Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk driving license

Uk driving license

Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

britmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk driving license

In Ontario they swapped my car licence. But I had to re-take my bus test, they would not swap that. I wanted to keep my UK licence but you cannot hold a licence if you do not reside in a country. If I did ever go back to the UK I could get my licence back.
It is better swapping it over, than having to do the beginners G1 G2 car tests starting from scratch. Along with the restrictions and associated high insurance premiums!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Photocopy your UK licence before you hand it in. Then if you move back to the UK you can just get it reissued.
And importantly, re-issued as a manual licence.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I suspect it isn't even a province thing but down to the whim of the person dealing with you.

They took ours, not even batting an eyelid that mine was the crappy photo cardless paper one that had been scrunched up in my bag for god knows how long!
I think it is a Provincial thing, we were told that it was illegal in AB to hold more than 1 driving licence, regardless of who was working in the office.
The company I worked for had countless Brits working there and I've not heard of any that have managed to keep hold of their UK licence.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Back in the day, went in to get my BC license, had to sit a test and take a road test, with someone who looked like he was just out of school beside me who had no idea about safe driving.

Next off to Transport Canada re my pilots license, they looked at my log books and gave me the license over the counter without any testing.
Them trans Atlantic Mail runs in them Vickers Vimys must have been nervy affairs for you Mr Aviator?
Old Sep 21st 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting, had no idea that it was now a swap thing. When I came to Ontario in 1980 I had to take a test but did not have to surrender that bit of green paper, which is good because it will come in handy when I move back to Uk.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wombat7
interesting, had no idea that it was now a swap thing. When I came to Ontario in 1980 I had to take a test but did not have to surrender that bit of green paper, which is good because it will come in handy when I move back to Uk.
I'm not sure a licence from 1980 would still be valid even if you do still have it. Or maybe it's the plastic 'photo ones that have a 5 or 10 year renewal period.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

licence is still valid. This is the old green paper licence that is valid until your 70th birthday.

Per website, if you green licence is still valid you do not need to exchange for photo one

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-dr...fore-you-start
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

plasmarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Wombat7 how comes your moving back to the UK?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why moving to UK?
Toronto has been a great place for us and we have loved living here. I have had a career here which I doubt I could have had in UK I. But now retired (early) and time for a new adventure.

I like the oldness of the UK, old stones, cemeteries, village greens. I also like its "softness", not the same extremes as here.

The proximity of the rest of Europe is a pull as well. I am lucky in that I have traveled a lot but there are so many places in Europe that I want to see.

So, after 34 years, we are leaving home and going to the UK. There will be many things that I will miss here, firstly our friends, but if there aren't things that you miss you should have moved a long time ago.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

plasmarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said, all the best with your move.

Just reading threads here seems more cases for returning than emigrating?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I have only lived in UK for 11 years of my life. Have no family back there. We are going to an area that we like, but have never lived there.

Some friends here have talked about us "going home" but it does not feel like that at all. We are leaving home and going to a place that feels like it fits (based on a visit there earlier this year). When traveling out of the country and ask where I am from I always say Canada. Asked my nationality the auto response is Canadian.

bottom line, I guess, is that at this stage in our lives we think rural UK is a better fit. dont really have any doubts at the moment. The proof of the pudding (or the proof is in the proof as Jean C once said) is in the doing, I know. But you never know until you try.

I have been preparing by listening to Your and Yours on Radio 4 and periodically looking at the Daily Mail. Website!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

af92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the 2 year rule in BC, I've had my license for just over a year. By the time I arrive, it'll have been about 1 and a half years. Is it possible to hold on for 6 months, and get the automatic transfer once my license hits 2 years old?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wombat7
I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I have only lived in UK for 11 years of my life. Have no family back there. We are going to an area that we like, but have never lived there.

Some friends here have talked about us "going home" but it does not feel like that at all. We are leaving home and going to a place that feels like it fits (based on a visit there earlier this year). When traveling out of the country and ask where I am from I always say Canada. Asked my nationality the auto response is Canadian.

bottom line, I guess, is that at this stage in our lives we think rural UK is a better fit. dont really have any doubts at the moment. The proof of the pudding (or the proof is in the proof as Jean C once said) is in the doing, I know. But you never know until you try.

I have been preparing by listening to Your and Yours on Radio 4 and periodically looking at the Daily Mail. Website!
Which area of the UK did you choose ?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by af92
Regarding the 2 year rule in BC, I've had my license for just over a year. By the time I arrive, it'll have been about 1 and a half years. Is it possible to hold on for 6 months, and get the automatic transfer once my license hits 2 years old?
No. You have 3 month deadline from arrival in province in which to swap it.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Area of UK selected - Suffolk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.