Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Income Tax Return - am I non-resident?

Wikiposts

UK Income Tax Return - am I non-resident?

Old May 17th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default UK Income Tax Return - am I non-resident?

I moved to Canada as a PR in July of last year, having previously been self employed. At the time I send off my P??? form to let them know I was buggerin' off....

I have just logged into HMRC online to fill in my 2010/2011 income tax return, and in the long list of 'You cannot use this service if...' reasons it states that you can't use it if during that tax year you were a non-resident of the UK.

Do I fall into that bracket? I left 1/4 of the way through the tax year, notified HMRC and did not conduct any further business upon my departure from the UK.

I hope I can still file online!

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation?
Old May 17th 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Income Tax Return - am I non-resident?

Originally Posted by jameswales
I moved to Canada as a PR in July of last year, having previously been self employed. At the time I send off my P??? form to let them know I was buggerin' off....

I have just logged into HMRC online to fill in my 2010/2011 income tax return, and in the long list of 'You cannot use this service if...' reasons it states that you can't use it if during that tax year you were a non-resident of the UK.

Do I fall into that bracket? I left 1/4 of the way through the tax year, notified HMRC and did not conduct any further business upon my departure from the UK.

I hope I can still file online!

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation?
Yes, I believe you are a non resident, if you have spent more than 6 months out of the country in any given tax year

Last edited by Reaver; May 17th 2011 at 3:19 am.