Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK housing market slump

UK housing market slump

Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:28 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK housing market slump

We had our house on the market two years ago and in 15 months only had two viewings. Brand new housing estate too. Half our estate seems to be up for sale (500 houses on the estate).

Problem is that nobody is getting mortgages right now several of our friends and colleagues have had real issues with getting a mortgage or a remortgage, I believe that is the real underlying issue.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Hydro
Yes there is that, but hydro can't run your car or get supplies to the local store.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:30 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

didn't you hear Honda have released there hydrogen powered car (it's being trialed in LA i believe) it'll be ready in 2 years...Just have to bite the bullet until then.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
didn't you hear Honda have released there hydrogen powered car (it's being trialed in LA i believe) it'll be ready in 2 years...Just have to bite the bullet until then.
Yes they are trialling them. Early days though with hydrogen power, and they will be expensive and will have a limited range. It will be many years before hydrogen is used as the default power option on the roads. Until then, it's black gold, I'm afraid.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:38 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair this is what people need. I try to carpool people to save on the amount of cars on the road but people don't want to do it...Maybe if they can't afford it they might share 1 car between 4/5 people...I have noticed a lot more cyclist as well. which i will be trialing this summer (can't really do this when it's winter though)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Would YAL really take to the UK?
She did one year of undergrad in Aberdeen, some student trade program, and loved it. So, yes, she'd be there, especially one of the bleak places in the previous post, in a shot.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We agree with this. Although we were fortunate to sell in the UK before the market went quiet, we were leaving nothing to chance. When we went on the market, we had spent a considerable period scrubbing and cleaning and touching up paint and decluttering and presenting and the estate agents we interviewed with regard to listing were all of the view that we had knocked the place into show-home condition. In any market conditions, it is obviously helpful to minimise the possible points that someone interested might use to argue you down on price - our goal was to be the best little house in our price range.

Eamonn & Janet

Originally Posted by Tableland
The thing is while some houses are on the market for years, some go in weeks. There are some people on the Aussie forums who (IIRC) sold in under six weeks, even in this market, so it is still happening. I think a lot depends on whether your property has a "unique selling point" etc.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Pablo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the indications are that the current fall in UK property prices will be every bit as bad as the one last time (1989 to 1994 ish).

There's a lot more debt now (other than mortgages) and back then people earn't £10k pa and had £30k mortgages, now they earn £30k pa and have £200k mortgages, it hasn't stacked up for a good few years now.

The argument that I/R won't go upto 14/15% this time also is irelevent, back then we were used to paying 8% mortgage rates and when they went up to about 12/13% that was an increase of circa 50% (and they soon fell).

Wind forward to today and two years ago many people were used to paying only (an artificially low) 4.5%, now that rate is circa 7% again, a 50% increase. However as mentioned earlier people have chosen to take on much bigger mortgages (relative to earnings than back then) so the exposure is greater today. Add to this the fact that the credit crunch is really only just beginning, when it gets hold of the corporate sector all the forecasts for unemployment are set to rise dramatically. So you could say that 2009 is going to be the new 1990!

There are tough times ahead for all by the looks of it, good luck.

Last edited by Pablo1; Jun 24th 2008 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:07 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burkins
I think that the media have made people panic - yes the market is not as good as it was but now the media are terrifying people into not buying.

Also the greed of the estate agents can't be helping, we sold a house just under 4 years ago and the estate agents charged £500 plus vat to sell a £135k house. Now to sell a £175k house we have been quoted £3k plus vat. Surely the high cost has put people off moving and will now make do or extend?

Our house is about to go on the market - fingers crossed we can find a buyer, so we can get to Oz as soon as possible.
UK Estate agent greed? Mate wait till you come to Canada and see what Realtors here charge! That is greed!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33;
No immediate plans but the ex is gone for the summer to the house she's just bought in France, they have to be thinking about staying there.
Christ! I did a double take when I glanced at that.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Christ! I did a double take when I glanced at that.
I'm not suggesting that we were once married, I think I would have remembered that.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not suggesting that we were once married, I think I would have remembered that.
No, I meant Mrs C. Where is the ex's house? St. Tropez I presume?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, I meant Mrs C. Where is the ex's house? St. Tropez I presume?
It's wherever Souvenir lives but I make the effort to know very little about it. The thought that one's ex has the equity to buy a second property while one struggles to fund donkey castration is not one to dwell upon.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:21 pm
Born again atheist

It's wherever Souvenir lives but I make the effort to know very little about it. The thought that one's ex has the equity to buy a second property while one struggles to fund donkey castration is not one to dwell upon.
Souv, can you please decode that? I know you mentioned it but I've a memory like a sieve. (Not the bit about donkeys, that was all too clear).
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Souv, can you please decode that? I know you mentioned it but I've a memory like a sieve. (Not the bit about donkeys, that was all too clear).
I don't remember either alas, Cap Ferat, Nice, Aix-en-Provence? Not Cannes, surely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.