British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   UK to Hants County with RDA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/uk-hants-county-rda-733029/)

talb999 Sep 20th 2011 2:36 pm

UK to Hants County with RDA

Hello.

Are there any Brits who have made the move to Nova Scotia, and in particular to Hants County via the RDA route?

We would love to hear from people with a young family (we have 3 kids aged 13,11 and 3), who have moved and find out more about the general area, schooling, whats for kids, and your thoughts on your new life!!
My wife is a telephonist and i'm a police officer.

Thanks,

Gaz.

AmyDavid Sep 20th 2011 3:07 pm

Re: UK to Hants County with RDA

Originally Posted by talb999 (Post 9632296)
Hello.

Are there any Brits who have made the move to Nova Scotia, and in particular to Hants County via the RDA route?

We would love to hear from people with a young family (we have 3 kids aged 13,11 and 3), who have moved and find out more about the general area, schooling, whats for kids, and your thoughts on your new life!!

Thanks,

Gaz.

Hi and welcome

Take a look at this FB Group - it is for Expats in or moving to Nova Scotia - it is really helpful - https://www.facebook.com/groups/185209748193973/

talb999 Sep 20th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9632340)
Hi and welcome

Take a look at this FB Group - it is for Expats in or moving to Nova Scotia - it is really helpful - https://www.facebook.com/groups/185209748193973/

Thanks.. will give it a look.

Almost Canadian Sep 20th 2011 3:12 pm

Hello.

Thanks,

Gaz.

If that is the only way a community can attract people to it, it would be too suspect for me;)

AmyDavid Sep 20th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9632353)
If that is the only way a community can attract people to it, it would be too suspect for me;)

Things work very differently out here in NS...;)

Tangram Sep 20th 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9632483)
Things work very differently out here in NS...;)

You can say that again.

JSHalifax Sep 21st 2011 12:36 am

You can connect with others on our facebook group as well relocationnovascotia
we recently had a request from Viorica who works for the Hants County to help network with newcomers, quite often the RDA's aren't too keen to get involved, each one is different..when are you coming over or have you been already?

AmyDavid Sep 21st 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by JSHalifax (Post 9633276)
we recently had a request from Viorica who works for the Hants County to help network with newcomers, quite often the RDA's aren't too keen to get involved, each one is different..when are you coming over or have you been already?

I think nowadays, most RDA's are happy to get involved and meet with people when they visit and have contact with them by phone/e-mail when they are still in the UK.

I would imagine they realise how important it is for NS to welcome new immigrants and as so, they are much more welcoming and open to newcomers.

JSHalifax Sep 21st 2011 1:11 am

yes RDA's do realise how important it is to welcome newcomers here but are still often missing out on some of the opportunities to network outside of their own county as its often a case of trying to get someone interested in their own geographical area, I think what I'm saying is that sending people to chat with anyone who is a newcomer here, with information to share about lifestyle and schools etc., is still a valuable source of information for most people, we are based in Halifax but know people all over the Province. we often have been told that as we don't live there we can't help..that to me doesn't make much sense, as word of mouth referrals and networking is how most of NS works .

The4BellsLondon Sep 21st 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by JSHalifax (Post 9633276)

ooh - can I advertise my company here too now ?

Bellanova Sep 21st 2011 2:03 am

Whoop whoop :rofl:

mandymoochops Sep 21st 2011 3:41 am

has OnTheBoatOut come back a a woman :thumbdown:

nikki dreaming Sep 21st 2011 4:07 am

Originally Posted by JSHalifax (Post 9633305)
yes RDA's do realise how important it is to welcome newcomers here but are still often missing out on some of the opportunities to network outside of their own county as its often a case of trying to get someone interested in their own geographical area, I think what I'm saying is that sending people to chat with anyone who is a newcomer here, with information to share about lifestyle and schools etc., is still a valuable source of information for most people, we are based in Halifax but know people all over the Province. we often have been told that as we don't live there we can't help..that to me doesn't make much sense, as word of mouth referrals and networking is how most of NS works .

Depending on the visa route some folks will require connections in their local community though, that are not involved with other enterprises

PortchesterRoyal Sep 21st 2011 9:49 am

Hello.

Thanks,

Gaz.

Hi Gaz
I am also looking to move out to NS as well. We are going on a recce next march to look around the area and make some good contacts in the community. Hopefully we will use the CIS route as well
I am a police officer as well in Hants and my wife is a social worker. We will be going with our son who is 17.
As people have already said this is a very good site for info as well as the Face Book site as well.
If you need any more info let me know
John

talb999 Oct 4th 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks guys.
Went to the Emigrate show in Bham last week and met with Viorica and was lovely and really helpful.

Got to get some papers together and send them to her for her thoughts and hopefully travelling for a 10-14 day trip in April/May next year.

Cheers all,

Gaz.