be some differences in what people have been asked to do, so I guess i wont know until they tell me.

The working visa side of things seems complex, I hoped looking at the information that I would be eligible for skilled immigrants express entry, but getting enough points seems set on having either a a valid job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment or nomination certificate from a province or territory, which I'm not sure if can get.

Canadian nurse training is general so they cover all areas unlike the UK and that is where issues arrive. Then in a majority of cases nursing jobs are unionized so jobs have to be advertised in a certain way and goes by seniority which you can’t work towards until in a job. For most starting work is casual then part time before full time. Some change may happen if you want to work very rural and there is difficulty filling the job, there you may be lucky to get full time straight away
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Canadian nurse training is general so they cover all areas unlike the UK and that is where issues arrive. Then in a majority of cases nursing jobs are unionized so jobs have to be advertised in a certain way and goes by seniority which you can’t work towards until in a job. For most starting work is casual then part time before full time. Some change may happen if you want to work very rural and there is difficulty filling the job, there you may be lucky to get full time straight away

that makes a lot of sense, a lot of jobs ive seen are part time, so that explains why!
a lot of job seem to want training that i cant do (easily) while in the uk also, so i suppose you have to wait to get there to do these to be able to move into other roles also
Old Jan 9th 2020, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

who did people use to notarize their documents?

it says someone who is allowed to do so in your country, but thats not hugely helpful!!
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:56 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Getting provincial nominee isn’t that tough at all if you’re moving to one of the less desirable areas (North bc in our case) they will get it done fairly quickly.

Old Feb 23rd 2020, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Mcjen81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,
I’m at the very first stages of this process. Have you applied to NNAS before looking into express entry Via skilled workers? I’ve a BSc(Hons)Nursing, with over 10 years experience, mainly surgical, but also a good stint in A&E.
It all seems very complicated and expensive. Who has had a good result? I worked in New Zealand many years ago in the early 00’s and it was very straightforward!
Appreciate any input!
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcjen81
Hi folks,
I’m at the very first stages of this process. Have you applied to NNAS before looking into express entry Via skilled workers? I’ve a BSc(Hons)Nursing, with over 10 years experience, mainly surgical, but also a good stint in A&E.
It all seems very complicated and expensive. Who has had a good result? I worked in New Zealand many years ago in the early 00’s and it was very straightforward!
Appreciate any input!
I would personally sort the visa first. No point in spending so much on getting sorted to work as a nurse if you can’t move over anyway, and once you’ve got PR you’ve got a few years before you have to move so time to sort the nursing side of things.

At the very least I would check you’re definitely eligible i.e. scoring enough on the CRS, if you’re borderline then also bear in mind your points go down with every birthday after 30, so could be a reason to apply for the visa sooner rather than later for some.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would personally sort the visa first. No point in spending so much on getting sorted to work as a nurse if you can’t move over anyway, and once you’ve got PR you’ve got a few years before you have to move so time to sort the nursing side of things.

At the very least I would check you’re definitely eligible i.e. scoring enough on the CRS, if you’re borderline then also bear in mind your points go down with every birthday after 30, so could be a reason to apply for the visa sooner rather than later for some.

Good luck.
thank you, we are doing the visa first. Sitting the English test in a couple of weeks. Just wasn’t sure if we should do the NNAS along side too.
I’m 39 this week so I know age isn’t on my side anymore. But I’ve been thinking about it for years, so figured it was now or never!!
thanks for your reply!
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, we are doing the visa first. Sitting the English test in a couple of weeks. Just wasn’t sure if we should do the NNAS along side too.
I’m 39 this week so I know age isn’t on my side anymore. But I’ve been thinking about it for years, so figured it was now or never!!
thanks for your reply!
Yes, you can do both at the same time. What (roughly, and assuming max points for English) are you scoring on the CRS, is it likely to be enough given your age? Do check that before spending on the IELTS.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would suggest starting NNAS along sorting visa out as the NNAS is a long process. Depending on province you may find you have to make up courses before eligibility to sit NCLEX and that too can be a long and expensive process
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you can do both at the same time. What (roughly, and assuming max points for English) are you scoring on the CRS, is it likely to be enough given your age? Do check that before spending on the IELTS.

Good luck.
Thanks, I am scoring around 74, so am ok on that side. Just have no connections in Canada at all, neither does my husband, so I am not sure about the Express Entry points. We will see!
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, I am scoring around 74, so am ok on that side. Just have no connections in Canada at all, neither does my husband, so I am not sure about the Express Entry points. We will see!
74 is great for the first step and will get you in to the pool of applicants. Just make sure you’re scoring at least 460 on the CRS so you know you’ll be in with a chance of getting PR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.