Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK to Canada calls

Wikiposts

UK to Canada calls

Old May 9th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK to Canada calls

This must have been discussed before (so apologies),but I can't get the search tool to return anything relevant.

Can anyone recommend a good international calling card company to use for calling Canada that has clear call quality. Many use voice over IP and have poor reviews.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old May 9th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

chriscanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Canada calls

Originally Posted by chrisparr
This must have been discussed before (so apologies),but I can't get the search tool to return anything relevant.

Can anyone recommend a good international calling card company to use for calling Canada that has clear call quality. Many use voice over IP and have poor reviews.

Thanks in advance

Chris
From my experience there isn't anything better than face-time over 2 ipads. sure it has a high price for setup, but then calls over wi-fi are free, and talking with your family face to face with no lag and perfect sound quality? priceless.

For all general calls I use skype, calling landlines are super cheap, never had a problem with quality, Use the skype ap on my iPhone, so its just like calling normally
Old May 9th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Chris,

Skype et. al. will be fine when I'm over there and communicating with friends and family etc... I just want to ensure call quality if I'm ringing potential employers from the UK in an attempt to set up meetings/interviews.

I get quality problems with Skype when doing video calls (even to people in the UK), but never tried Skype out to call land lines (I'll probably give it a go though).

Any one else have other good quality options?

Cheers

Chris
Old May 9th 2011, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Any one else have other good quality options?

Cheers

Chris
BT landline
Old May 9th 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said, a BT landline.

BT offers a service called international freedom where for 5 pounds per month you can call a number of countries including Canada for free (up to an hour)

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=25500
Old May 9th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.

I have cable rather than BT, but I'll see if virgin media do anything similar.

Cheers

Chris
Old May 9th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I get my land line and calls through O2, and as part of the package I get 100mins a month of international calls, and Canada is included as a country I can call. Depends how much you plan to be calling, but I find it very handy
Old May 9th 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Just call
http://www.justcall.co.uk/

1p per minute, no card needed.

I used it for my telephone interview.
Old May 9th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidsk
Just call

Looks good.

I'll give it a go.

Chris
Old May 10th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

we use skype to landline all the time; it's crystal clear and costs $8 a month for unlimited free landline calls
Old May 10th 2011, 6:14 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

My hubby's in Vanvouver at the moment in a reccie trip. He's actually in New Westminster and tried skyping four times to our landline. Hopeless!!!! Why would that be? Everyone raves about skype but I couldn't hear him, he then couldn't hear me and the time delay was so bad when we actually did have a moment where connection was okay we kept tripping over each other's speech. Most disappointing....I was really looking forward to speaking to him too
Old May 10th 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

chriscanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dotty P
My hubby's in Vanvouver at the moment in a reccie trip. He's actually in New Westminster and tried skyping four times to our landline. Hopeless!!!! Why would that be? Everyone raves about skype but I couldn't hear him, he then couldn't hear me and the time delay was so bad when we actually did have a moment where connection was okay we kept tripping over each other's speech. Most disappointing....I was really looking forward to speaking to him too
you need a good internet conection & a good device to skype from,

I was using an iphone, wifi, 8mbps average bandwidth.
Old May 10th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like some kind of affects of network latency or pc performance/setup. sometimes if you've got a lot of things running in the background this can make it worse.

all I can say is Eastlink to BT is always clear and no latency I can tell.

but don't worry, Microsoft is to buy Skype so we're all doomed!
Old May 10th 2011, 6:25 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by davidsk
Just call

That looks good....is there a Canadian equivalent that my hubby can use whilst he's in Vancouver. Like the poster above said, I don't think he can rely on the Internet provider used by his b and b hosts.....
Old May 10th 2011, 6:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I have cable rather than BT, but I'll see if virgin media do anything similar.

Cheers

Chris
We had Virgin Media. Last year it was an extra £1 per month which gave all calls to North America (and some other countries) for 2p a minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.