British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Uk driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/uk-driving-license-843084/)

Leeisaac1 Sep 14th 2014 6:43 am

Uk driving license

Hi guys, what's the score with a Canadian license if you already have a uk license, can you transfer it or do you have to sit a test.

Thanks

Edo Sep 14th 2014 7:53 am

Re: Uk driving license

Depends on which province you're moving to?

Leeisaac1 Sep 14th 2014 8:05 am

Alberta

Edo Sep 14th 2014 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Leeisaac1 (Post 11404287)
Alberta

In case of Alberta yes you can change your UK license without having to sit any tests. Just make sure you bring your green counterpart. They'll take away your UK license, test your eyesight, charge you about $95 and a few days later you'll have a license in post.

Leeisaac1 Sep 14th 2014 8:31 am

Fantastic, thanks for your help

neilg14 Sep 15th 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11404290)
In case of Alberta yes you can change your UK license without having to sit any tests. Just make sure you bring your green counterpart. They'll take away your UK license, test your eyesight, charge you about $95 and a few days later you'll have a license in post.

This is correct as long as you have held a full UK licence for at least 2 years.

Alan2005 Sep 16th 2014 1:02 am

Photocopy your UK licence before you hand it in. Then if you move back to the UK you can just get it reissued.

haggis88 Sep 16th 2014 7:44 am

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11406232)
This is correct as long as you have held a full UK licence for at least 2 years.

and only for class 5 (cars), classes 1-4 and 6 don't reciprocate

sazzle.pops Sep 16th 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11404290)
They'll take away your UK license.

Why do they take away your licence? do they do the same in BC?

Zoe Bell Sep 16th 2014 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops (Post 11406770)

because you are effectively swapping your GB one for a whatever province one.
if you get the provincial one from scratch they wouldn't take it.

Don't fret though because if you go back to the UK you can get it back, just keep a record of your driver number or take a copy of it

neilg14 Sep 16th 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops (Post 11406770)

Not sure about BC but not all Provinces take your UK licence.

Zoe Bell Sep 16th 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11406927)
Not sure about BC but not all Provinces take your UK licence.

I suspect it isn't even a province thing but down to the whim of the person dealing with you.

They took ours, not even batting an eyelid that mine was the crappy photo cardless paper one that had been scrunched up in my bag for god knows how long!

Juggernaut1064 Sep 16th 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 11406613)
and only for class 5 (cars), classes 1-4 and 6 don't reciprocate

Manitoba gave me my class 6 and others had theirs transferred too.
But that was Steinbach and some who tried in Winnipeg lost their class 6.
Like someone said i think it depends on who serves you and their mood lol

Alan2005 Sep 16th 2014 4:43 pm

They swap it in BC. They didn't used to, but you used to have to take a test. Be thankful it is just a swap now-a-days.

Aviator Sep 16th 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11407236)
They swap it in BC. They didn't used to, but you used to have to take a test. Be thankful it is just a swap now-a-days.

Back in the day, went in to get my BC license, had to sit a test and take a road test, with someone who looked like he was just out of school beside me who had no idea about safe driving.

Next off to Transport Canada re my pilots license, they looked at my log books and gave me the license over the counter without any testing.

britmini Sep 18th 2014 5:13 pm

In Ontario they swapped my car licence. But I had to re-take my bus test, they would not swap that. I wanted to keep my UK licence but you cannot hold a licence if you do not reside in a country. If I did ever go back to the UK I could get my licence back.
It is better swapping it over, than having to do the beginners G1 G2 car tests starting from scratch. Along with the restrictions and associated high insurance premiums!

tweed_wearer Sep 19th 2014 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11406315)
Photocopy your UK licence before you hand it in. Then if you move back to the UK you can just get it reissued.

And importantly, re-issued as a manual licence.

neilg14 Sep 19th 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11407050)
I suspect it isn't even a province thing but down to the whim of the person dealing with you.

They took ours, not even batting an eyelid that mine was the crappy photo cardless paper one that had been scrunched up in my bag for god knows how long!

I think it is a Provincial thing, we were told that it was illegal in AB to hold more than 1 driving licence, regardless of who was working in the office.
The company I worked for had countless Brits working there and I've not heard of any that have managed to keep hold of their UK licence.

magnumpi Sep 19th 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11407500)
Back in the day, went in to get my BC license, had to sit a test and take a road test, with someone who looked like he was just out of school beside me who had no idea about safe driving.

Next off to Transport Canada re my pilots license, they looked at my log books and gave me the license over the counter without any testing.

Them trans Atlantic Mail runs in them Vickers Vimys must have been nervy affairs for you Mr Aviator?

Wombat7 Sep 21st 2014 8:35 pm

interesting, had no idea that it was now a swap thing. When I came to Ontario in 1980 I had to take a test but did not have to surrender that bit of green paper, which is good because it will come in handy when I move back to Uk.

rivingtonpike Sep 22nd 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11413444)
interesting, had no idea that it was now a swap thing. When I came to Ontario in 1980 I had to take a test but did not have to surrender that bit of green paper, which is good because it will come in handy when I move back to Uk.

I'm not sure a licence from 1980 would still be valid even if you do still have it. Or maybe it's the plastic 'photo ones that have a 5 or 10 year renewal period.

Wombat7 Sep 22nd 2014 8:54 pm

licence is still valid. This is the old green paper licence that is valid until your 70th birthday.

Per website, if you green licence is still valid you do not need to exchange for photo one

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-dr...fore-you-start

plasmarb Sep 23rd 2014 9:19 pm

Wombat7 how comes your moving back to the UK?

Wombat7 Sep 23rd 2014 9:39 pm

Why moving to UK?
Toronto has been a great place for us and we have loved living here. I have had a career here which I doubt I could have had in UK I. But now retired (early) and time for a new adventure.

I like the oldness of the UK, old stones, cemeteries, village greens. I also like its "softness", not the same extremes as here.

The proximity of the rest of Europe is a pull as well. I am lucky in that I have traveled a lot but there are so many places in Europe that I want to see.

So, after 34 years, we are leaving home and going to the UK. There will be many things that I will miss here, firstly our friends, but if there aren't things that you miss you should have moved a long time ago.

plasmarb Sep 23rd 2014 9:46 pm

Well said, all the best with your move.

Just reading threads here seems more cases for returning than emigrating?

Wombat7 Sep 23rd 2014 9:53 pm

I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I have only lived in UK for 11 years of my life. Have no family back there. We are going to an area that we like, but have never lived there.

Some friends here have talked about us "going home" but it does not feel like that at all. We are leaving home and going to a place that feels like it fits (based on a visit there earlier this year). When traveling out of the country and ask where I am from I always say Canada. Asked my nationality the auto response is Canadian.

bottom line, I guess, is that at this stage in our lives we think rural UK is a better fit. dont really have any doubts at the moment. The proof of the pudding (or the proof is in the proof as Jean C once said) is in the doing, I know. But you never know until you try.

I have been preparing by listening to Your and Yours on Radio 4 and periodically looking at the Daily Mail. Website!

af92 Sep 25th 2014 4:25 pm

Regarding the 2 year rule in BC, I've had my license for just over a year. By the time I arrive, it'll have been about 1 and a half years. Is it possible to hold on for 6 months, and get the automatic transfer once my license hits 2 years old?

Juggernaut1064 Sep 29th 2014 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11416038)
I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I have only lived in UK for 11 years of my life. Have no family back there. We are going to an area that we like, but have never lived there.

Some friends here have talked about us "going home" but it does not feel like that at all. We are leaving home and going to a place that feels like it fits (based on a visit there earlier this year). When traveling out of the country and ask where I am from I always say Canada. Asked my nationality the auto response is Canadian.

bottom line, I guess, is that at this stage in our lives we think rural UK is a better fit. dont really have any doubts at the moment. The proof of the pudding (or the proof is in the proof as Jean C once said) is in the doing, I know. But you never know until you try.

I have been preparing by listening to Your and Yours on Radio 4 and periodically looking at the Daily Mail. Website!

Which area of the UK did you choose ?

tweed_wearer Sep 29th 2014 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by af92 (Post 11418425)
Regarding the 2 year rule in BC, I've had my license for just over a year. By the time I arrive, it'll have been about 1 and a half years. Is it possible to hold on for 6 months, and get the automatic transfer once my license hits 2 years old?

No. You have 3 month deadline from arrival in province in which to swap it.

Wombat7 Sep 29th 2014 6:19 pm

Area of UK selected - Suffolk

Juggernaut1064 Sep 29th 2014 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11422465)
Area of UK selected - Suffolk

Thats a nice area.

Wombat7 Sep 29th 2014 6:30 pm

Yes but as I sit looking out on my To garden bathed in sunshine with bright blue skies. My partner is there, looking for a rental, and it is pouring with rain.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect

Juggernaut1064 Sep 29th 2014 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11422485)
Yes but as I sit looking out on my To garden bathed in sunshine with bright blue skies. My partner is there, looking for a rental, and it is pouring with rain.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect

yeah i know from family the UK has had odd weather this year from really hot to crazy amounts of rain lol

Wombat7 Sep 29th 2014 9:20 pm

But at least no ice storms and ground covered with snow from December to April!

Juggernaut1064 Sep 29th 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11422692)
But at least no ice storms and ground covered with snow from December to April!

Very true, most years the weather is much more settled.

Wombat7 Sep 29th 2014 9:33 pm

That was then think, we are coming to a new normal. But will still will have fewer extremes than Toronto, and way few than edmonton. Not that extremes of weather are a bad thing. I like seasons but can give up double digits below

Juggernaut1064 Sep 29th 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wombat7 (Post 11422704)
That was then think, we are coming to a new normal. But will still will have fewer extremes than Toronto, and way few than edmonton. Not that extremes of weather are a bad thing. I like seasons but can give up double digits below

if you get down to -10 in the UK the country will shudder to a stop lol more like - 3 to -5 lol
Make sure you checkout the Norfolk Broads too and the new steam engines they have running in the UK.