Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

Originally Posted by TRC
I have told the CRA this 5 times now to 5 different people.
Go into a CRA office and get it in writing. Calling a help line doesn't mean you will get the right answer as you are finding out. If you have it in writing then CRA can't come back at you as forcefully as opposed to the well someone on the phone told me.
I agree with JonboyE about looking at the floor. You are considered a resident of Canada if living in Canada on a permanent or temporary basis unless a visitor.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:14 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Register as a business now - sole proprietor

Business name registration information (Ontario) - Canada Business Network

Register for GST when you hit $30k.

If you look at CRA's website under "Exempt" you will see that it's very specific and does not include overseas service provision.
Exempt supplies - List of GST/HST exempt supplies

If you look at CRA's website under "Exports" you will see that the export of services is zero rated.
GST/HST - Exported services

This is making sense to me now, I just find it bizarre that the CRA keep telling me the wrong thing.

So I can still claim my rent, laptop upgrades as expenses even if I dont register GST til later?

I'd imagine a flight back home on expenses would be a stretch?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
This is making sense to me now, I just find it bizarre that the CRA keep telling me the wrong thing.

So I can still claim my rent, laptop upgrades as expenses even if I dont register GST til later?

I'd imagine a flight back home on expenses would be a stretch?
Those are tax (as in income tax) deductible, nothing to do with GST.

You can deduct around 10% of your rent, specific to a home office environment.

Work-space-in-the-home expenses

You could only claim flights if they pertained specifically to your work and were essential, I believe.

Business expenses
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:28 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks for this.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:46 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

I've just went to register, I've noticed that it says I only need to register if my business name is different to my full name? What if I want to use my full name I dont need to register?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
I've just went to register, I've noticed that it says I only need to register if my business name is different to my full name? What if I want to use my full name I dont need to register?
You are reading the wrong bit. You only need to register a name of your business is different to you personal name. Even then it is not mandatory to register a proprietorship business name. This is to protect a business name.

You would register tax accounts in your personal name if you are a proprietorship, which is the legal entity. If incorporated that would be the registered name and the legal entity.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:08 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

Yeah I called an advisor and they told me I dont need to register if I use my full name, although if I want to claim expenses I should register a business name.