Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK to Hants County with RDA

UK to Hants County with RDA

Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Hants County with RDA

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I agree with Caz, people tend to forget that immigration is a priviledge and not a right as such. You don't get pressganged to come here and there are some on not just this board, ut other forums too that really should do well to remember that whilst there are a few bad apples in every basket - in general CIC / RDA and whatever other acronyms you can come up with do their absolute best to aid and assist.

I get really annoyed with the amount of slagging off the staff of immigration get. Overworked, probably underpaid and definately unappreciated.
I will never forget that being here is a priviledge and not a right.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:59 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
thats not what happened at all, what do you mean?
We kept all our appointments, arrived here and lived in that county for a few months trying to find jobs in that area and a home to live in. Unfortunately we couldnt find them there. We were lucky to find the jobs we have now, we couldnt afford to live far away from them, thats all that happened. We now live in a county that shares the same healthcare etc, so there is some connection.
I don't mean anything, or worry about your chosen location. I am just trying to help you reach an understanding of why maybe you haven't got much feedback from CORDA.

possible of course that it could be something else entirely
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
I don't mean anything, or worry about your chosen location. I am just trying to help you reach an understanding of why maybe you haven't got much feedback from CORDA.

possible of course that it could be something else entirely
We did worry through our options for a while as felt that we should stay in the county that sponsored us, morally.
As it turned out we ate through so much money while other half found a job - 6 months - that thank goodness we didnt live so far out from Halifax.

It may well be that RDAs and other people in immigration are overworked and underpaid and underthanked (word even?) I dont know but it was hard to come here and have absolutely no support at all from ours.
I dont know what we expected but I am very thankful to all those that did help us settle here and we are very happy. There were people that helped us look for jobs, advised us on the ins and outs on everything and were one great support network.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:26 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

We did worry through our options for a while as felt that we should stay in the county that sponsored us, morally.
As it turned out we ate through so much money while other half found a job - 6 months - that thank goodness we didnt live so far out from Halifax.

It may well be that RDAs and other people in immigration are overworked and underpaid and underthanked (word even?) I dont know but it was hard to come here and have absolutely no support at all from ours.
I dont know what we expected but I am very thankful to all those that did help us settle here and we are very happy. There were people that helped us look for jobs, advised us on the ins and outs on everything and were one great support network.
Maybe don't worry about where you ended up so much but look at the situation as a whole. You were nominated though, so that's good
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:18 am
Happy

Originally Posted by Flogger
Maybe don't worry about where you ended up so much but look at the situation as a whole. You were nominated though, so that's good
Thank you - its turned out so well. We were nominated, arrived as visitors for 8 months (took massive risk but house sold really quickly) in March, got offered a job in three weeks, got a TWP, left country - had quick trip to Florida to activate permit, came back, found a house in a wonderful neighbourhood in Hants county and started job.
Spent A LOT of money as other half got a casual job but we had to have childcare so that he could work, as it turned out we spent more than he earnt, hindsight is so wonderful there. Now he has a good job and i am still in mine.
We love this area, its near enough to work in the city but far out enough that the kids arent on a leash.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:03 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
That's good then - only wish we had gone through Kings RDA. It may have made a huge difference to how we are now seeing the whole thing. My advice is don't just consider the area and the initial contact with the RDA - also ask what support there will be for you during and after your application for PR. If they want you to come to that area they will be happy to invest the time and effort supporting you.
Hi Rubie, hope things are going okay for you now, seems ages ago that we were going through this whole process,

Just one very general note I would make is that ultimately the RDA's role is to choose whether or not to support an application for an individual which will lead to a PR visa, in most cases they treat everyone in good faith based upon the information they are given. It seems for most people they will provide "support" in the context that they nominate (if criteria is met) and utimately lead people to a PR visa, that is what their job is.

Regarding follow up and settlement support services there are other organizations in NS that provide immigrant settlement services that are supported by the government, this is not the role of the RDA, although from what we are seeing here it seems to depend on who the RDA is and who the applicant is, to the level of additional support that they provide.

I know they have limited financial resources for staffing etc so their priority has to be the assessment of applicants, particularly if there are other agencies available for the support. Also depending on individual circumstances I can see that they would have to make choices regarding who they provide any spare time they do have too, things change over time with people and circumstances etc.

Hope things work out for you whatever you decide and where you end up
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

The Old Parsonage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hants County rocks! lol Anyone need any info from someone living here, experiencing the county and all it's good and not so good points, feel free to contact me.

Been here since July 2008 and have loved most of that time! lol

We Hants!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:46 am
Just Joined

The Old Parsonage is an unknown quantity at this point

I will never forget that being here is a priviledge and not a right.
Well said! Filtering our entire experience with the RDA and CIC, they did us proud!

We feel privileged to be here, often pinching ourselves when we take any of this for granted!

Nothing is perfect but so much is perfect in this great Province of an amazing Country!