Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Electrician requiring advice

UK Electrician requiring advice

Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

barryward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician requiring advice

Hello, I am a UK based electrician with 12 years qualified expereince who is wanting to immigrate myself and my family to Canada. I have family based in Ontario and thats my destination. I have filled in 75% of my papers and am now awaiting to sit my language test(which seems a bit of a joke but hey ho) and then get my police checks done before sending my papers off. Seems easy peasy but have questions about that as well and will go looking in the appropriate places, for now this....

My problem is the amount of conflicting information regarding exactly what I need to do to carry on my trade in ontario. I have contacted several unions and trade schools etc but I get different answers back or none at all. Google just throws up random ideas as well and then it brought me here. I have been swatting up on Canadian wiring by reading books family sent to me from Canada but as I said the information is very conflicting. Some sites say I have to do a 4 year apprenticeship(which is a non-starter imo) when others say I need to just pass an exam? I have contacted various employers but have not had much joy in replys or even a "dear john".

As the primary bread winner if and when we go I am relly wanting 100% concrete info as in right you need to do a-b-c and jobs a good un!

My family who are based over in Canada are trying to help but I am starting to get at my wits end on exactly what I need to do.

Im sorry if this is a much repeated question but any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician requiring advice

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Do a quick search for 'Red Seal' to find previous threads on the subject, from my understanding that's why you'll need to be able to work in Canada as an electrician.

When are you likely to get your IELTS result and be sending your application off? Fingers crossed you get it in before the quota for your NOC is met.

HTH and good luck.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Do a quick search for 'Red Seal' to find previous threads on the subject, from my understanding that's why you'll need to be able to work in Canada as an electrician.

When are you likely to get your IELTS result and be sending your application off? Fingers crossed you get it in before the quota for your NOC is met.

HTH and good luck.
The next available exam is not until april after that i think i have everything. Will go search for red seal and thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

hmm again it takes me to websites that dont really give concrete info. Yes it says I need to sit a red seal exam to get my trade recognised but it doesnt give me info on how long I would need to re-train or what onsite experience is required.

The last time I checked the applications was at 198 so still got time hopefully. May have to get my family in ontario to contact local places for me...
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:51 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by barryward
Hello, I am a UK based electrician with 12 years qualified expereince who is wanting to immigrate myself and my family to Canada. I have family based in Ontario and thats my destination. I have filled in 75% of my papers and am now awaiting to sit my language test(which seems a bit of a joke but hey ho) and then get my police checks done before sending my papers off. Seems easy peasy but have questions about that as well and will go looking in the appropriate places, for now this....

My problem is the amount of conflicting information regarding exactly what I need to do to carry on my trade in ontario. I have contacted several unions and trade schools etc but I get different answers back or none at all. Google just throws up random ideas as well and then it brought me here. I have been swatting up on Canadian wiring by reading books family sent to me from Canada but as I said the information is very conflicting. Some sites say I have to do a 4 year apprenticeship(which is a non-starter imo) when others say I need to just pass an exam? I have contacted various employers but have not had much joy in replys or even a "dear john".

As the primary bread winner if and when we go I am relly wanting 100% concrete info as in right you need to do a-b-c and jobs a good un!

My family who are based over in Canada are trying to help but I am starting to get at my wits end on exactly what I need to do.

Im sorry if this is a much repeated question but any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
Hi

Enquire at the Apprenticeship branch of the Ontario provincial government. They should handle (or could refer you to a department that handles) foreign workers and equivalency. What should happen is they assess the credibility of your qualifications and experience and then if you meet the standard, will allow you to challenge the Interprovincial exam.
Darren

Last edited by scimdarren; Mar 1st 2012 at 2:53 am. Reason: didnt read post thoroughly
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:11 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

I just remembered I work with 2 immigrant guys who in the last 10 years obtained there Journeyman Industrial Electrician tickets in Ontario. I'll ask tomorrow.
Once you get the right department and eligibilty to sit the exam, the same department should be able to give you info on recommended study material for the exam, dont try and 'wing' the exam- you will fail- I was cocky and failed first time!

What is your background? If you are factory maintenance you will go for the Industrial Ticket, or if you are an Installation Electrician, you will need to go for the Construction Ticket.

If you are a Domestic Sparks, you will struggle unless you have experience of large Industrial Installations and motor controls etc. Construction Electricians need to know all aspects of Construction.

Good Luck!
Darren
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You can't sit the exam until you have canadian identification ie PR card, but on my research (hubby sparky) some employers will allow you to work whilst waiting to sit the Red seal.

Hubby did apprenticeship from school age 16 now 41 and self employed, from what we have found he won't have to do any more training just sit the exam.

He does not have a job yet we are waiting for PR until we start applying hopefully a Yes or No in the next couple of weeks, we will be moving to BC but will save this thread and update you when he starts applying. Sorry can't be more of a help.

Good Luck!

Anna
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barryward

Thanks in advance....
Electrician is compulsory certification. If you have and can prove 9000 hours experience you can challenge the exam. The electrical code is what you need to study. If you don't have 9000 hours experience you have to do training. Red Seal is not the certification board, each provincial training authority administers and issues certification. Red Seal is an inter-provincial endorsement of the provinces standard. Electrical is regulated by the provincial safety boards. Without certification you can undertake some tasks, but have to be supervised by a certified tradesman.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

acs4972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Can you start the ball rolling for the red seal certification from the UK? We are already PR but came back to have our second.
I am timed served Industrial Electrician now working in Engineering management, but clearly need to validate my trades credentials before jumping the pond. I have also been looking at the CSA 2012 Canadian Electrical Code Update, which I am assuming to be the equivalent to the 17th edition here in the UK.
Does anybody have any experience of this and is it credible?

Thanks

Alex
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Its pretty much black and white yet pretty damn annoying and frustrating.

Like yourself I have the level 3 City & Guilds which are supposed to be world recognised credentials but not here!!!

I have the 2391 inspection & testing which few British Electricians have managed to pass and even fewer here would have a clue about yet I still have to provide 9000 hours proof of hands on experience just to take the red seal exam.

There is no getting a head start from England and to be honest the terminology and installation procedures here and the Code is so much to take in it takes a good year to get used to it. Best advice I can give is be prepared to take a backward step and work as a 3rd 4th year apprentice if necessary. Good luck to you all
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
Its pretty much black and white yet pretty damn annoying and frustrating.

Like yourself I have the level 3 City & Guilds which are supposed to be world recognised credentials but not here!!!

I have the 2391 inspection & testing which few British Electricians have managed to pass and even fewer here would have a clue about yet I still have to provide 9000 hours proof of hands on experience just to take the red seal exam.

There is no getting a head start from England and to be honest the terminology and installation procedures here and the Code is so much to take in it takes a good year to get used to it. Best advice I can give is be prepared to take a backward step and work as a 3rd 4th year apprentice if necessary. Good luck to you all
That woukd be my thing is to goto school and do couple of years under a jounery man