Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

I'm a bit confused about this one. We brought our DVD player from the UK (along with loooads of DVDs). Today was the first time I tried plugging it in, and it works fine (thought it would because the voltage is 110-240v). However, I've hit an unexpected problem... the TV doesn't seem to like it! I'm getting a grey image flickering and scrolling up the screen. It's not a very new TV - second hand - but it's a Sony.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem? I never had any problems with my UK TV playing NTSC DVDs, but I don't know if it could be an issue the other way round.... If it's not fixable, can anyone recommend a multi-region DVD player I can buy in Canada?
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

could it be something to do with the refresh rate?

I'm sure Euro TV's use a 50Hz rate and NA TV's use 60Hz...are you plugging in through SCART or HDMI or something else?

my advice would be go to BestBuy/Futureshop or Walmart and look for the cheapest one that says "Multi Region" on it...they're all much of a muchness unless you're into the techie side of your entertainment system
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I am wondering about that. Just tried our Wii and the same thing is happening - picture scrolls up the screen. So a new DVD will fix the DVD problem but not the Wii problem!
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:18 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Different standards.

Always been this way...way back when the original playstation was popular you could play games on an EU version from the US but the picture would be grey.

Imagine something similar still happens but I don't have any gaming consoles nor a DVD collection (how 20th century)
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the cheapy DVD player from Canadian Tire. Under $20. You then have to google an unlock code... It's very simple. Think it's a digitron...
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

You need a converter...... Look at www.bombayelectrics.com.....

They do pal-SECAM and reverse
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ah yes I think a converter would do the job! Thankfully they have a super basic no-HDMI one as well. Thanks

I see they also do voltage converters, I think I'll get one of them at the same time!
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

And they are a lot cheaper than buying from a Canadian retailer, take a look at the region free DVD players! That's we're we got ours from........
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly we had the same problem with a new smart TV.

Luckily, we brought our UK television which works amazingly well over here so we were able to plug in all the UK stuff (wii and DVD).
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a PAL/NTSC problem. For DVDs, it might be easily resolved by buying an upconverting DVD player that sends the signal to the TV through an HDMI cable - that's a digital signal and doesn't depend on the tuner inside the TV. To play your UK DVDs you need a region-free player. Many of the cheaper DVD players are not region-encoded; for posher ones some have a software hack to undo the region encoding - there are a few websites out there that list these by model number.

It's more of an issue for your Wii, though. I had a similar problem several years ago with a Sony PS2. I got hold of a PAL-to-NTSC converter, which fixed the picture issue but made many games completely unplayable: the converter takes a (small but finite) amount of time to process the signal conversion, so by the time you turn the steering wheel or shoot the monster, you've already crashed into the wall or been shot at.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aqua
You need a converter...... Look at www.bombayelectrics.com.....

They do pal-SECAM and reverse
I meant Pal - NTSC....... Doh!!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It's more of an issue for your Wii, though. I had a similar problem several years ago with a Sony PS2. I got hold of a PAL-to-NTSC converter, which fixed the picture issue but made many games completely unplayable: the converter takes a (small but finite) amount of time to process the signal conversion, so by the time you turn the steering wheel or shoot the monster, you've already crashed into the wall or been shot at.
Had to chuckle at that!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I hadn't thought of the time delay... That's not good! Our tv doesn't have an hdmi connection, it's an older 2nd hand tv. I guess the converter will fix the DVD for the moment but not necessarily the wii. The DVD is more... Urgent, so will get a converter for that and see how it goes. This was a problem I didn't plan for!!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
Sadly we had the same problem with a new smart TV.

Luckily, we brought our UK television which works amazingly well over here so we were able to plug in all the UK stuff (wii and DVD).
We did the same thing.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Your Tv may have a component input, you can use this if you have it
Its three phono/rca conector on the back for video (normaly red/green/& blue) as well as two for audio (red/white)

your best cance of help is to post up the model number of the dvd player an the TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.