Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Laptop in Canada ?

UK Laptop in Canada ?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:08 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Laptop in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Loki117
They do it in the UK with mobile phones all the time but a investigation showed that if everyone who could cash in a rebate did the companies would go bankrupt!
They just rely on people NOT bothering
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Exactly! So what have we learnt? Let's all make sure we charge back and put these robbers out of business!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Good spot I didnt think about the £ key that annoyed the life out of me when I was working in the states! That and the @ symbol was moved! This kinda ties in with the last question about finding prices for things in canada for example there is a Dell on sale over here at the moment with 2gig of ram and a 120 gig hd for £390 Do they have this sort of price in Canada?

Thanks again for the help,

Tom
I'm swedish with a UK laptop in Canada. I just switch the settings to make the keyboard operate as a swedish keyboard. The only difference is that I don't see the difference in the keyboards. Has taught me to somewhat touch type, which isn't a bad thing.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I believe it has something to do with manufacturer recommended pricing (but could be totally wrong, and am willing to be corrected ).... either the shop cannot advertise the price for less (due to contract) or the manufacturer has to offer the same price through numerous shops....

The mail-in (eventually) gives you a discount without then having to break their agreements.....

But I agree.... it's a pain in the butt!
If the saving was immediate at the point of sale instead of a mail in rebate it would also mean that the sales tax would be applied to the discounted price rather than the full price.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

kidmeup is an unknown quantity at this point

i have just bought my lappy over and bought the canadian lead for $12 that plugs into the power pack.
me personally wouldnt buy a dell,leave them alone IMHO,but i dont want to start a free for all on which is good/bad.
i bought an IBM lenovo and i would buy another 10.
if you are going to buy back in the UK please check out
www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
i cant recommend them enough

hope you choose wisely and good luck
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
If the saving was immediate at the point of sale instead of a mail in rebate it would also mean that the sales tax would be applied to the discounted price rather than the full price.
Presumably the company has to pass the tax on however much it is though. So it's not to their advantage to collect more or less tax is it? Unless there's some loophole where they can collect more tax on the higher price and then only hand over the tax on the lower price.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kidmeup
i have just bought my lappy over and bought the canadian lead for $12 that plugs into the power pack.
me personally wouldnt buy a dell,leave them alone IMHO,but i dont want to start a free for all on which is good/bad.
i bought an IBM lenovo and i would buy another 10.
if you are going to buy back in the UK please check out
www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
i cant recommend them enough

hope you choose wisely and good luck
I was more concerned with the V difference and charging times. For example if I buy a UK laptop will it take twice as long to charge in Canada? If I buy a Canadian laptop will I need a step down in the UK?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Presumably the company has to pass the tax on however much it is though. So it's not to their advantage to collect more or less tax is it? Unless there's some loophole where they can collect more tax on the higher price and then only hand over the tax on the lower price.
The point I was making is that it's to the customer's disadvantage which is what irks me about mail in rebates compared to an immediate discount. If the discount was given at the store at the time of purchase then the customer would benefit from paying a little less tax.

If an item is bought for $200 with a mail in rebate of $50 then the customer still pays the tax on the full $200. If the $50 discount was applied at the point of sale then tax would only apply to $150.

Last edited by stepnek; Aug 12th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:01 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I was more concerned with the V difference and charging times. For example if I buy a UK laptop will it take twice as long to charge in Canada? If I buy a Canadian laptop will I need a step down in the UK?
No, the adaptors are the same wherever you buy the laptop, just the lead that plugs into the power pack is different. They will all take an input of 100-240V and output 16V typically.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
The point I was making is that it's to the customer's disadvantage. If the discount was given at the store at the time of purchase then the customer would benefit from paying a little less tax.
Sure, I understood that.

I was just thinking that the store doesn't gain either way so why do something clearly disadvantageous to their customer if it makes no difference to the store?

The rebate must go unclaimed sufficiently for it to be worth their while. But why not then make all rebates the 'mail in' kind if it's such a money maker for them?

They might gain from unclaimed rebates but then they waste admin costs on rebates that could be given at point of sale.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sure, I understood that.

I was just thinking that the store doesn't gain either way so why do something clearly disadvantageous to their customer if it makes no difference to the store?

The rebate must go unclaimed sufficiently for it to be worth their while. But why not then make all rebates the 'mail in' kind if it's such a money maker for them?

They might gain from unclaimed rebates but then they waste admin costs on rebates that could be given at point of sale.
but is it the store or the supplier who offer the rebate discount?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:17 pm
Oscar nominated

I must admit I haven't noticed. Chances are it's some sort of agency dealing with it anyway.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Any mail in rebates I have had (some paid some didn't) have been run by an agency for the manufacturer.

I try to avoid them these days.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
No, the adaptors are the same wherever you buy the laptop, just the lead that plugs into the power pack is different. They will all take an input of 100-240V and output 16V typically.
I have a UK laptop that works fine in Canada with an adaptor. Does anyone know if I can just cut off the UK plug and put a Canadian one on it ? I'm not electrician but I can't see that it would really make any difference
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

if it works fine as does mine then why bother going to the bother of cutting off the plug etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.