Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK House sale price hit

UK House sale price hit

Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK House sale price hit

Originally Posted by helcat12
Wealth distribution is not at all related to the amount of work put in. I think that is well understood and agreed throughout civilised society.
I agree. I assume that you will be redistributing your wealth to those with less than you in other countries. If you don't you are a hypocrite

Wealth and power go hand in hand, so no-one powerful wants things to change so it never does.
Politicians? Maybe. All wealthy and powerful people? I don't agree with that.

Naive to think that democratic vote could ever achieve change in this regard.
Are you arguing for anarchy then?

In the end, everyone becomes a "bought" politician because however lofty their morals when they are voted into power, they soon realise that the status quo will never change and the only sensible thing to do then is forget your ideals and get whatever you can for yourself.
Interesting, if somewhat hypocritical. It seems to me that the ones you dislike are the ones that have played the system better than you have.

Normal people have to put their earnings and paltry savings somewhere - there isn't a bank or financial institution that is NOT responsible or without connection to those responsible, so it is Hobsons Choice.
Why does one have to have an account? If doing so is so offensive, do without it.

Every now and again there is some movement like this "Occupy...." that rises up and gains support because ordinary people recognise these facts and that there is no legal or constitutional way to bring about real change.
Sadly, they never get anywhere.
I haven't seen evidence of mass support at all.

There is a legal and constitutional way to bring about whatever change you feel is appropriate. Run for office, form your own party and, if enough of the electorate want what you want, they will vote you in and you will be able to effect change. But, what may surprise you, is that most are happy with the status quo. Who is correct, you or them?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Shouldn't the legal system be holding people to account? The police, the courts, judges etc. Those things that western liberal democracies have to protect honest people from crime?
They should and I have no idea why they are not. Even if the Governments don't want them to, one would think that prosecutors would do so.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
On the other hand, no-one knows what they stand for. For example if they said that Financial Coporations profits should be taxed above a % of say 20% or that bonuses that make up more than 300% of salaried compensation should be taxed at a marginal tax rate of 90%, then it would be easier to understand what they're after. Personally I don't have a clue, other than to say that they are part of a notional 99% that in terms of global policy is still within the 1%. I can hardly support their views unless I know what they are, and what they think could remedy the situation.

Think of the successful popular movements of the past - Suffrage, Discrimination, Ban the Bomb, the Jarrow March, Luddites, The Pilgrimage of Grace, It's pretty clear what these were fighting for, and what they wanted.

Despite having friends & acquaintances who are part of the movement, despite keeping up with current affairs, I'm really none the wiser about what they actually want - other than it has something to do with them being a part of a notional 99% of something or other, and that they'd like to be part of a 1% of something else, or to subsume the 1% into the 99%..... What do they want for that to work? Would they like the distance between the bottom 10% in society and the top 10% to be reduced, or for the distance between the 5th and 6th percentile to be reduced. I would provide strong support to the former, but would be significantly less likely to support the latter....
Your examples are a bit hit and miss, but I'm sure you knew that

They do stand for something. They stand for fact the system has failed and is corrupt. If they start making demands about the specifics of wealth redistribution they will lose either their conservative or progressive support.

I also think that OWS has learned from how the tea-party was co-opted by the crazies in the republican party and fox news. Not officially speaking to the media grants some immunity to this.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This reminds me of a talk on, IIRC, Radio 1 some years ago.

A: We should gather up all the money in the country and distribute it evenly to everyone.

B: Why?

A: It would make things much more fair.

B: Why would it?

A: Because then everyone would have an equal chance in life and everyone would be the same.

B: No they wouldn't.

A: Why not?

B: Because, some people would go straight down to the airport and spend it all on a fantastic holiday; some would buy start a business and make lots of money; some would start a business and lose all their money; some would lie around all day and do nothing until all their money was gone. So, in a few years from now, there would be people with lots of money, there would be people with no money and there would be people in between those groups. What would you do then?

A: Then I would gather up all the money in the country ...
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:32 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Your examples are a bit hit and miss, but I'm sure you knew that

They do stand for something. They stand for fact the system has failed and is corrupt. If they start making demands about the specifics of wealth redistribution they will lose either their conservative or progressive support.

I also think that OWS has learned from how the tea-party was co-opted by the crazies in the republican party and fox news. Not officially speaking to the media grants some immunity to this.
I guess it all depends on how you measure success.... or not....

The Occupy Toronto folks clearly feel that their campaign for whatever, isn't just about raising awareness, I'd say that a good proportion of the population have heard about them, but they're still there, which means that they must want something to change. But what????
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on how you measure success.... or not....

The Occupy Toronto folks clearly feel that their campaign for whatever, isn't just about raising awareness, I'd say that a good proportion of the population have heard about them, but they're still there, which means that they must want something to change. But what????
To be honest, I've got no idea what the canadian occupy movements are for. I can understand it in the US, but here not so much.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They should and I have no idea why they are not. Even if the Governments don't want them to, one would think that prosecutors would do so.
Watch this if have time. Bill Black isn't just some wacko, he was involved in successfully prosecuting banking fraud in the early 90's.

Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Watch this if have time. Bill Black isn't just some wacko, he was involved in successfully prosecuting banking fraud in the early 90's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4XJe7O-3Q...ayer_embedded#!
That was very interesting. Thank you. I take it that Obama's failure to take the necessary steps to punish the perpetrators will be punished come election time
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:05 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Think of the successful popular movements of the past - Suffrage, Discrimination, Ban the Bomb, the Jarrow March, Luddites, The Pilgrimage of Grace, It's pretty clear what these were fighting for, and what they wanted.
Are those actually successful movements though?

Suffrage, I'll grant you. However:

- Ban the Bomb - we still have the bomb(s)

- Jarrow March - they made it to London, but nothing practical was done about their grievances

- Luddites - failed to stop the march of technology. Some were hanged

- Pilgrimage of Grace - ended in failure (mostly). Leaders executed, rising quelled.

Not good odds for the 99%, based on all of this.

Guess it depends on whether you take the long view of history though.

I think things like the Iraq War protests appear to achieve nothing at the time, but make governments think very hard before they do it again.

Could be the same for the Occupy 'movement'?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:52 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of a talk on, IIRC, Radio 1 some years ago.

A: We should gather up all the money in the country and distribute it evenly to everyone.

B: Why?

A: It would make things much more fair.

B: Why would it?

A: Because then everyone would have an equal chance in life and everyone would be the same.

B: No they wouldn't.

A: Why not?

B: Because, some people would go straight down to the airport and spend it all on a fantastic holiday; some would buy start a business and make lots of money; some would start a business and lose all their money; some would lie around all day and do nothing until all their money was gone. So, in a few years from now, there would be people with lots of money, there would be people with no money and there would be people in between those groups. What would you do then?

A: Then I would gather up all the money in the country ...
I cannot believe that in your previous post you say that I personally am a hypocrite if I do not give my 'wealth' (such as it is) to others.
Individual action from someone like me would obviously be a futile gesture - it is a crass comment and so I will assume you meant it as a joke

Wealth redistribution is not about making everyone equal repeatedly.
Surely no intelligent person holds this simplistic and flawed logic.

It is certainly not fair to take money from a hard-working person who has earned it and give it to a layabout, but then no sensible person is saying we should.

But we have the situation in which rich, powerful people are skewing the wealth increasingly towards themselves at the expense of the normal man.

It cannot have passed anyone by that the senior members of certain industries, most notably the bank and investment sector and politicians are lining their own nests massively by exploiting both the public purse and individuals' private finances.

They have built up a mutually beneficial network of powerful individuals who scratch each other's backs.
They give each other big bonuses, give one another jobs for favours done while in public office and keep their own jobs and huge salaries while making others redundant and cutting services to the public in areas such as schools and health services - these are all things which do seriously affect people's lives

Of course, they also using their considerable power to cheat the populace out of money directly in ways such as reducing interest on their savings.

I did not say that movements like the Occupy... had mass support, but they clearly do have some support from normal people.
Now it is recognised where things have gone wrong but normal people have no power to change things because in the end, everyone at our end of things needs what money they have to live, eat, clothe themselves and make sure they do not become a pauper in their retirement, so they have to play by the rules made and enforced by people who do not have to worry about those things and who can splash the cash to keep things the way they want them.

Anarchy?
Well, maybe that will be the only way to change and start again but Revolution is a painful route.
Historically, it has several precedents and successful ones.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:22 pm

That was very interesting. Thank you. I take it that Obama's failure to take the necessary steps to punish the perpetrators will be punished come election time
He did already when many tea party candidates got elected; but they turned out to be hypocrites as well.

Interestingly (from a timing perspective) brokerage firm MF Global just went bankrupt. There are reports that the company used money in client accounts to shore up it's own balance sheet - something that is obviously illegal. The CEO used to be the governor of new jersey and something to do with goldman sachs, so he's definitely "connected". Will he get thrown to the wolves or not? A cynic would say that this is only coming to light now so that the attorney general in the US can be seen to be doing something while the greater theft is still going on (and that really is the kind of thinking that leads to buying tin foil hats).

(http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/10/...-mf-global/?hp)