Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK nurse moving to Canada

UK nurse moving to Canada

Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Bridging appears to be necessary because Canadian nurses do a 4 year university degree and seem to do more courses than a UK nurse ......... eg, a nurse with mental health specialty will also have done obstetrics. That does not seem to be the case from the UK?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

ponylife is an unknown quantity at this point

I am applying for NNAS right now and unsure on what the nursing examinations counts as, if anyone could help please!

"For Nursing Examinations outside of Canada: The following questions refer to Nursing Examinations you may have completed in your home country or other locations outside of Canada."

Would this count as every exam I took throughout university or is it meant as post registration exams such as the NCLEX in Ca?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Bridging appears to be necessary because Canadian nurses do a 4 year university degree and seem to do more courses than a UK nurse ......... eg, a nurse with mental health specialty will also have done obstetrics. That does not seem to be the case from the UK?

I am sorry, but the above is complete flannel!

I taught as a RN teacher for many years in Canada. The difference is in course content and not number of courses or years of training.

The Canadian mental health nurses are certainly not trained in obstetrics.

We have a much more general training in the UK which in fact covered a lot more specialties than in canada, Although Canadian nurses are book smart, I personally have lost a lot of the advanced skills that were expected of us in the UK. It is more a 'follow doctors orders' culture here and don't use your brain.

I personally did not have to do the bridging programme here as my experience and qualifications were accepted by the board at that time. However, i was grateful for the study i had to do to sit the Canadian Nursing exams. It was while studying for these that i realised just how different the terminology is. Without studying, I would have been stumped on the drug names, abbreviations for things, and all sorts of other things i had not heard of. When I read my first page of Dr's orders, it might as well been in double dutch. It seems frustrating that we have to do extra training, however, the cultures are so different that a transitioning period is helpful.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

niccoll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey8954
Everyone’s journey through this is very different but all share a frustratingly protracted and expensive process. My timeline is pretty quick compared to most I’ve seen.
Applied NNAS April 2016
Received NNAS Report and Applid CRNNS October 2016
Authorisation to Test and Eligibility for Registration December 2016
NCLEX passed April 2017

I was fortunate, I was able to,prove with my work experience that I had sufficient experience of all patient groups not to have to do a bridging course or competency’s test. One of the reasons I applied to CRNNS first was because of advice I received about their process and their comparatively speedy turnaround. Once you have a full license in one province, getting it endorsed to any other is relatively straight forward and quick.

I’m not moving to BC, instead I’m going to be in YT for a couple of years (not my first choice but I needed a work visa first so couldn’t be picky). We will apply for PR soon and then be able to work anywhere but be aware that if you’re employer will be sponsoring your application, sometimes they don’t do what they say because things change. I had this experience in NS and Ontario. If you’re committed to BC and this particular employer, they will have a much easier time employing you if you are already eligible to work because you have your PR visa.

We are taking our very elderly dog to YT in December, we’ve done a lot of research and we’re actually pretty confident with him flying. If you’re committed to going by boat, I would probably book now for next year particularly if there is an option to change the dates with a reasonable fee if you’re job is a defining factor on when you can make the move.

Be prepared to have very adjustable timescales though, I thought that with efficiency on my part I could be in Canada in 9-12 months, in reality it will have been 18 months. You’re relying on organisations like NNAS to work efficiently and that isn’t always the case. If organisations don’t meet their published timescales, be on their back pretty quickly, call them and get a person to “complain to”. This was the only reason my NNAS application got sorted so quickly and my CRNNS application was not touched in the timescales they advertised but within 2 days of me pestering, it was done and I was eligible for registration. Obviously I was always nice and professional in my contact but it does seem to make a difference if you are relentlessly engaged with these organisations.

Hello,

Sorry for such a ridiculously late reply, I had no idea I had all these replies!

I have received a comparable result from NNAS, but crnbc want me to take the full competency assessment regardless of work experience etc..., Which just does not seem feasible, especially if they are going to then tell me I have to do a bridging programme etc...
Especially sinc i had a comparable score!

I have been considering reapplying to nova scotia, do you have any further advice since your last message, is it a lot easier to get into NS, without having to do a competency assessment.

Thank you,
Nicole!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

CRNNS usually go by decision made if applied to another province first. Best thing you can do is contact them and ask. They are usually good at replying to questions.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
CRNNS usually go by decision made if applied to another province first. Best thing you can do is contact them and ask. They are usually good at replying to questions.
Thanks for the reply!
Do you have any idea what Ontario licensing board are like? We've looked into Ontario as well as Nova Scotia.
It would be a shame for each to province just to copy the previous province.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niccoll
Thanks for the reply!
Do you have any idea what Ontario licensing board are like? We've looked into Ontario as well as Nova Scotia.

Why????

It would just mean that standards are more or less equal or equivalent across the country.

Speaking as a patient, I would much prefer having a nurse who has some knowledge of practices, drugs, etc in Canada!

Even the names of drugs can be different from what you are used to in the UK.

For example ............ Tylenol vs paracetamol
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Why????

It would just mean that standards are more or less equal or equivalent across the country.

Speaking as a patient, I would much prefer having a nurse who has some knowledge of practices, drugs, etc in Canada!

Even the names of drugs can be different from what you are used to in the UK.

For example ............ Tylenol vs paracetamol
Tylenol is a brand. You mean acetaminophen v paracetamol.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Tylenol is a brand. You mean acetaminophen v paracetamol.
Are you correcting me??

I DO know that Tylenol is a brand name, but I don't use the generic .......

..... and I also know that when I say Tylenol 3 to many Brits (including nurses), they have no idea what I am talking about

I have to say co-codamol before they know what I am talking about.

If I say Tylenol, I have to add "or your paracetamol"

I haven't actually tried saying acetaminophen ............. would a Brit who has never lived over here know or would I still have to add "your paracetamol"?

From a patient's point of view that can be pretty blooming dangerous ......... worrying at the very least!

I can give you a number of other examples from my pretty wide experience of hospitals, nurses etc here and over there.

I seriously wonder whether it really is up to the patient to educate the nurse!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Are you correcting me??

..... and I also know that when I say Tylenol 3 to many Brits (including nurses), they have no idea what I am talking about

I haven't actually tried saying acetaminophen ............. would a Brit who has never lived over here know or would I still have to add "your paracetamol"?

From a patient's point of view that can be pretty blooming dangerous ......... worrying at the very least!

I can give you a number of other examples from my pretty wide experience of hospitals, nurses etc here and over there.

Ok. This has turned into a bit of a nurse bashing thread and has nothing to do with my the original question I asked.

You have no idea what my current knowledge of Canadian drug and general terminology is. And let's be honest, I wouldn't pay over £2000 dollars to go and be competency assessed without having the inclination to learn the Canadian terminology, that would be ridiculous!

Just because someone doesn't know what bloody Tylenol is, has no bearing on how good of a nurse they are. When you start a new nursing job, regardless of the country it is in, you have a period of time where you work with someone for example 2 weeks supernumerary where you learn these things, because moving from one area of nursing to another requires you to learn new drugs, not all drugs are used in all areas.

Thanks for the input anyway.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply!
Most provinces if not all will follow each other for consistency. To be honest the best answer will come from the provincial college and you could try contacting them but expect you to be told to submit application and they will then make their decision
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Most provinces if not all will follow each other for consistency. To be honest the best answer will come from the provincial college and you could try contacting them but expect you to be told to submit application and they will then make their decision
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna be making a few phone calls on Monday, I just found the BC info out last week and was at work so haven't been able to contact anyone yet. Do you know how each province are aware of what another province has said?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. This has turned into a bit of a nurse bashing thread and has nothing to do with my the original question I asked.

You have no idea what my current knowledge of Canadian drug and general terminology is. And let's be honest, I wouldn't pay over £2000 dollars to go and be competency assessed without having the inclination to learn the Canadian terminology, that would be ridiculous!

Just because someone doesn't know what bloody Tylenol is, has no bearing on how good of a nurse they are. When you start a new nursing job, regardless of the country it is in, you have a period of time where you work with someone for example 2 weeks supernumerary where you learn these things, because moving from one area of nursing to another requires you to learn new drugs, not all drugs are used in all areas.

Thanks for the input anyway.
The only advice i can give you is that when I worked in NS I was on totally crappy wages (and that was the top of the pay scale) It just seemed that no matter how hard i worked I was taxed up the ying yang and there was an awful lot of 'extras taken off at source' I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am much better off in Ontario. I work part time, but earn as much as fuel time in NS. I get a 14 % vacation allowance every shift, and earn a lot more on weekends and nights. I know that housing here is more expensive, but generally even with a larger mortgage I am much better off. Good luck with wherever you decide
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anders101
The only advice i can give you is that when I worked in NS I was on totally crappy wages (and that was the top of the pay scale) It just seemed that no matter how hard i worked I was taxed up the ying yang and there was an awful lot of 'extras taken off at source' I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am much better off in Ontario. I work part time, but earn as much as fuel time in NS. I get a 14 % vacation allowance every shift, and earn a lot more on weekends and nights. I know that housing here is more expensive, but generally even with a larger mortgage I am much better off. Good luck with wherever you decide
Thank you!!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Are you correcting me??

Yes I am. In Canada, it is common practice to use brand names, it would be frowned upon in UK.

Just to take your education one step further, Tylenol 3 has 15mg of codine and is a controlled drug that is accounted for in the Cd cupboard......unlike UK.

Different jurisdiction and rules, Tylenol 2 has 8mg, care to make a guess at that...cd or not? Well? I'll let you google that........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.