Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK DRIVING LICENSE

UK DRIVING LICENSE

Old May 17th 2009, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

JIMBOTRUCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK DRIVING LICENSE

Hi All, hoping someone can help me out here. Im desperately wanting to emigrate to Canada, have had some job offers but am really unsure / apprehensive about surrendering my UK HGV license. Am I allowed to keep hold of it or does it get sent back to Swansea or do Canadian authorities keep it? Any Help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,, Jim.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK DRIVING LICENSE

Originally Posted by JIMBOTRUCK
Hi All, hoping someone can help me out here. Im desperately wanting to emigrate to Canada, have had some job offers but am really unsure / apprehensive about surrendering my UK HGV license. Am I allowed to keep hold of it or does it get sent back to Swansea or do Canadian authorities keep it? Any Help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,, Jim.
If you want to drive HGV in Canada you have to surrender your UK Licence.

You then have to sit an Air Brakes Multi Guess (choice) test and then a driving test. You also need a medical and drugs test.

Your UK licence is returned to UK. Some have "Lost" their UK licence prior to departure then found it again after the replacement one arrived and then when arriving in Canada "Accidently" gave the previous "Lost" licence to the Canadians and kept the new one just in case they ever returned to the UK. However DVLA now have a database of replacment / lost licences so if you surrender your lost licence to the Canadians DVLA will inform them... well should do.

If you want to emigrate then there should be no need for your UK licence. Get a drivers abstract printout from DVLA for £5 showing your whole driving history since the day your first licence was ever issued if you want proof for the future.

HTH

Old May 17th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JIMBOTRUCK

I can understand your apprehension. However, there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and most of the Canadian provinces. I can tell you that Alberta, will take your UK licence and exchange it for a Class 5. If you want any other class of licence, you will be required to re-test.

When you hand your UK licence into the Alberta Registry in exchange for the Alberta licence, your UK licence will get sent from that Registry to the Alberta Government Services Building, where they are held for up to one month and then sent back to the headquarters of the DVLA. From there, the DVLA flags your file stating that it has been surrendered in exchange for an Alberta one.

This is what happens here. I would hope that it would be the same for the other provinces, but I am not 100% sure.
Old May 18th 2009, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

JIMBOTRUCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info chaps, but I read in a previous thread that certain provinces, (either NB or NS) not sure which, dont send your uk license back to DVLA but keep it on file in Canada. Dont know how true this is but find it a bit strange.