Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

uk current account options

uk current account options

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future
Default uk current account options

i keep a modest balance in my UK account but the bank who i've been with for years are making it very difficult for me to keep it due to their new security routine which involves them texting the account holders UK mobile when performing online transactions.

the majority of offshore accounts require absurd minimum balances or large opening deposits.

so does anyone have any suggestions for £ current accounts that dont have these barriers to entry given that i am a non-resident of the UK?

Last edited by cheepnis; Oct 2nd 2011 at 2:32 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:41 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: uk current account options

Originally Posted by cheepnis
i keep a modest balance in my UK account but the bank who i've been with for years are making it very difficult for me to keep it due to their new security routine which involves them texting the account holders UK mobile when performing online transactions.

the majority of offshore accounts require absurd minimum balances or large opening deposits.

so does anyone have any suggestions for £ current accounts that dont have these barriers to entry given that i am a non-resident of the UK?
I too am interested in people's experience. I am with HSBC now but I would move if I knew of another UK bank that offered a reasonable account. HSBC have done nothing for us out here (apart from lie to us) and we have moved onto BMO for our Canadian account and I would like to move our UK account.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
I too am interested in people's experience. I am with HSBC now but I would move if I knew of another UK bank that offered a reasonable account. HSBC have done nothing for us out here (apart from lie to us) and we have moved onto BMO for our Canadian account and I would like to move our UK account.
Have you had problems with HSBC in the UK or HSBC in Canada? If they've been ok with you in the UK then I'd stick with them. Opening a new account with another UK high-street bank as a non-resident can vary from difficult to near-impossible with all the barriers banks put up.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cheepnis;9652288]new security routine which involves them texting the account holders UK mobile when performing online transactions.QUOTE]

Pretty straight forward answer - Don't give them a mobile number. Or is that too simple?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Get a pay as you go mobile from UK, just top us needed
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

I ran a first direct account from Canada with no worries, but I already had it before leaving UK. I was able to move cash easily between it and my canadian hsbc premier account
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

NatWest Jersey
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
new security routine which involves them texting the account holders UK mobile when performing online transactions.
Pretty straight forward answer - Don't give them a mobile number. Or is that too simple?
If you don't have a mobile to which they text you the security code, you can do no more than browse your account. if you want to add/delete payees or do anything more complex and you're without a phone, you're pretty much screwed as they'd text you the security code needed to complete the transaction.

anyway, will investigate natwest (cheers, aviator) & rbs international - since posting to BE, have discovered that the latter may also be able to offer something that ticks my boxes. hang on, natwest=rbs anyway!! santander is like a cancer - didnt know til i checked wikipedia about the sale of all uk rbs branches to them a while back.

ugh, the more research i do into uk banking the less cash i fell inclined to leave behind as they all seem to be in a pretty precarious state.

Last edited by cheepnis; Oct 3rd 2011 at 12:49 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a mobile to which they text you the security code, you can do no more than browse your account. if you want to add/delete payees or do anything more complex and you're without a phone, you're pretty much screwed as they'd text you the security code needed to complete the transaction.

will investigate rbs international - since posting to BE, have discovered that they may be able to offer something that ticks my boxes
Can they not use text to landline
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So for the benefit of everyone else, which bank is this?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Can they not use text to landline
the number has to be a uk landline, so not very practical from where i'm at. that being the case, the other thing is that i'd need a friend or family member to relay this info every time i'd transact. carrier pigeon would probably be more useful and given that the bank in question is santander, the bird would be a more reliable option.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

another option is to get an incoming skype uk number and use that, or get a uk based sip number that will ring wherever you want it to worldwide on a mobile or ip phone connected to the internet. i use a uk sip number whenever i am travelling abroad and it rings on my mobile, of course i have to pay data charges if im not near any wifi network, but never had a shocking roaming bill.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:12 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

due to their new security routine which involves them texting the account holders UK mobile when performing online transactions.
Is that Santander by any chance? Cuz they are known for making their customers' lives hell at any cost.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the inheritance tax issues if you are a tax resident in Canada but have a UK bank account. I am considering closing my UK cooperative bank account as I don't want my kids having to pay UK inheritance tax should anything happen to me.
PS. The cooperative Bank has been very good to me. Free banking and they post my statement each month to Canada.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockyhill
Does anyone know the inheritance tax issues if you are a tax resident in Canada but have a UK bank account. I am considering closing my UK cooperative bank account as I don't want my kids having to pay UK inheritance tax should anything happen to me.
There are other ways to shed a UK domicile, if that is what you want to do.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Domicile-Australia

Inheritance Tax will always be pay on UK-situated assets, if they are above the nil rate band. Losing your UK domicile gets your non-UK assets out of the Inheritance Tax net.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Domicile-Australia

Canada doesn't have an inheritance or estate tax, but as far as I know does tax your accumulated capital gains at death (which the UK does not).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.