Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk dvd player isn't working? (not voltage)

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Your Tv may have a component input, you can use this if you have it
Its three phono/rca conector on the back for video (normaly red/green/& blue) as well as two for audio (red/white)

your best cance of help is to post up the model number of the dvd player an the TV
Yeah I'm using the component input - it's all it has lol. I don't this a tv-DVD specific problem, because its happening with the wii as well. I think it's just a PAL - NTSC issue as others said above. I'm going to get a converter and see if that solves it.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Yeah I'm using the component input - it's all it has lol. I don't this a tv-DVD specific problem, because its happening with the wii as well. I think it's just a PAL - NTSC issue as others said above. I'm going to get a converter and see if that solves it.
http://nintendo.about.com/od/nintend...brew_setup.htm

http://lifehacker.com/5830367/how-to...n-five-minutes
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Is home brew what I want? That looks like it will let me play USA games on my wii... But surely that won't fix the PAL problem... The signal coming out of it will still be scrambled? I mean, it asks me to find my wiis MAC address, which I can't do purely because I can't see the details on the screen!

First stop, converter
Old Jul 4th 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the multi region dvd player we bought. Works brilliantly and much cheaper than most other options.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...RayPlayers.jsp
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

fn-expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather than looking for hacks that don't always work, or getting a converter that costs $50 to $90, it might be a good idea to spend the $50 to $90 on a new multiregion, multistandard DVD player with composite, component and HDMI for when you upgrade to a new TV.

Typical spec: Plays all region DVDs: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Plays PAL or NTSC DVDs on any TV; Multi-Format Playback (DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3); Built-in 64MB Video Converter; Up to 1080p Upscaling via HDMI output - Upscale standard DVDs to 1080p quality when connecting it with HDMI cable to your HD TV (HDMI Cable included), Progressive Scan, DivX Playback, USB Input - Play DivX or AVI video files, JPG files or MP3 files from USB flash drive, JPEG Photo Viewer enables users to view digital photographs from CD and DVD discs on their televisions.
110/220V Worldwide Voltage
Component Video Out x 1
Composite Video Out x 1
S-Video Out x 1
Audio Out L/R x 1
5.1 Ch Analog Audio Output x 1
Optical Audio Output x 1
HDMI Output x 1
Coaxial Out x 1
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Is there any easy way to tell if a DVD player is multiregion? They don't seem to advertise the fact (that I can see anyway). Do I just have to find a DVD player and then google it to find out?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Multiregion DVD players are not sold in major retail electronic stores in North America, but in large metropolitan areas and possibly elsewhere you will find speciality electronic stores catering to immigrant communities that have them. I paid less for one by ordering online; any well-known Japanese or Korean-based brand will probably be good..

I suspect that the retailers might be hacking the players themselves, but the players are guaranteed and are from reputable manufacturers like Philips, Pioneer, Sony etc. The specs for the models on the manufacturer's websites do not say multi-region but models that are made for or modified for multi-region DVDs appear to be generally specified by the manufacturer as handling and outputting both NTSC and PAL, and are multiformat, and "universal" whatever that means.

An example of a player that is sold by some as a multiregion player is at http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/a...430V/page.html.

Originally Posted by izzi81
Is there any easy way to tell if a DVD player is multiregion? They don't seem to advertise the fact (that I can see anyway). Do I just have to find a DVD player and then google it to find out?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fn-expat
Multiregion DVD players are not sold in major retail electronic stores in North America, but in large metropolitan areas and possibly elsewhere you will find speciality electronic stores catering to immigrant communities that have them. I paid less for one by ordering online; any well-known Japanese or Korean-based brand will probably be good..

I suspect that the retailers might be hacking the players themselves, but the players are guaranteed and are from reputable manufacturers like Philips, Pioneer, Sony etc. The specs for the models on the manufacturer's websites do not say multi-region but models that are made for or modified for multi-region DVDs appear to be generally specified by the manufacturer as handling and outputting both NTSC and PAL, and are multiformat, and "universal" whatever that means.

An example of a player that is sold by some as a multiregion player is at http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/a...430V/page.html.
Not true in my experience.

I have bought a couple of multi-region DVD players at Walmart, they also sell a digitron multi region at Canadian Tire. for $30

Amazon.ca also have a fair few: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...20dvd%20player

This website show lots of different ones, I'm not suggesting buying from them but it will give you an idea of which models are multi-region. http://www.220-electronics.com/blu-r...layer.html?p=1

There are quite a few threads on BE about where to buy - would suggest a quick search.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 10th 2013 at 6:13 am.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

The advice I was given that region-free DVD players are not sold in major electronics stores must be out-of-date, since it appears they are sold in some. But finding this out is not easy - none of the major electronic stores websites that I looked at specified they had region-free players, although the product reviews submitted by users occasionally identified the capability.

Originally Posted by siouxie
Not true in my experience.

I have bought a couple of multi-region DVD players at Walmart, they also sell a digitron multi region at Canadian Tire. for $30

Amazon.ca also have a fair few: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...20dvd%20player

This website show lots of different ones, I'm not suggesting buying from them but it will give you an idea of which models are multi-region. http://www.220-electronics.com/blu-r...layer.html?p=1

There are quite a few threads on BE about where to buy - would suggest a quick search.