Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Child benefit in Canada, help needed

UK Child benefit in Canada, help needed

Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Child benefit in Canada, help needed

Originally Posted by seanyg
Out of interest, if you're living in Canada (and presumably they don't have your contact details?) how can they MAKE you pay it back or threaten you with court?

Well trust me, if they want to find you they will! Don't for one minute believe in that Data Protection Act crap. When it comes to the government and money they have access to all the information about you. I had a friend who was a 'tracer' and she could find out absolutely anything on anyone and she didn't even work for the government!!!

Anyway getting back to your question...... many of us probably filled out a P85 form which enables us to recieve a tax rebate. On this form you have to put your new employers details. So clearly this is one way they will find you, furthermore when you call them just to clear up 'a' matter they will probably say " you don't owe us any money so your claim is now closed" "it looks like we owe you money so can we have an up to date contact address". (this is what they said to me) So you may innocently give them your new Canadian address. Then months later a bill lands on your doorstep.

[I]

Plus, if you've told them you're emigrating and they choose to still pay you, surely that's their error and you shouldn't have to pay for it?

Anita
Yes, this was my previous argument with them regarding my overpayment of CB but they just continued to demand the monies back.

I have argued for years with these people over their sheer and utter incompetence and yet all they have say is "it was my fault I should have known I was being paid too much money". After 4 appeals and getting absolutely no-where, as they just didn't want to accept their responsibilty I just gave up. Now can someone please tell me if they knows how the tax benefit system works as it is the most complex system in the world. Half the time they don't even understand it themselves so how the hell are we supposed too

Last edited by Tracie107; Dec 24th 2008 at 12:43 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, if you're living in Canada (and presumably they don't have your contact details?) how can they MAKE you pay it back or threaten you with court?
They can sue you in England (their jurisdiction), obtain a judgment against you, apply to have that judgment registered in Canada (which then gives them a Canadian judgment) and enforce that judgment against you in Canada. Don't believe the "it's expensive and they won't bother" argument sometimes referred to on this site. It is relatively straight forward and inexpensive for any creditor to do this.

Plus, if you've told them you're emigrating and they choose to still pay you, surely that's their error and you shouldn't have to pay for it?

Surely you don't honestly believe this argument?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracie107
I have argued for years with these people over their sheer and utter incompetence and yet all they have say is "it was my fault I should have known I was being paid too much money". After 4 appeals and getting absolutely no-where, as they just didn't want to accept their responsibilty I just gave up. Now can someone please tell me if they knows how the tax benefit system works as it is the most complex system in the world. Half the time they don't even understand it themselves so how the hell are we supposed too
I agree. How would you know if they're paying you too much. They're the ones with the figures, and we give them the information required.

I see why some people in the UK just want as many kids as they can and never work, as it's easier to get income support than deal with the tax credit people if you're working.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I had an awful job to get them to stop paying me, as have several others on the forum and on other country forums too... Get it done before you leave the UK, it's the only way they seem to listen
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I had made so many notes each time I spoke to them....names/ dates /times/details of conversations.

In one of my letters to them, I told them to check their call log, as on their message it states that all calls are recorded (not sure if they actually do though!) This would prove my case!

In our case one of the things that seem to have caused them confusion was that we originally came to Canada for one year, so the Tax credit dept kept paying us, although I had tried to cancel it before leaving.

Linda
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

This is not rocket science!!! They make a note in your file that should say this person moved to Canada and should not receive any more payments end of story. I hope everyone who has this problem fight them because it sounds like they are a bunch of idiots:curse:

Ben