Reload this Page >

UK to Calgary - Family of 6

UK to Calgary - Family of 6

Old Apr 25th 2022, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Masterteck83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Calgary - Family of 6

Evening guys,
Me and my wife are currently applying to relocate to Cochrane, Alberta from the UK, I am going the express entry with accelerated Tech Pathway as my job NOC is included in their list. Our worry is money ( When is it not)
Currently we live what feels like just an existence and finding it hard to figure out what a larger family budget would be to be comfortable. My salary would be in the 70-90k range but after taxes and rent we would be left with around 3-4k and are worried after groceries, utilities and such we again wont have an enjoyable time. Is there anyone here with a larger family who wouldn't mind disclosing if 3-4k is enough for us after rent is paid.
Thanks
Chris
Old Apr 25th 2022, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Calgary - Family of 6

Hi, welcome to BE.

Would your wife work too?

Why does your potential salary have a range of $20k? Presumably you have a job offer already if you'll be applying under the AINP Tech Pathway, so what is the actual salary for that?

And how have you calculated your salary after tax? $3-4k after rent seems quite high for a $70k salary?

If you can give a bit more info , hopefully those in AB will be able to help you work out if your salary is feasible or not for a family of 6.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 25th 2022 at 8:53 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masterteck83
Evening guys,
Me and my wife are currently applying to relocate to Cochrane, Alberta from the UK, I am going the express entry with accelerated Tech Pathway as my job NOC is included in their list. Our worry is money ( When is it not)
Currently we live what feels like just an existence and finding it hard to figure out what a larger family budget would be to be comfortable. My salary would be in the 70-90k range but after taxes and rent we would be left with around 3-4k and are worried after groceries, utilities and such we again wont have an enjoyable time. Is there anyone here with a larger family who wouldn't mind disclosing if 3-4k is enough for us after rent is paid.
Thanks
Chris
We moved to Calgary with a family of 5 and required a mortgage of around $250,000 but no other debt. Interest rates were 5.25% then. I didn't have a job on arrival but got one paying $55,000 2 weeks later. We coped comfortably before my income increased but we were careful with our spending.
Old May 5th 2022, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

A salary of $90k is certainly decent but I do not think this is luxurious for a family of 6. Will your wife be working too at some point? Depending on deductions on your pay, you would need to be careful with your money. Housing is bonkers in Cochrane these days, and rentals few and far between, but is is a great place to live and bring a family. The usual complaints about increases in costs are the same across the country, but fuel and groceries for example have definitely increased over the last few months.

Not sure what ages the children are, but activities can slowly add up x 4. But you can kerb those sort of costs of course. Teenagers will need transport from you and then need to get their own to get out of Cochrane.

What brings you to Cochrane in particular and what are you seeking out of a life here? A recent census puts the average age at 39. It’s a growing town with tons of new families moving here, especially from BC and Ontario where they are priced out of housing, but ironically that is skewing house prices here as they all pay $100k more than the house here was worth a year ago. Family doctors are like unicorns.

It is do-able of course, but not ‘living it up’
Old May 5th 2022, 12:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masterteck83
Evening guys,
Thanks
Chris
What you need to live your lifestyle is such a subjective thing. One person's (or family's) expectation is going to be different from another.Some thoughts though. Do you live comfortably enough with your family of 6 in the UK? Do you expect to get paid more in Canada than in the UK for your job? If you are not living the lifestyle you would like or are struggling in the UK then paying a bunch of money to move to Canada is not likely to materially change your situation for the better, unless for some reason your salary for the same job in Canada is going to be significantly more. It's difficult to imagine why a job in Canada would pay relatively more than the UK but not impossible. Canada is an expensive country to live in. Do assess your outgoings in the context of earning in Canadian rather than looking at the cost of say a car, dividing by 1.65 and thinking "boy that's cheap".

I can't offer any insight into Calgary but I can tell you that with a family of four in Newfoundland, we would struggle to live any kind of comfortable lifestyle on $90k. Some of our costs - food, booze - are going to be higher than Alberta but others, notably housing, are lower. Six people on $90k is not going to be the high life anywhere in Canada IMHO - but again that's subjective.
Old May 10th 2022, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it isn't enough, if your missus could drag another 30k in maybe that would help, salaries on adverts if its hourly pay are often based on high hours compared to UK, so there is no telling whether that is guaranteed income it could be lower unless your salaried.