Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK bank cards - possible heads up

UK bank cards - possible heads up

Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:02 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK bank cards - possible heads up

My apologies if this is not news. I only just found out about it.

I maintain an account with Barclays. This comes with a debit/cash card that I use rarely in Canada, often when I go to the US (it works better than my Scotiabank card) and lots when I go to the UK. While doing a bit of online banking, I noticed a warning on the Barclays website about using cards overseas. It appears that you have to let them know in advance or the card won't work. I think this must be quite new because I used my card in Wyoming a few months back.

I raised the issue with some scouser just now, while making a transfer. He told me that, because Barclays know I am in Canada, my card will work fine here. If I go to the US, which I'm doing in a couple of weeks, I will have to let them know beforehand. Most bizzarely, I will also have to let them know if I'm going to the UK.

Other banks are probably doing the same.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK bank cards - possible heads up

Originally Posted by Souvenir

I maintain an account with Barclays. This comes with a debit/cash card that I use rarely in Canada, often when I go to the US (it works better than my Scotiabank card) and lots when I go to the UK. While doing a bit of online banking, I noticed a warning on the Barclays website about using cards overseas. It appears that you have to let them know in advance or the card won't work. I think this must be quite new because I used my card in Wyoming a few months back.

I raised the issue with some scouser just now, while making a transfer. He told me that, because Barclays know I am in Canada, my card will work fine here. If I go to the US, which I'm doing in a couple of weeks, I will have to let them know beforehand. Most bizzarely, I will also have to let them know if I'm going to the UK.

Makes logical sense to me. We have always let our bank and credit card companies know when we are going abroad. I suppose shopping abroad may trigger a potential fraud problem. My friend had her credit cards stopped when abroad previously and we didn't want this happening to us.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:18 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotia bank do the same for Interac
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:21 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Scotia bank do the same for Interac
Can you point me to where on the Scotiabank website it says that? I just spoke with my branch and the lady told me they don't require advance notice.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This has cropped up occasionally. As usual, people are having different experiences with the same situation.

I had been using my card regularly here. Suddenly it wouldn't pay and I'd had nothing from the bank about a policy change.

Now I know I have to let them know in advance. That's workable but it would have been nice if they'd let me know before I was left without cash.

My UK credit card is working fine in Canada and I've never had to let them know.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:19 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Can you point me to where on the Scotiabank website it says that? I just spoke with my branch and the lady told me they don't require advance notice.
I think it depends on the relationship you have with your bank Souv.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This has cropped up occasionally. As usual, people are having different experiences with the same situation.
Dead right, varies widely.

Mr B's Scotia Visa used to get blocked if he went outside Winnipeg (!) - even for transactions as low as 20 USD. They put him on "VIP" status (to allow all transactions and stop his ranting phonecalls) but that didn't work either. He had several cards issued as they said it was a card fault, but those didn't change anything. Leaving Manitoba seemed to do the trick - no probs since moving accounts to Ontario! He did gain several thousand card points by complaining - enough for an Xbox 360, but still

Meanwhile my UK cards have always been fine - even in random places, Winnipeg one week, Sri Lanka the next, didn't ring alarm bells for them.

My Canadian HSBC card has been blocked once - in Mexico. The call centre person I spoke to to get it lifted said pretty much any transaction in Mexico or Turkey would be stopped. I wrote and complained about the inconvenience and total bollocks of letting them know where I was going and they phoned to apologise and gave me the annual fee back - 60 CAD.

I still don't get the point of telling them where I'm going and I won't do it. I'd rather phone up and sort it if it's been blocked. What does telling them really stop? If I tell them I'm in Mexico, and my card's pinched and someone goes on a spree in Mexico - is it all okay because they expect the card to be used there? I get it with random transactions but it's their problem, not mine. I want the cards for the convenience, and that doesn't include giving them a running commentary on my movements.

Having said I won't call unless there's a problem, when OH's Scotia Visa was blocked one time in the UK we tried to make a collect call to the number on the back, as it says to do... and no operator would put us through, the Scotia number is on the "does not accept charges" list and they would not connect us. Not BT, nor some other company who ran a payphone we tried, just wouldn't do it. Same happened to OH's parents the other week in Tennessee with their (presumably blocked) Nationwide card - no reverse charges to either of their call centre numbers. Not good if you've been robbed or have no access to other funds. And they did tell Nationwide they were touring Canada and the US!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:17 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt see it on the website but when I got some £££ there the teller asked for the dates we would be in the UK so that the interac card would work.

Maybe its just a local thing for Peterborough???
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

It's not a bad thing.....

And I think it depends on your usual spending habits.... i.e. if you're overseas regularly then you'll you're less likely to have the card stopped.

I have noticed that Nationwide have an option on the telephone banking to "Notify us of an upcoming overseas trip"..... But i'm with biiink that I wouldn't bother until there was an issue.

The only time I got stopped was when my card registered a purchase in NZ, then LA, then London in the same day (The LA one being before the NZ one due to time differences)...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how globalization works only for big biz and not us mere mortals, eh?

I used my UK HSBC card to draw some cash the other day, 100 bucks. I hadn't used it for months, but was forced to this time (left Canada one at home and was running out of petrol). It worked fine, but within 30 minutes I had the "Fraud Team" on my mobile just checking it was me using it. That's a comfort in a way......
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

We had this last November when we visited Canada - with Barclays.

We didn't mind (although we thought eh) that the ATM wouldn't let us have some dollars - we called the number on the back of the card and asked them what the problem was - they explained its to stop D/C C/C fraud - international transactions are not "allowed" on your card - until you let them know.

This usually happens after the first transaction is refused and you know you have dosh - you ring to ask about it and they say its fine - now we know.

We just give them a call before we go away now and you can do so in advance too i.e. im going to so and so on this date please activate my card.

Good to give peeps a heads up on it - we were lucky ours was an ATM transaction and not at a till! Now thats embarassing!

N
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:10 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
We had this last November when we visited Canada - with Barclays.

We didn't mind (although we thought eh) that the ATM wouldn't let us have some dollars - we called the number on the back of the card and asked them what the problem was - they explained its to stop D/C C/C fraud - international transactions are not "allowed" on your card - until you let them know.

This usually happens after the first transaction is refused and you know you have dosh - you ring to ask about it and they say its fine - now we know.

We just give them a call before we go away now and you can do so in advance too i.e. im going to so and so on this date please activate my card.

Good to give peeps a heads up on it - we were lucky ours was an ATM transaction and not at a till! Now thats embarassing!

N
My Egg visa was put on hold when air canada tried to put our tickets on it. I rang up and it was unblocked right away. Since then it's been fine