Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK massage therapist possible relocation to Canada

UK massage therapist possible relocation to Canada

Old Sep 21st 2014, 2:56 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK massage therapist possible relocation to Canada

Look into it very carefully. My OH is a registered Massage and Sports therapist and the college here wanted him To do 2000 hours to be qualified is Saskatchewan.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

dlmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Do we need to learn the american tests & eventually swear allegence if we come out to live & work in Canada?
Are other family members (not children) allowed to come out, live & work with us if we move out to Canada?
Thanx in advance
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmd
Are other family members (not children) allowed to come out, live & work with us if we move out to Canada?
Which family members do you mean? It would only be your spouse and dependent children that could accompany you on your visa.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking about another family member once we move. Would this be allowed or would they only be able to holiday with us? I realise they would have to get their own visa, just wondering how likely/possible this would be? :-)
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about another family member once we move. Would this be allowed or would they only be able to holiday with us? I realise they would have to get their own visa, just wondering how likely/possible this would be? :-)
No other family members other than spouse and children would be able to go on your visa, if they wanted to move as well then they'd need to qualify for a visa on their own merits.

But the reason that I ask about which family member you're referring to, is that you may be able to sponsor them once you're a PR. So is it parent, sibling, great-aunt's next door neighbour's dog twice removed??
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Its a cousin fun sponge! Another question, (I think of em as I go along lol). Do you have to live there for a certain time period before buying things like houses or cars re credit ratings like in the UK or, are you allowed to purchase straight away. Do you need to come into the country with a certain amount of money before being able to buy property?

Thanx all
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Its a cousin fun sponge!
Ah, I see just joined. In which case, definitely no option for them to get a visa visa you - even if you were a Permanent Resident you couldn't sponsor a cousin, so that's not an option. They'll have to get a visa on their own.

Do you have to live there for a certain time period before buying things like houses or cars re credit ratings like in the UK or, are you allowed to purchase straight away.
You can buy straight away, although whether you'd want to buy a house before (a) knowing the area very well and (b) actually having a permanent visa, is another matter! You'll essentially have no credit rating as you're starting from scratch, so generally speaking rates will be higher. There's plenty of info in the Wiki about mortgages and credit, might be worth a read.

HTH.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Do we need to learn the american tests & eventually swear allegence if we come out to live & work in Canada?
Thanx in advance
Why would you need to learn American tests and swear allegience if you live in Canada? They're different countries...You do know that. Right?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Be warned though that Canadians love their certifications and I can barely think of any skill where they offer full equivalency and nearly always ask for some kind of extra courses to prove your worth. If I was cynical () I'd say it was all about the $$.
I think it's more about being awkward and stopping immigrants from taking over. The government wants immigrants, the businesses want labour, the trade associations make it as difficult as possible. Then they say they want immigrants to follow Canadian "best practice" which is typically the same or worse than most western European countries.

But yes I agree she would need whatever qualification is needed otherwise group health plans won't provide coverage.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Its a cousin fun sponge! Another question, (I think of em as I go along lol). Do you have to live there for a certain time period before buying things like houses or cars re credit ratings like in the UK or, are you allowed to purchase straight away. Do you need to come into the country with a certain amount of money before being able to buy property
Well these are general questions answered in the wiki, yes you can buy anything you want but getting a credit history is the tricky bit, easiest way is to apply for an Amex card and then they will transfer over your credit.

One thing you would need to be aware of in your line of work is that if you set up a corporation, certain provinces require the control of the corporation to be Canadian, either by citizens or PRs, which you are not, so you cannot set up a corporation, you would have to be self-employed or work for someone else. Read the CRA self-employment guide.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanx Dorothy I do know, I didn't word right. I meant to finish by saying does Canada operate the same way (I used to be blonde lol)

Thanx grumpy, I tend to ask rather than read cos I read loads then cant remember what Ive read or which bit of the internet told me what lol, plus I prefer convo with nice helpful peeps (which maybe I will be able to do 1 day) & as a link to talking to others socially :-)