Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK car hire CDW fees

UK car hire CDW fees

Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK car hire CDW fees

Hi we just picked up a hire car at LGW and they're loaded an extra £20 a day on top. Last time we managed to avoid paying this.

We have 24 hours to prove to them we don't need it. I can't remember what we provided last time but it was something to do with our Canadian credit card (HSBC) but I can't recall. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do so as not to pay these charges.

Thanks very much.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car hire CDW fees

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hi we just picked up a hire car at LGW and they're loaded an extra £20 a day on top. Last time we managed to avoid paying this.

We have 24 hours to prove to them we don't need it. I can't remember what we provided last time but it was something to do with our Canadian credit card (HSBC) but I can't recall. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do so as not to pay these charges.

Thanks very much.
select your relevant card from here and forward the insurance certificate?
Credit Card Insurance and Other Services| HSBC Canada
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ☺ I think this is what we need xx
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

"Proving you don't need it" seems like pressured sales pitch. If you don't want the CDW or other insurance then you can do that without any other insurance coverage through CC or other. Just that its at your risk. Damage the car and you'll pay for it.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much.
You should post which rental company you used because.....

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
"Proving you don't need it" seems like pressured sales pitch. If you don't want the CDW or other insurance then you can do that without any other insurance coverage through CC or other. Just that its at your risk. Damage the car and you'll pay for it.
...this.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Europe Car we didn't have to get CDW in 2015 but I think we brought some kind of proof with us. The link Oak V provides seems to provide the proof (I hope) x
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Standard sales practice from an industry populated by scrotes. I've had car rental companies try to upsell me from a manual to an automatic after they asked 'when was the last time you drove in the UK' and I answered '3 years' at which point they said 'um, you would probably be a lot more comfortable driving an automatic as roads have changed a lot in those 3 years'. When I said I would take an automatic in a larger car, same price and they were to pay the difference in fuel consumption as they were so concerned with my well being they dropped the topic and said 'no need to be so argumentative sir'.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

They wouldn't let my husband take the car without it.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same experience with EuropCar in Dublin - my credit card insurance covers me, but they wanted a letter stating this. I said that I'd be happy to pay the full cost of any loss or damage (and my credit limit was large enough to authorise this) but the sales-git then said that that would not work as there was no 3rd party insurance included in the price I'd been quoted. I'm pretty sure that couldn't be the case. But it ended up costing me $800 to take out their crap insurance. Moral of the story - don't prepay for car hire, then you can walk away when they try to rip you off! And avoid EuropCar
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just booked today using Enterprise (through their UK web site). CDW is included in the rental (limiting liability to £1,000). I will pay on arrival using my American Express card which includes CDW anyway.
Ford Focus manual for 1 week: £137.00. £125.00 if pre-paid.
The same vehicle with the same coverage runs £222.00 when booked through the US web site.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

They wouldn't let my husband take the car without it.
That's because of the 50% commission...
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I have just booked today using Enterprise (through their UK web site). CDW is included in the rental (limiting liability to £1,000). I will pay on arrival using my American Express card which includes CDW anyway.
Ford Focus manual for 1 week: £137.00. £125.00 if pre-paid.
The same vehicle with the same coverage runs £222.00 when booked through the US web site.
But what country's driving licence did you say you had?

You may find that included CDW with Enterprise is not valid unless you have a current UKDL. Its in the teeny tiny small print.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked their website where it states

Remember, your quote includes
LAFAll mandatory fees (1)VATVAT (2)
Foot notes(1)(2)

(1) Covers the fees for licensing the vehicle and road taxes
(2) Value Added Taxes (VAT) and other local taxes that may apply

and on this page https://www.europcar.com/terms-and-c...and-protection

1. Mandatory third party liability insurance provisions
We are mandated by the laws of all of the countries in which we operate our vehicle rental services to insure our Vehicles against liability for the claims or actions of Third Parties. We have purchased the best Third Party Liability insurance from the foremost insurers in the business and it is automatically included as part of our vehicle rental services. You will therefore, as a matter of course, be covered up to the level legally required by the country in which you are renting the Vehicle for the consequences others may suffer as a direct result of your actions whilst you are driving the Vehicle.

There is no requirement to obtain CDW through them - they state it's optional. You may want to show them their own website!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
But what country's driving licence did you say you had?

You may find that included CDW with Enterprise is not valid unless you have a current UKDL. Its in the teeny tiny small print.
Nope. I specified my US (FL) drivers license.

I rented with them in April. Same company, same location. They tried to sell me additional insurance as well as GPS/pre-paid fuel, etc.

I told them my Amex covered it. They tried to claim their coverage was better but I declined and they didn't push it any further.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the big mistake we made was not bringing the proof with us this time and then being tired and perhaps not arguing with them effectively.

Then my daughter reports they tried to sell him insurance for £39 a day. Husband protested so they brought it down to £20 a day and said he couldn't leave with the car without it. (I was sitting on the seats away from them with the rest of the party).

We sent them an email and are following up with a phone call as we speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.