Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Drivers Licence in BC

UK Drivers Licence in BC

Old Mar 28th 2016, 6:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Drivers Licence in BC

Originally Posted by London_Based
Secondly - it is not clear from the ICBC website if the exchange is automatic following provision of required documents and paying of the fee, or if a theory exam, medical test etc. is also required.
Some medical conditions will require a drivers medical, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, age (over 80), disability, restricted visual acuity, as examples. When you take out or renew a license there is a questions as to whether you have any medical conditions. Failure to answer accurate, would invalidate the insurance.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...ss-med-pro.pdf
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

London_Based is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Aviator. Are you or others aware of any formal practice guidance concerning rules of the road? I will start brushing up prior to departure.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by London_Based
Thank you Aviator. Are you or others aware of any formal practice guidance concerning rules of the road? I will start brushing up prior to departure.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ive-Smart.aspx
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the same as when I went about four years ago, it was three Qs and an eyesight test. I revised about a day or two before and got all my Qs right. My husband who had been some time before did not revise and got one wrong (although it made no difference and he still did the swap). He is the far better driver.

S
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you PMM.

Snowy560 - thanks also for the feedback. Did you or your husband get a letter from DVLA to evidence your driving experience or did you just rely on the two years experience if evident from your UK licence?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a DL licence from the UK since I was 25 and am very much older than that now. My husband has had one since his 17th birthday (and is much older than that now!).

Apologies if I have misread this thread and there's other arrangements in place if you haven't had a licence for long. I have just gone back to the beginning of the thread and realised you have held a DL licence for much less time. I'm sorry I probably should not have posted.

S
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I have had a DL licence from the UK since I was 25 and am very much older than that now. My husband has had one since his 17th birthday (and is much older than that now!).

Apologies if I have misread this thread and there's other arrangements in place if you haven't had a licence for long. I have just gone back to the beginning of the thread and realised you have held a DL licence for much less time. I'm sorry I probably should not have posted.

S
I have no problem evidencing the two years driving experience as my present UK licence was issued in 2013. I am just wondering if ICBC insisted on a supplementary letter from DVLA (as they suggest) as additional proof of your over two years of experience in the UK of if showing your UK licence when trading in was sufficient? Your posts indicate you emigrated in recent years. thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 10:03 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Some medical conditions will require a drivers medical, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, age (over 80), disability, restricted visual acuity, as examples. When you take out or renew a license there is a questions as to whether you have any medical conditions. Failure to answer accurate, would invalidate the insurance.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...ss-med-pro.pdf
Yes, and it's all diabetics. In the UK it's only insulin-dependent, which makes much more sense. A mild case of Type 2 diabetes, does not pose more of a danger than many other conditions.