Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are UK Degree's recognised in Canada

Are UK Degree's recognised in Canada

Old May 22nd 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are UK Degree's recognised in Canada

Hi folks,
I'm Stuart (OH of mandyg), could anyone tell me if Degree's gained in the UK are recognised in Canada. I'm thinking about studying for one whilst waiting ( 3 months down only 36 to go ), plus most of the jobs i've seen want graduates with 2+yrs experience not someone with nearly 18yrs experience
Your thoughs / comments welcome
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:38 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are UK Degree's recognised in Canada

Originally Posted by mandyg
Hi folks,
I'm Stuart (OH of mandyg), could anyone tell me if Degree's gained in the UK are recognised in Canada. I'm thinking about studying for one whilst waiting ( 3 months down only 36 to go ), plus most of the jobs i've seen want graduates with 2+yrs experience not someone with nearly 18yrs experience

It really depends on what your line of study is. I've read about a lot of difficulties UK teachers have had getting their qualifications recognised by the various school boards here. In general you need a degree/diploma/certificate for just about everything. If there is a governing body for your line of work in the province your moving to you should check how they deal with foreign qualifications.
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

UK degrees are recognized as degrees without much trouble. So if a job says you need a degree and you put down you have one form a UK university I wouldn't forsee any problems, lot sof people even from Canada study abroad or get degrees from European universities. In some cases it might even be seen in a more positive light as it shows an added educational diversity.

Where the problem arises is if you are trying to enter a regulated profession. Just like if you were at university in the UK you would want to get a degree that is accredited by whatever industry you want to move into, problems arise when your degree isn't acreddited by that organisation and so you have to start jumping through hoops and taking extra exams and work experience etc. to get in. Something things, from what I have seen, transfer across more easily than others and some professional organizations seem to have better links with their international counterparts than others. Also in Canada you have the problems related to everything being regulated by province, so you might have your qualification/experience accepted by one provinces' regulatory body but not another etc.

I'm kind of glad I got a more general computer related degree in the end rather than the engineering one I was originally thinking of doing after seeing all the hassles people go through to get recognized as a professional engineer over here.

So if you haven't picked your degree yet you might want to stay away fgrom professional type things like engineer, lawyer, doctor etc. and maybe try something where international experience is more widely regarded, like maybe something business related?

Drew
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:43 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, if your degree was only three years long as many were back in the eighties, it does not get full credit here in BC. The maximum you will get for an Arts degree (English, History etc.) is 60 lower level credits i.e. Years 1 and 2 of a four year degree, which means two more (usually wasted and expensive) years at Uni here to get the Canadian equivalent.
Old May 23rd 2006, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,
Like wizzard said it is true and the same for certificates and diplomas, i have a uk busines and finance diploma which got me my first job in the provincial government, my now job is with a education instutuate and thye accepted my uk computer qualifictions.

As long as you have the piece of paper and proof of the qualification getting or at least being level pegging for jobs is no problem...

UNLESS like said it is in a regulatory profession
a web site to look at for some of these is http://www.tradesecrets.org , please note this is for Alberta and may vary for other provincies

good luck
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Hi folks,
You are a bit late if you are thinking of doing a Degree part time whilst still working, as a 3 year degree takes 5 years part time.

There are some degrees that can be completed part time in 3 years though. I have pasted an example that Sunderland Uni do, so possibly your local Uni will do one as well.

Applied Management

Introduction

The programme is designed to allow people in work the opportunity to gain a full honours degree in 3 years. Students work with tutors to assess their own learning needs and draw up a personal development plan. Working in collaboration with their employer, work based tasks are set to ensure that both skills and knowledge in business and management are developed.

<snipped to remove copyrighted text - can you provide a link instead?>

Course Helpline: +44 (0)191 515 3000 | Email: [email protected]

Last edited by Biiiiink; May 23rd 2006 at 2:34 pm. Reason: Copyrighted text removed
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

debiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud of

Hi folks,

We had the same problem 15 yrs experience no degree so hubby done full time Open University in the evenings and worked in the day.The degree wasnt hard because he knew most of it from his job it was just getting it on paper. I found it stressful as I had 2 years of taking full responsibility for everything in order for him to study. Its worth it in the end go for it.
What are you hoping to study.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Just to add, if your degree was only three years long as many were back in the eighties, it does not get full credit here in BC.
I believe that NAFTA differentiates between people who have four year degrees and people who don't. I recall our corporate lawyer coaching me to lie at the border on this point so as to facilitate business travel back and forth to the US. Since the US and Canadian economies are tightly integrated it would prudent to look at what's valued in the US even if your primary work location will be Canada.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
Just to add, if your degree was only three years long as many were back in the eighties, it does not get full credit here in BC. The maximum you will get for an Arts degree (English, History etc.) is 60 lower level credits i.e. Years 1 and 2 of a four year degree, which means two more (usually wasted and expensive) years at Uni here to get the Canadian equivalent.
What do you mean "back in the eighties"? I graduated from university in 2002, and mine was only a 3 year degree! 3 years are still the norm for most UK universities/degrees, unless you opt to do a sandwich year (work placement).
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:52 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
What do you mean "back in the eighties"? I graduated from university in 2002, and mine was only a 3 year degree! 3 years are still the norm for most UK universities/degrees, unless you opt to do a sandwich year (work placement).
Then beware if you are headed to BC with a three year one wanting to do further Ed. I am still having problems getting credit for a three year degree (even though I also have a crappy Canadian degree) specifically for Masters purposes.
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:53 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe that NAFTA differentiates between people who have four year degrees and people who don't. I recall our corporate lawyer coaching me to lie at the border on this point so as to facilitate business travel back and forth to the US. Since the US and Canadian economies are tightly integrated it would prudent to look at what's valued in the US even if your primary work location will be Canada.
Isn't this predominantly healthcare workers? Bizarre....

Last edited by dingbat; May 23rd 2006 at 2:55 pm.
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
You can get your quals assessed for any province HERE
Old May 24th 2006, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wearsider
You are a bit late if you are thinking of doing a Degree part time whilst still working, as a 3 year degree takes 5 years part time.
I did my Open University BSc degree in 2 years, part time whilst running a business (10-12 hours per day) and not letting it interfere with my normal (ish) life too much. The modules that I chose for the degree were (on the whole) things that I can do with my eyes shut, so I didn't have to do too much studying.

And, of course, I'm very very clever

It can be done, and if you put your mind to it, it doesn't have to be that hard.