Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

Old Jan 31st 2019, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

So I had / have a UK motorbike licence. When I moved to Ontario, the entitlement to ride a bike wasn't transferred the same as a my car licence.

Question : If I wanted to ride a bike again back in the UK, or even America (Route66) how would I be able to do that?

Is the only way to go through the tests all over again and get my Ontario bike licence?
Or can the DVLA not supply me with a copy of my record/entitlements and use that?
Old Jan 31st 2019, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK motorbike licence - Limbo ?

Originally Posted by no good name
So I had / have a UK motorbike licence. When I moved to Ontario, the entitlement to ride a bike wasn't transferred the same as a my car licence.

Question : If I wanted to ride a bike again back in the UK, or even America (Route66) how would I be able to do that?

Is the only way to go through the tests all over again and get my Ontario bike licence?
Or can the DVLA not supply me with a copy of my record/entitlements and use that?
You can only use a license issued for the location in which you live. A bold person might be able to skate that a bit by using a UK license in US, it's not legal but not likely to be checked. Doing the same in the UK is quite a bit more risky, after a crash the cops might go to the address on your license looking for your next of kin, find you don't really live there and, if you came out of your coma, charge you with no license, no insurance and so on.

Even in the US gaining access to a bike might be tricky. Renting one would need a UK credit card to go with the license. Buying one and falsifying the documents is a big step and then it wouldn't be insurable. Maybe it's less bother just to take the test?

Old Jan 31st 2019, 7:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You will need an ON license if you live in ON. In the US, driving without a proper license, could end up with no insurance coverage. Not something I would be doing anywhere, but especially the US. Liability can be pretty hefty there.

The test is not that difficult and it makes a good refresher and skills enhancement.

Old Jan 31st 2019, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ahh mates used to hire bike for Sturgis and pick up at Sturgis HD (flew into MB on holiday to visit,hired a car in MB with US coverage,,,they were UK citizens and yup uk credit card and UK bike licence to be shown. The first time they never even looked at licence but the last few times they were getting stricter
Old Jan 31st 2019, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked wiki on this? I specifically updated the Ontario section with the score on motorbike 'exchange' between UK and Ontario and what you need to do (i.e. there isn't one!). See here - I looked into this VERY carefully myself as I was in the same position as yourself!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver...orbike_licence

No it wouldn't be. There is NO reciprocal arrangement for motorbike licences in Ontario (bizarrely the only reciprocal is if you had a Northern Ireland bike licence!).

You can't. You now have an Ontario licence which does not have a motorbike rating.

Yes, correct!

No you can't use that, it is not a licence.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jan 31st 2019 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The test is not that difficult and it makes a good refresher and skills enhancement.
Under statement !!!
Ontario driving tests are simply too easy ........... Take the test !
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:43 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario you take a written test at a test Center and that’s it, ride anyvsize bike you can afford to buy and insure. However, it’s for a limited time, one must pass 2 stages of rider tests before a full M is issued

i found the most cost effective way is to take a rider training course.

Eg: yearly insurance cost as a basic learner no course for a 800cc Suzuki 2,000$

cost of course 475$ insurance cost post course 1,000$

i am now months away from booking an M1 exit training day after which I do a test and get back my M.

i am 55, I passed my test when I was 17 lol

FYI After completing my beginners M2 training week end I was asked if I wanted to become an instructor. However I refused the offer as my work includes weekends most often
Old Feb 1st 2019, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
In Ontario you take a written test at a test Center and that’s it, ride anyvsize bike you can afford to buy and insure. However, it’s for a limited time....
Not quite the full story I suggest. The OP should refer to the wiki article I linked to (or better still the services Ontario links in the wiki article).

There are some serious restrictions as to where you can ride (no roads with a speed limit of more than 80km), no passengers, zero alcohol and even then, only for a maximum of 90 days before your theory permit expires, then you are back to no riding at all. But yes, no biggie to do the silly M2 test (weekend of riding around cones in a car park with an assessment at the end), then you are good to go (with restrictions, but nowhere near as onerous) for a max of 5 years - idea being that you take the 'Full M' road test two years after the M2 test. That is then the permanent motorbike rating.

Old Feb 1st 2019, 3:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI allow a direct exchange of a UK motorbike license (Class 6 endorsement), shame that Ontario doesn't!
https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/DL/DL/Pages...-Manitoba.aspx
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/s...Residents.html
https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...ovince-license
https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/paal269.asp

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc...torcycles.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 1st 2019 at 3:58 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I have updated wiki with this information.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 8:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

BC does too. https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...r-country.aspx
Old Feb 1st 2019, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
Wiki updated.

So in summary, pretty much every bl**dy province except Ontario!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

So in summary, pretty much every bl**dy province except Ontario!!!

Hi
Wonder if it could be some form of discrimination / rights case ?
cheers
jerry
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer

Hi
Wonder if it could be some form of discrimination / rights case ?
cheers
jerry
No.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

So all the expense, lessons, practice, theory, practical tests, and little bit of stress gaining my UK bike licence have all been a complete waste of time?.
Thanks Ontario..

Looks like I'll be doing route 66 in a dodge caravan. Rock n Roll.

On another note. If I was ever to move back to the UK, (one day) does my driving licence/full entitlements get re-instated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.