Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Driving license in BC

UK Driving license in BC

Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default UK Driving license in BC

Hi

I was told at work today that the UK & BC have just put in place a reciprocal agreement that means that as from 29th June 2010 UK driving licenses are to be accepted for a direct switch meaning that there is no need for any tests so long as you have two years driving experience. You just have to pay a fee to transfer it over but they retain your UK license and sent it back to DVLA.

I couldn't find anything on the web so I checked with ICBC in Victoria and they said that this was correct.

Yelkcub
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving license in BC

It's not on the ICBC website just yet (either as a press release or in the official bit). You'd think that it would be somewhere on the web given it's only weeks away and it must require some legislation to be allowed.

Not that it matters to me, like most on here I did the test already (it was quite a bit easier than the UK test, so I don't really know why people are scared of doing it). On the other hand, the OH hasn't got round to it yet - so she'll benefit if you are right.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough

That's amazing news! Thanks!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:27 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha - my oh took his test last week!!!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

We did our BC drivers test last year, but OH is thinking of taking his bike licence soon. He had a UK motorcycle licence for 15years . . . .hopefully this means its just a transfer???????
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Me too sat test last month typical!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Oh I have timed this just right, thanks so much for that info...

I have been having some worries about that!

Sarah x
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Hi

I was told at work today that the UK & BC have just put in place a reciprocal agreement that means that as from 29th June 2010 UK driving licenses are to be accepted for a direct switch meaning that there is no need for any tests so long as you have two years driving experience. You just have to pay a fee to transfer it over but they retain your UK license and sent it back to DVLA.

I couldn't find anything on the web so I checked with ICBC in Victoria and they said that this was correct.

Yelkcub
Does the company you work for interact with official bodies related to this? Or is it just word of mouth?

Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
Does the company you work for interact with official bodies related to this? Or is it just word of mouth?.
No we don't but one of the lads when into ICBC to do his theory test and he was told that as he had a UK driving license he would be able to exchange it after the agreement came into place.

Like yourself I was skeptical so I called ICBC VIctoria and the lady confirmed that it was indeed true and explained that it was as from 29th June. So one could argue that it is word of mouth as it is not in writing yet. I would suggest that if anyone is overly concerned then they should check with ICBC themselves and they should be told the same as we have been! If anyone does this, could they advise what they hear so that if anyone is told otherwise, we can all be aware.

Last edited by Yelkcub; Jun 12th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: UK Driving license in BC

Hi,

That's great news. My partner had such a mess with taking his BC driving test. He failed the first one and they lost his British license for a little while in the interim week before he passed a second test.

It was also costly for us to retake our licenses. We had to rent a car as we didn't think our clunker would appeal to the driving examiner. And the second test for Neil was a ferry ride out of town so it all turned into a big expense.

I don't like the sound of them returning your license to DVLA though.

Sarah

He's also hoping they'll transfer motorcycle licenses too.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

Oh great news, I hope its true, I wonder if that also covers HGV & PSV, by the time you do car,truck & Bike its a load of time ,hassle and money that if this is true we can all save.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
No we don't but one of the lads when into ICBC to do his theory test and he was told that as he had a UK driving license he would be able to exchange it after the agreement came into place.

Like yourself I was skeptical so I called ICBC VIctoria and the lady confirmed that it was indeed true and explained that it was as from 29th June. So one could argue that it is word of mouth as it is not in writing yet. I would suggest that if anyone is overly concerned then they should check with ICBC themselves and they should be told the same as we have been! If anyone does this, could they advise what they hear so that if anyone is told otherwise, we can all be aware.
Well, if it does happen, that's great news

Thanks for sharing

Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

For whats it worth, i called ICBC today to ask and the person on the phone said that she has not heard anything yet and if it is true to wait for news to be published on the ICBC website.

I may pop over to the test centre and try and find out something from them on monday..... Will update once i find out.

MR79
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MR79
For whats it worth, i called ICBC today to ask and the person on the phone said that she has not heard anything yet and if it is true to wait for news to be published on the ICBC website.

I may pop over to the test centre and try and find out something from them on monday..... Will update once i find out.

MR79
Hi

My Neighbour works as a manager at the ICBC test center in Abbotsford' BC and she hasnt heard anything about this

k
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi,

That's great news. My partner had such a mess with taking his BC driving test. He failed the first one and they lost his British license for a little while in the interim week before he passed a second test.

It was also costly for us to retake our licenses. We had to rent a car as we didn't think our clunker would appeal to the driving examiner. And the second test for Neil was a ferry ride out of town so it all turned into a big expense.

I don't like the sound of them returning your license to DVLA though.

Sarah

He's also hoping they'll transfer motorcycle licenses too.
I dont think they will return licenses to the UK! They dont do it when you pass your test and give you an BC license. There isn't a difference between getting a license through passing the test or getting a license through the realization that the UK license is comparable and giving you a license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.