Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk Citizen marrying a Canadian Citizen.

Uk Citizen marrying a Canadian Citizen.

Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Question Uk Citizen marrying a Canadian Citizen.

Hey Guys.

Can anyone tell me what the process is for getting married to a Candian citizen in Canada? I am a UK citizen.

My partner and I hope to get married in Canada, then return to the UK for a couple of years, before moving to Canada permanently. Any info greatly received!

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Citizen marrying a Canadian Citizen.

Typically you date for a while, meet the family, get engaged, give her a ring and set the date at a church or similar.

Kinda like the UK really

I married a Canadian:

I don't think citizenship even came up.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Post Re: Uk Citizen marrying a Canadian Citizen.

LOL. Thanks for that one. :P
Perhaps I should've been clearer. .....

Would there be any changes regarding Visa stuff as my partner will be living in England, on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa formerly Working Holiday Makers Visa?

And how do we go about name changing for official documents etc?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:00 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sargie2710
LOL. Thanks for that one. :P
Perhaps I should've been clearer. .....

Would there be any changes regarding Visa stuff as my partner will be living in England, on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa formerly Working Holiday Makers Visa?

And how do we go about name changing for official documents etc?
Okay i got married to a Canadian within England...to do this we had to pay for a form so that she would be allowed to wed in england (not sure if this is the same for a brit getting married in canada).

If she has already applied for the working holiday visa it may be worth it to not change her name just to ease the process...

if she hasn't applied for a visa it may be worth looking into a fiance/spousal visa for the UK as she will have an easier time in terms of getting a doctor/job/bank account...My wife had lots of problems living in england regarding this stuff...i guess the average person doesn't understand the rights of a person temporarily living in england whereas if you get her here as a permanent resident she is essentially english in terms of law (just can't vote and can be deported).
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

foggie is on a distinguished road

We just did something similar. I'm Canadian, my now husband is from the UK, and we got married in Canada in June 08.

I think requirements vary from province to province. We got married in Ontario and we didn't have to do any special forms or anything, we just took our passports to the local registry centre and filled out the usual forms to get a licence. It was very straightforward.

I've been living in the UK for 5 years on an ancestral visa. I would agree with PP - it would be much preferrable for your wife to be on a spousal visa than anything else. I have friends who have done this and it make life easier as they had more options with work etc.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how it would apply to you, but I (the Brit) married my OH (the Canuck) in Toronto in 2006. As we'd both been previously married we had to supply divorce certificates, and my UK one had to be notarised by a Canadian lawyer. This cost $200 if I remember correctly.

We both had to provide ID (we used our passports), filled out a form, paid the money and they gave us a list of people who could marry us.

I think I remember you have up to three months from issue of the licence to get married. After the wedding ceremony the person conducting the ceremony gives you a form to apply for your official marriage certificate after three months, and basically a temporary one to allow you to be able to change your surname.

As always, answers pertain to Ontario only, and other Provinces may differ, etc.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:28 am
Just Joined

canadiangirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi- I am confused- what do you mean they gave you a list of ppl you could marry?

My partner is from the UK and I am canadian, he is divorcing so obviously we cannot get married until that is over.

If you get married in ON can you apply for spousal sponsorship right away?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is British, I am Canadian. We met when I was living in England on a working holidaymaker visa (called something different now?) and decided we'd marry in Ontario, but settle in England. We got all our paperwork in order so that as soon as we were married in Mississauga, we drove to Ottawa a few days later to complete my residency forms for the UK, and he flew out to England and I followed a week later with my UK marriage visa "Indefinite Leave - Permit to Remain" or whatever it's called. I'm not positive but I seem to recall that if you get married and decide to settle in the UK whilst on a working holidaymaker visa, the whv becomes null and void - you need to clarify your position as a permanent resident in the UK to be entitled to the NHS and NI - you wouldn't be able to work and settle without clarifying the marital status. I'd double check to be sure though, it's been a few years since we went that route.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livermanl
whereas if you get her here as a permanent resident she is essentially english in terms of law (just can't vote and can be deported).
I was entitled - and I did vote - as a legal resident in the UK, although I am a Canadian citizen.

But British citizens cannot vote in Canada even though they are residents - which is soooo unfair considering all those taxes are deducted from paycheques just like any Canadian citizen ... but that's another subject, off topic, sorry.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadiangirl
Hi- I am confused- what do you mean they gave you a list of ppl you could marry?

If you get married in ON can you apply for spousal sponsorship right away?
The list is of people licensed to officiate as minister or registrar.

CIC want a copy of your marriage certificate, which you usually can't apply for until about 6 weeks after you marry in Ontario as the registrar/minister has to send the paperwork off first, though they do give you what is effectively a temporary certificate.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:07 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by indigoagain
I was entitled - and I did vote - as a legal resident in the UK, although I am a Canadian citizen.

But British citizens cannot vote in Canada even though they are residents - which is soooo unfair considering all those taxes are deducted from paycheques just like any Canadian citizen ... but that's another subject, off topic, sorry.
Britain's unfair. It's just the line is drawn in a different place. *Commonwealth citizen* residents can vote, but others can't. At least there's some logic to the Canadian approach. It's hard to imagine a good reason a Canadian on a work permit can vote, but an American can't.

To keep this vaguely on-topic: I married a Canadian in 2002. But I have nothing useful to say here. We married in the UK and there have been some big rule changes since then.