Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

Originally Posted by no good name
So all the expense, lessons, practice, theory, practical tests, and little bit of stress gaining my UK bike licence have all been a complete waste of time?.
Thanks Ontario..
Yep - been there got the T-shirt! I think you are looking on the dark side a bit. All you need to do is the theory test (but DO study first), then a weekend course for $600-ish playing around with cones and you have a licence good for 5 years. I have done this and it is no big deal.

On another note. If I was ever to move back to the UK, (one day) does my driving licence/full entitlements get re-instated?
Yes. If you went back to the UK, you would not be 'converting' your Ontario licence, you would be reinstating your UK licence, so all your UK ratings come back into play.

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 2:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So all the expense, lessons, practice, theory, practical tests, and little bit of stress gaining my UK bike licence have all been a complete waste of time?.
Thanks Ontario..
If you did all of these to be able to ride a MC in Ontario, it was a waste of time. Why would Ontario care about what you spent or did in the UK?

When we came over, we had to do road tests for all licenses. It was no big deal. The riding in here is spectacular. Fly over it and ride through it (not at the same time), there are no better ways to see the provinces.

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 3rd 2019 at 2:19 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand someone who passed their driving test say in Manitoba in an automatic and spent all the expense on lessons, practice, theory and tests and has held a full licence for years now moves to the UK and can only drive an automatic as they have not passed the manual test.

2 x different countries 2 x sets of rules learn to live with it.

From the DVLA website
You can only drive manual vehicles if you can prove you passed a manual vehicle test - otherwise, you must drive an automatic.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...britain/canada
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 2:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget also that you can get 'credited' for previous experience if you can't do a direct exchange (as in Ontario, motorbike) - which reduces the length of time you have to go through the graduated licensing process.
There are four main requirements to fast-track through graduated licensing and gain credit for previous driving experience.
https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc...e-credits.html
If you do not see your country in this list, you must apply for a new motorcycle licence and complete all steps of the graduated licensing program (although you may get credit for previous driving experience).

Experience can be added to your application at any time. If you cannot provide proof of driving experience at the time of the original licence application, you can visit a DriveTest Centre again at a later date with the appropriate documents to have more experience added on to your record. This may help to speed up the process of getting your full class Ontario licence.
https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc...torcycles.html

Old Feb 5th 2019, 4:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, if you were to phone up DVLA to try and get a replacement UK license because you lost it (maybe you left it on the counter at a Service Ontario), they would probably say that they know you've exchanged your license for an Ontario one so you no longer qualify....
Old Feb 5th 2019, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Just for the record, if you were to phone up DVLA to try and get a replacement UK license because you lost it (maybe you left it on the counter at a Service Ontario), they would probably say that they know you've exchanged your license for an Ontario one so you no longer qualify....
....aside from being illegal in both Canada and the UK to have two current drivers licences for different countries.....
Old Feb 13th 2019, 1:11 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetically it would be illegal yes...

Whilst passing your Ontario test is the obvious answer, I'm not sure you could rent a bike in a third country on a learner/ restricted license. This is what I wanted to do- rent a harley in SF for a small trip inland. I took Amtrac in the end which was great.

But yes, there is a limbo period when you won't have a full license.

​​​​​​(There's also some fun in that I've had my ON bike license for 7 years, to ride a bike I've owned for 29...wut?)

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
....aside from being illegal in both Canada and the UK to have two current drivers licences for different countries.....
Old Feb 16th 2019, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Wiki updated.

So in summary, pretty much every bl**dy province except Ontario!!!
No, Quebec doesn't exchange bike licenses either. Only class 5, regular car license. But it's not that difficult to get a bike license in Quebec. It's 3 steps, Knowledge test (written test) first, that give you a permit do drive with a driving school. Then a mandatory 16hour class with a driving school, followed by a closed course test at the SAAQ where you drive around cones etc. That give you a 6A learners license (as long as you take the test on a bike bigger than 400cc), which let you drive any size bike. Only restriction is no driving between midnigt and 5am, no passengers, and zero alcohol. After 11 months you can take the road test and get an unrestricted class 6A. I just got mine last year.