Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen working for UK Company remotely.

Originally Posted by TRC
Can I invoice the British company still when I am on the visitor visa? I'm hoping I'm only on the visitor visa for a month or two.
It could be deemed work if you will be engaging in a business activity that is competitive in the marketplace, something a Canadian business could reasonably expect to be doing. If you can justify why you living in Canada doing the job would not indicate a Canadian business could also do the job, should not be an issue.

If you issue an invoice and all the contact details and banking are in the UK, likely to be OK for a few weeks. I certainly would not be looking to register for any accounts with CRA or even contact them before having residency, this would be indicative of 'working'.

Once you have residency, self employed in Canada requires no registration, however if you meet certain criteria, such as revenue over $35k, a business number, employee people, a payroll number, export/import, number for this. It is the same number, just a different suffix. A municipality my require you to have a business license, the homeowners insurer should be notified and if using a vehicle for work, the car insurance may be required for business use.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:24 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

It would essentially be freelancing for a web development company based in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
Can I invoice the British company still when I am on the visitor visa? I'm hoping I'm only on the visitor visa for a month or two.
Yes
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It could be deemed work if you will be engaging in a business activity that is competitive in the marketplace, something a Canadian business could reasonably expect to be doing. If you can justify why you living in Canada doing the job would not indicate a Canadian business could also do the job, should not be an issue.
See post #14.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: What is work?

What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?

- long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
It's not really practical to do it.

Canadian law requires you put your business number on your invoices and you wouldn't have one. If you're self-employed, you have to have a SIN to apply for a business number and you haven't got one as a visitor.

Someone is now going to say you don't have to register for GST/HST if your income is below $30,000, which is a dumb thing to do because you can't claim ITCs if you don't register.

A foreign corporation for example can get one but why bother.

There's no particular problem with you staying on the UK company payroll for a couple of months.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 12:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Steve_;11723379]Canadian law requires you put your business number on your invoices and you wouldn't have one. [QUOTE]

Not quite true. A business is required to provide their GST/HST registration number to a customer when they are charging sales tax to that customer. If the supplier is not registered to charge sales tax there is no number to provide and no requirement to do so.

Someone is now going to say you don't have to register for GST/HST if your income is below $30,000, which is a dumb thing to do because you can't claim ITCs if you don't register.
This rather depends on individual circumstance, what input tax credits one has, whether it is worthwhile to reclaim the ITC. If the ITCs are under a couple of hundred dollars, it is more cost effective to not bother with all the paperwork. Not to mention CRA can audit any registrant at any time. Where ones billing is mostly service related, with maybe expenses such as phone lines, utilities and stationary, the hassle of dealing with GST is not worth it. There are lots of instances where it is not worthwhile and as many where it is. All depends on the individual circumstance.

There's no particular problem with you staying on the UK company payroll for a couple of months.
This I would agree with for the OP.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 6:09 am
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help guys, do you have any links to back this up as I need to show my boss.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
Thanks for the help guys, do you have any links to back this up as I need to show my boss.
To back what up? The not needing a work permit to work remotely (you've been given it) or the tax / self employed parts?

Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:55 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

Actually it's alright, I've explained all. Thanks for all the help
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If the ITCs are under a couple of hundred dollars, it is more cost effective to not bother with all the paperwork.
Well you're entitled to your opinion, imo there's almost never a case not to do it. The paperwork is very simple, you can register for a BN very quickly and if you've got low revenue the return is annual. Just add up your ITCs put them on the form, add up how much GST you collected, one minus the other.

I could understand if you were say, baking a few cakes and the ingredients had no GST and you don't want to collect it, but generally speaking you're better off doing it. Don't agree on a service job, you're going to be buying stationary, printer cartridges, using the phone, buying equipment to use, the ITCs add up pretty quickly. In fact at the start is where it is the most important because that's when you buy the most stuff in one go.

A business is required to provide their GST/HST registration number to a customer when they are charging sales tax to that customer.
Ah, but what if your customer wants to claim it as an ITC? This is why it works with Mrs Muggins' cakes but not if your client is a business and you're doing it to avoid being on the payroll.

Last edited by Steve_; Aug 15th 2015 at 1:11 am.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Steve_
Ah, but what if your customer wants to claim it as an ITC? This is why it works with Mrs Muggins' cakes but not if your client is a business and you're doing it to avoid being on the payroll.
If a business is not registered for GST, therefore not charging it, the purchaser cannot claim an ITC, as there are none. They can expense it, but a BN is not required by either party to do this.

No idea what the last sentence of this quote is getting at! I guess Mrs Muggins must have some idea.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 10:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

No idea what the last sentence of this quote is getting at! I guess Mrs Muggins must have some idea.
The idea behind the GST registration exemption is for tiny businesses that sell to people who aren't businesses, generally speaking. The example that is typically used is someone who sells a few cakes. Because cakes are subject to GST.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

smauger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
But given that he's planning on staying, he would become resident for tax purposes after 183 days, so that's the limit really.

You certainly can do it that way, depends on how big you think this business will be. If you're just a one-off overseas employee, then registering as self-employed (i.e. get a business number) and doing a T2125 every year is the simplest way.

Bear in mind that the export of services is zero-rated for GST/HST purposes. Which means you can claim ITCs against the GST/HST but you don't charge it.

Alternatively you (or your employer) can create a corporation in Canada and put you on that payroll, or the employer in the UK can get a business number and set up a Canadian payroll (generally speaking, not the best method because then the UK corporation has to do a T2).
I've been trying to get a straight answer for my situation from other posts but struggling to find it. I found this answer really helpful and was wandering if you know if the same rules apply if I'm on an IEC year visa (working holiday). I want to keep working for my UK employer. Am I right in thinking that on arrival to Canada I need to register as self employed - is this easy to do? Then I'll just need to invoice my UK employer, then do a tax return (T2125) at the end of each year? Sorry I don't understand some of the abreviations. If anyone could clear this up I would be forever grateful.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by smauger
I've been trying to get a straight answer for my situation from other posts but struggling to find it. I found this answer really helpful and was wandering if you know if the same rules apply if I'm on an IEC year visa (working holiday). I want to keep working for my UK employer. Am I right in thinking that on arrival to Canada I need to register as self employed - is this easy to do? Then I'll just need to invoice my UK employer, then do a tax return (T2125) at the end of each year? Sorry I don't understand some of the abreviations. If anyone could clear this up I would be forever grateful.
You don't register as self employed, there is no process to do as such. A corporation gets registered.

If you are going to earn over $30k a year you need to apply to CRA for a GST business number. You may require a business license (municipal).
GST is not charged to overseas clients, but you can claim input tax credits on business expenses.

A T2125 is filed along with your personal tax return at the end of a calendar year. You file both.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 8th 2015 at 1:48 am.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

You don't register as self employed, there is no process to do as such. A corporation gets registered.
Well typically you have to have a Business Number for GST/HST so in essence you do have to register.

Although whether it's worth bothering if you're earning a tiny amount on an IEC is open to question.

I want to keep working for my UK employer. Am I right in thinking that on arrival to Canada I need to register as self employed - is this easy to do? Then I'll just need to invoice my UK employer, then do a tax return (T2125) at the end of each year? Sorry I don't understand some of the abreviations. If anyone could clear this up I would be forever grateful.
A T2125 is a schedule to the T1 tax return. So when you do your tax return you have to fill in T2125 as well.

Although legally you don't have to get a GST/HST number unless you're over the limit, there's no real downside to doing it I can think of and it does mean you can claim ITCs, i.e. input tax credits. I.e. you can claim back any HST/GST you pay on supplies for the business. GST/HST works in a virtually identical way to VAT in the UK. The only major difference is the rate.

Take the time to read the actual CRA instructions, because it seems to me that 99.9% of people think that TurboTax or whatever can do this all for them. Which it can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.