Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK House Sale - completion following move?

Wikiposts

UK House Sale - completion following move?

Old Jul 6th 2021, 4:12 am
Just Joined

ThisisRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK House Sale - completion following move?

Hey all,
Apologies for the stupid question, but I've read the Wiki and I'm none the wiser.
We're in the process of selling our home (have lived here consistently for 10 years) and current timelines suggest that the sale will complete a couple of weeks AFTER we land in Canada. If that is the case, does anyone know if we'll be required to pay tax in Canada on the proceeds from the sale?
Old Jul 6th 2021, 6:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK House Sale - completion following move?

Get a valuation and a copy of the contract of sale, prior to coming to Canada. You are deemed to have disposed of property on the date you become resident for tax purposes in Canada - so if you then sold it for more than that amount (i.e. the valuation at the time of moving to Canada) - it increased in value - you would have a tax liability. By completing a sale already in progress, with proof of value and proof of final sale price, you should be ok.

Look at the Canadian Tax section of https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_a...e_Sales-Canada and under 'property you owned' here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...mmigrants.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...rants.html#PBC
Old Jul 6th 2021, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Thanking you (as always!). I'll make sure I keep a copy of the Memorandum of Sale handy
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Farmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThisisRobbo
Hey all,
Apologies for the stupid question, but I've read the Wiki and I'm none the wiser.
We're in the process of selling our home (have lived here consistently for 10 years) and current timelines suggest that the sale will complete a couple of weeks AFTER we land in Canada. If that is the case, does anyone know if we'll be required to pay tax in Canada on the proceeds from the sale?
In some cases, if a principle residence is sold in the same calendar year that you become a tax resident, there may not be a tax liability. Seek out an accountant to help with your tax return, at least in the first year, this helps avoid costly errors and over paying taxes. The penalty for not reporting when required to do so is significant.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Farmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThisisRobbo
Thanking you (as always!). I'll make sure I keep a copy of the Memorandum of Sale handy
If the sale completes after you become a tax resident, a memorandum of sale is after the fact. What you need is a valuation on the day you become a tax resident. A letter from a realtor should be OK. A copy of the contract of sale, pre tax residency (if it is signed and binding) and a corresponding copy of the the final completion of sale (post tax residency), so long as the two figures are the same may also suffice. The figures CRA use are always CAD and subject to FX fluctuation, don't rely on the figures in GBP. Convert to CAD on the first day of tax residency and do the same on the day of completion. When holding FX, there may be a CGT liability on the FX when changing currency. For reference FX rates, use the Bank of Canada rates, this is what CRA use, unless you convert funds within the same calendar year, then use the actual rate you obtained.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:25 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sure that a principal residence sold with the purpose of buying another principle residence isnt liable for tax anyway. If you have more than one property it may be more complicated. My house sale completed after I had moved and there were no tax implications as I was using the proceeds to by a house in Canada.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. That's really useful 👍
Old Jul 8th 2021, 10:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

In 2005 we were in the same position. We completed and deposited the money in the bank, it enabled us to buy a property here using a line of credit. No tax issues.