Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

Originally Posted by james.mc
I have read previously (in this Forum) that you should take proof of no claims with you.
In BC, at least, they are very specific about how the evidence from UK insurers is presented; it isn't difficult - just specific. Search the Canada section of the site and read the Wiki as there is plenty of info. "No Claims Bonus" means diddly-squat in BC, they want to see evidence of years of claim free driving and as new immigrants, you are limited on the amount of discount you can get.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

smky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

Would you lose your driving licence in the UK when you transfer it over to a canadian one?

I go back every month so just a little bit worried...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrtomsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
In BC, at least, they are very specific about how the evidence from UK insurers is presented; it isn't difficult - just specific. Search the Canada section of the site and read the Wiki as there is plenty of info. "No Claims Bonus" means diddly-squat in BC, they want to see evidence of years of claim free driving and as new immigrants, you are limited on the amount of discount you can get.
Just read the wiki and it advises to get a letter from each insurance company you used specifying dates of the policy. Would an insurance company really hold your details for that long? I've used about 3 different companies in the past 5-6 years and I am not sure it would be so easy to get letters from each of them.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smky
Hi everyone.

Would you lose your driving licence in the UK when you transfer it over to a canadian one?

I go back every month so just a little bit worried...
You generally have a driver's license from the jurisdiction where you are resident. When you move to Canada you exchange your UK license for a provincial driver's license here. You can use this when driving as a visitor in the UK. If you go back to the UK to live you exchange your Canadian provincial driver's license for your UK one. You don't lose your right to a UK license if you subsequently return to live in the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mrtomsterman
Just read the wiki and it advises to get a letter from each insurance company you used specifying dates of the policy. Would an insurance company really hold your details for that long? I've used about 3 different companies in the past 5-6 years and I am not sure it would be so easy to get letters from each of them.
It isn't. Nearly 5 months on, I'm still waiting for some of them to come through with calls to them on a weekly basis. However, it saves you a packet in terms of discount. Tesco are by far the worst (slow, missed off whole years of cover, still waiting for corrections) followed closely by Aviva (due to the Indian call centres not having the ability to write a non-standard letter). NFU were superb and did the letter while I waited but that is broker-based insurance for you. Still waiting for a response from Priviledge.

Ideally, you should go back 10 years but I couldn't even remember who I was insured with. I ended up going back through bank records to find out who I was paying insurance to and working from there. In the "old" days, a broker kept these records but in more recent times with internet quotes being normal, you would have to do it yourself.

It is hard and tedious but worth it. As an example, I have proved 8 years claim free driving to ICBC (British Columbia) and I'm driving a 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser on the equivalent of 3rd party, fire & theft and my premium is nearly $500 for 6 months - the maximum term I could get as a first time insured immigrant. Some folks here are reporting premiums at $3000 for newer cars with no discount.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

deaney is an unknown quantity at this point

[ONTARIO ONLY]

Hi Guys,

I'm currently living in Toronto and only just found out about this.

Having read there website, its a little unclear, I have tried to call them direct and well... do you remember royal mails automated system? imagine that but one that doesn't work. Even pressing 0 wouldn't take me to an operator without my Canadian driving licence number. FAIL.

Following this link: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/O...ryDrivers.aspx

It seems to say that you will need to:
1. Provide proof of driving licence and record (no problem, i have a copy of my paper counter part and my driving licence photo ID plus a no claims letter from my previous insurer)
2. Take an eye test (fine)
3. Take a written test???!?!? THEORY??
------------------------------------------------
4. If you can provide more than 3 years driving experience you will need to take the G2 or FULL G test?!?!?!

So am I getting this correct, provide my 5 years of no claims and driving experience and basically take the WHOLE test to be provided with a FULL G licence?

Are people here in ON swapping there UK licences for provisional ones?
Whats the fee?

Cheers!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deaney
[ONTARIO ONLY]

Hi Guys,

I'm currently living in Toronto and only just found out about this.

Having read there website, its a little unclear, I have tried to call them direct and well... do you remember royal mails automated system? imagine that but one that doesn't work. Even pressing 0 wouldn't take me to an operator without my Canadian driving licence number. FAIL.

Following this link: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/O...ryDrivers.aspx

It seems to say that you will need to:
1. Provide proof of driving licence and record (no problem, i have a copy of my paper counter part and my driving licence photo ID plus a no claims letter from my previous insurer)
2. Take an eye test (fine)
3. Take a written test???!?!? THEORY??
------------------------------------------------
4. If you can provide more than 3 years driving experience you will need to take the G2 or FULL G test?!?!?!

So am I getting this correct, provide my 5 years of no claims and driving experience and basically take the WHOLE test to be provided with a FULL G licence?

Are people here in ON swapping there UK licences for provisional ones?
Whats the fee?

Cheers!
no look at this

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx