Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Licence valid for 90 Days from date of landing ?

Wikiposts

UK Licence valid for 90 Days from date of landing ?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

rogsheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Licence valid for 90 Days from date of landing ?

Hi guys

Quick question, officially landed last July, only stayed for 8 days, had to return to the UK to sell house. Due to fly out, initially to Calgary 9th October and then the intention is/was (depending on the answer to the question !) to drive over to Vancouver.

However, as the title indicates, because of the date we landed, are our UK driving licences, now invalid ?

Thanks
Roger
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Licence valid for 90 Days from date of landing ?

I believe the 90 days officially start from when you actually start living there, in theory it does start from the moment you land but alot of people land then go home and come back and im sure they sort it out with icbc.....have a look on the wiki..........i may be wrong so lets see what other posters say.....
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of ambiguity on this subject throughout this forum i think so i personally will be taking my driving test immediately after residing (not landing) in Vancouver. I'm landing in November but only popping out for a few days and moving permanently next year.

I'd rather not take any chances.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Call ICBC and ask them, as it is they who will decide if your insurance is valid or not if you are driving on an invalid license. Never can be too careful with insurance, they don't need much of an excuse to get out of it.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

its from when you officially reside there. your passport will show the date you flew back to calgary, so the 90 days start from the moment you enter BC to live.

(but saying that most have no idea as the insurance side of icbc told us 6 months to get the liscence, and the driving centre people didn't know i had 90 days , i had to show them the section, as they thought i could just swap it over lol)
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Larkfield, Kent, Landed Toronto July 09, perm move to Cambridge March 2010
moley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rogsheff
Hi guys

Quick question, officially landed last July, only stayed for 8 days, had to return to the UK to sell house. Due to fly out, initially to Calgary 9th October and then the intention is/was (depending on the answer to the question !) to drive over to Vancouver.

However, as the title indicates, because of the date we landed, are our UK driving licences, now invalid ?

Thanks
Roger
Hi everyone! Hubby and I landed in July in Ontario, and returned back to UK. WE were probably a bit naughty but we exchanged out licences with Drivetest after a couple of days, so we wouldn't have to take a test!! We are moving March 2010!!!

Hubby said to UK driving license that he lost his in Canada and got a replacement. Even more cheeky!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:50 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Your 90 days will start from when you reside not visit or land on holiday type trip that sees you flying back to the UK within weeks. UK is still your place of residence if you do that, not Canada.

Also, you would be extremely lucky to fit in a written and driving test in the 2 weeks.

Last edited by Cookie; Sep 14th 2009 at 5:26 am.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just re read your post and if you are landing in Calgary, Alberta rules apply, once you take up residency in BC, BC rules apply.

Alberta can cancel a driver’s licence or identification card if it is determined that the application contained misrepresentation, false information or inaccuracies:
  • If you are a new resident in Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta driver’s licence within 90 days of moving to the province, regardless of whether you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days
  • If you are working in Alberta but have your residence outside the province, you may continue to use the valid licence from your home jurisdiction
  • If you are visiting Alberta, you may use your valid licence from your home jurisdiction as long as you have a legitimate residence there and do not take up residency in Alberta
  • If you are visiting Alberta from outside Canada and using an International Driving Permit (IDP), you may drive in Alberta for up to 12 months using the IDP in conjunction with your valid home jurisdiction licence
From this one could assume that if you have landed, but no taken up residency ie arranged accommodation or worked in AB then you may be considered a visitor. You could always get an IDP (from the AA or RAC I believe).
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the useful info.

We were looking forward to the car journey from Calgary to Vancouver and it would have been disappointing to learn it was not possible.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for you replies. This is the official response to my question from ICBC.

The 90-day exemption period you refer to starts from the date you actually become residents of BC, so it will begin in October.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moley39
Hi everyone! Hubby and I landed in July in Ontario, and returned back to UK. WE were probably a bit naughty but we exchanged out licences with Drivetest after a couple of days, so we wouldn't have to take a test!! We are moving March 2010!!!

Hubby said to UK driving license that he lost his in Canada and got a replacement. Even more cheeky!
I don't believe you have to take a test in Ontario anyway, you just take your licence in pay about $75 and they exchange it. Has this changed now ? i had checked in January when i was there.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:33 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
I don't believe you have to take a test in Ontario anyway, you just take your licence in pay about $75 and they exchange it. Has this changed now ? i had checked in January when i was there.

I arrived in August 2008, paid $75 had small eye test handed in my UK license and walked away with temporary Ontario license.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

ExMetCop is an unknown quantity at this point

You are quite correct. In Ontario its a straight swap over. Usual money grab and thats it.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Woooo ...... telling DLVA that you lost your license when you exchanged it could be a bad move (maybe) ~ Canada will return you exchanged license to DVLA ~ Ours deffinately went back to Swansea as wifey had a letter to question it from DVLA !!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Larkfield, Kent, Landed Toronto July 09, perm move to Cambridge March 2010
moley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by J-A-UK

Woooo ...... telling DLVA that you lost your license when you exchanged it could be a bad move (maybe) ~ Canada will return you exchanged license to DVLA ~ Ours deffinately went back to Swansea as wifey had a letter to question it from DVLA !!
I told him should leave it!! Still he won't listen to me!!!b

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.