Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Account and Credit Cards

UK Bank Account and Credit Cards

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default UK Bank Account and Credit Cards

Hi Guys,

Moving over to Toronto in the next couple of weeks!

Just sorting a few final things out before I go. Was intrested to know what others have done with their UK Bank Accounts and Credit Cards. Did you give them your new address or a relatives in the UK to keep the accounts running? or not bother updating them at all (with mail direction taking care of the statements)???

I bank with Lloyds so was wondering about the best things to do. Got a couple of credit cards that I want to hold onto for the credit line and if I need to return to the UK in the future.

Cheers,

P
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: UK Bank Account and Credit Cards

Originally Posted by pcuz
Hi Guys,

Just sorting a few final things out before I go. Was intrested to know what others have done with their UK Bank Accounts and Credit Cards. Did you give them your new address or a relatives in the UK to keep the accounts running? or not bother updating them at all (with mail direction taking care of the statements)???

I bank with Lloyds so was wondering about the best things to do. Got a couple of credit cards that I want to hold onto for the credit line and if I need to return to the UK in the future.

Cheers,

P
Just give your bank and credit card providers your new address in Ontario and you're in business. I've had all mine addressed to me here in BC for over two years. Simple and easy - just fill in a change of address form just as you would if you were moving to elsewhere in the UK.

Hope this helps.
Lousid
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank Account and Credit Cards

Originally Posted by pcuz
Hi Guys,

Cheers,

P
Gave new address in Canada.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
I've had all mine addressed to me here in BC for over two years.
My Barclaycard statements have arrived faithfully for twenty-five years.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

No probs with Halifax, RBS, HSBC - only one I didn't change address on was Egg and that was fortuitous as it seems they're about the only ones who don't like customers overseas. I did change status on Egg to non taxpayer, and that didn't seem to alert them to any out-of-country move...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

I work in a bank and you would be surprised how many people hold an account who live in Canada.

I also used to send out cheque books to Canada (post code problem), you wont have a problem with Barclays.

Saying that, if problems do arise, it wasnt me.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Wow

Thanks for the quick replies!!! much appricated!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:31 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Hi.

I work in a bank and you would be surprised how many people hold an account who live in Canada.
Given that, it's amazing how incapable they are of correctly formatting a Canadian address. I live in "Vancouver, BC, Canada, USA" apparently.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:33 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Given that, it's amazing how incapable they are of correctly formatting a Canadian address. I live in "Vancouver, BC, Canada, USA" apparently.
DBD will be along shortly to tell you that Canada is just an extension of the US anyway, so what harm?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
DBD will be along shortly to tell you that Canada is just an extension of the US anyway, so what harm?
Politically, culturally, economically, but never postally.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
And how when my UK bank sends me a statement that they duplicate it each time in separate envelopes both posted overseas despite me telling them about it on several occasions.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

We both bank with LloydsTSB and have updated to our Toronto address which in theory is no problem for LloydsTSB, except they have a problem formatting the Canadian Style address and postcode, so persevere and make sure they get it right.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to do my Barclays until over here in Canada and received letter the other day saying they couldn't do it and could I pop into my local bank to sort out. If I knew when I was going back to the UK for a holiday I could. Going to try again and send picture from passport
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:05 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I forgot to do my Barclays until over here in Canada and received letter the other day saying they couldn't do it and could I pop into my local bank to sort out. If I knew when I was going back to the UK for a holiday I could. Going to try again and send picture from passport
Been abroad with LLoydsTSB for years and years - they even granted me a loan to pay for my first expatriation

Nationwide I keep a UK address otherwise they might cotton on that I only have an account for free debit card withdrawals abroad and thus never have those penality payments that make them money
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Changed our UK accounts to overseas address - no problems at all. Only thing with the credit card company - they wanted a direct debit set up on a UK account, I assume so that they can get their money more easily! As we only want it for emergencies, that's fine with us, we set it up to pay the minimum balance (if and when needed).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.