Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:02 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving Licence to Canadian Licence

Dont forget to get a copy of your GB licence before you leave , hand in one and keep one (just in case)
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Dont forget to get a copy of your GB licence before you leave , hand in one and keep one (just in case)
Just in case of what? They don't take your paper copy anyway, so why do you need 2?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:32 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Just in case of what? They don't take your paper copy anyway, so why do you need 2?
They take both in NB
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Just to also point out, there is no UK driving license either. There is a Great Britain one and a Northern Ireland one. And a lot of provinces won't let you swap a NI one.
Ontario by any chance?!

Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

ellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As the original question seems to have got lost the answer is that it is three months after you take up residence in the province. This is not necessarily the same day as you become a permanent resident of Canada. In the circumstances you describe it will be three months after you move here permanently.
Thanks for the clarification JonboyE. Thanks everyone for all the other advise

Ellejay
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

szpon77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissE73
I did not have to take a test to get my Canadian Driving licence. As long as you have a full UK driving licence you should be able to just pay a fee and exchange it. They give you a basic eye test though! Mind you, I'm in Toronto, Ontario - so not sure if this is different in other provinces.

Could you please tell me if you need your counterpart driving license in exchange process?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

NikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant future

Just in case the OP didn't read somewhere else (yes I know this is an old post) the rules in BC changed last year and you can now swap a UK licence for a BC one, no test needed anymore.

And it doesn't just apply to newcomers, I had been here 2 years at that point. However if you have sat and failed a BC test they won't swap it.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikkiB
Just in case the OP didn't read somewhere else (yes I know this is an old post) the rules in BC changed last year and you can now swap a UK licence for a BC one, no test needed anymore.

And it doesn't just apply to newcomers, I had been here 2 years at that point. However if you have sat and failed a BC test they won't swap it.
Nearly had a heart attack when I read this without paying attention to the date of the original post! - not that I'm afraid of taking the test. I've taken it 18 times already in the UK!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:37 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by szpon77
Could you please tell me if you need your counterpart driving license in exchange process?
I think you do, they take a copy of both....they keep the photo card for returning it to DVLA and hand you the counterpart.

This is based on my experience in Ottawa/Ontario.

Cheers

JB
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JB0591
I think you do, they take a copy of both....they keep the photo card for returning it to DVLA and hand you the counterpart.

This is based on my experience in Ottawa/Ontario.

Cheers

JB
They took both parts of ours and kept them, issuing a new BC licence with no driving test required although they did ask a few road knowledge questions and we had to do the eye test. Would be worth reading the drivers manual.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:06 am
Just Joined

iancalcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Same process in New Brunswick
Hi Dave & Jules,
The Mrs and I with our kids are looking to relocate over to cananda specifically the New Brunswick Area, I was wondering if you could give us any pointers. I mean from the cost of bread right the way up to buying property, Should I use an agency to move over or ask for help & guidence through here? In anticipation

Ian & Em
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iancalcroft
Hi Dave & Jules,
The Mrs and I with our kids are looking to relocate over to cananda specifically the New Brunswick Area, I was wondering if you could give us any pointers. I mean from the cost of bread right the way up to buying property, Should I use an agency to move over or ask for help & guidence through here? In anticipation

Ian & Em
more people will see this if you make your own thread on the canada forum. Your best bet is to visit new brunswick with specific plans of checking out the specific costs of living that will affect you personally. Some things are cheaper in canada but some things are much more expensive (e.g. phones and bread)
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iancalcroft
Hi Dave & Jules,

Ian & Em
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

A quick search will give you most of the info you're after hopefully - cost of living in Canada is about the same as in the UK (as chanceUK said, some things cheaper but others more expensive, so generally it evens out). Property etc will be covered by previous threads as well, and also check the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which is full of useful information. You may not want to buy for a while though as from what you've said in your other thread you'll be there on a Temporary Work Permit, so until you've got PR it may be better to rent just in case.

HTH, and good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest did you encounter any problems with insurance when you started driving, as I understand that unless you can prove how long you were driving in the UK, Ie, getting a letter from your old insurer in the UK, they will treat you as a new driver, ie crazy insurance premiums!!!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:26 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I have read previously (in this Forum) that you should take proof of no claims with you. That's what we plan to do. Some Canadian insurance companies will accept them and others won't take much notice of them. Shop around until you get the best price as I have read wildly varying figures for exactly the same vehicle/driver combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.