Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk band 6 rmn looking for salary advice

Uk band 6 rmn looking for salary advice

Old Jul 31st 2021, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Satahjayne88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk band 6 rmn looking for salary advice

Hello I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right place! I am currently a band 6 rmn in UK with 5 years experience. I was wondering if Canadian employers take into account uk experience for salary or if you have to start on new graduate pay? Many thanks 😊
Old Jul 31st 2021, 4:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk band 6 rmn looking for salary advice

Hello and welcome to BE!

You will need to be prepared to start from scratch, once you have your Provincial Certification to enable you to work as a Mental Health Nurse.. generally speaking.
These threads may be of help to you - a quick search for 'nurse' will bring up more.. select 'Titles only' for what to search and 'Threads' then 'Canada' then tick child forums.. you can leave the username blank..
Mental Health Nurse (RMN, BSc) working in British Columbia (while it's for BC, the same applies to most Provinces)
UK nurse moving to Canada a long thread, you may want to make a cuppa

Do you have an application or route in mind for Permanent Residence or is this an exploratory question?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 31st 2021 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2021, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Hello and thank you for your reply!! I have just applied to nnas to compare my qualifications and then will apply through express entry. The starting salary in Canada for new graduates is lower than what I am earning in the UK so I was hoping they would take into account the 5 years experience I have in the UK
Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satahjayne88 View Post
Hello and thank you for your reply!! I have just applied to nnas to compare my qualifications and then will apply through express entry. The starting salary in Canada for new graduates is lower than what I am earning in the UK so I was hoping they would take into account the 5 years experience I have in the UK
What's your CRS score for EE? Might be worth applying sooner rather than later depending on what it is, once you've got PR you have nearly 3 years before you have to move, so plenty of time to get the nursing side of things sorted afterwards.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Hello thankyou I will apply for ee now. I did a free assessment of my score and it was 459 which I don't think is that high
Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello thankyou I will apply for ee now. I did a free assessment of my score and it was 459 which I don't think is that high
That's pretty good, borderline for getting an invite. Are you young enough to not need to worry about losing points for age anytime soon?
Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

I am 33 so not too young lol. My partner is 38 and her first language is Spanish and she does not hold a degree or diploma so I was thinking I would score higher if I applied on my own and added her as a dependent? I wasn't sure whether I should apply for nnas or express entry first so I went with nnas. Thank you for your advice
Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am 33 so not too young lol. My partner is 38 and her first language is Spanish and she does not hold a degree or diploma so I was thinking I would score higher if I applied on my own and added her as a dependent? I wasn't sure whether I should apply for nnas or express entry first so I went with nnas. Thank you for your advice
The NNAS process will take a heck of a lot longer (even with visa processing times backed up thanks to Covid), but once you've got the visas you have a while to move.

You'll lose some points when you turn 34 & 35, so could be worth looking at applying sooner rather than later.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

It is up to the employer whether they accept experience or not. I was fortunate mine did but not all do
Old Aug 1st 2021, 8:55 am
Just Joined

OK great thanks. Do you know how I apply to take the IELT? Do I Do this through express entry or do I need to apply separately? So far I have applied to NNAS and have paid WES to verify my education and I am just about to apply to express entry but have heard I need to arrange to take IELT as well. Is there any thing I am forgetting to do? Thank you for advice much appreciated
Old Aug 1st 2021, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK great thanks. Do you know how I apply to take the IELT? Do I Do this through express entry or do I need to apply separately? So far I have applied to NNAS and have paid WES to verify my education and I am just about to apply to express entry but have heard I need to arrange to take IELT as well. Is there any thing I am forgetting to do? Thank you for advice much appreciated
Your ECA (from WES) and your IELTs result are all you need to apply under EE. The rest of your documents (police certs, employment evidence, proof of funds, etc) will come later if you're invited to apply for PR.

You take your IELTS at an exam centre, click the link on this page to find your nearest and to book it - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-testing.html

HTH.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 9:47 am
Just Joined

OK thanks. Do I have to take IELT if my first language is English? I am English and studied in English
Old Aug 1st 2021, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK thanks. Do I have to take IELT if my first language is English? I am English and studied in English
Yes, it's mandatory for all FSW applicants.

HTH.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 3:18 am
Just Joined

7InBC is an unknown quantity at this point

I retrained in Canada as an RPN and the starting hourly wage in Interior Health Authority BC is $36.23 p/h, around $70K p/a before deductions, but also before shift differentials for nights, weekends and stat holidays etc. By my calculation that's $3.5K more than an AFC band 6, pay point 3 - though it is of course relative to the cost of living in your chosen town/province. If the employer does take into account your experience, step 5 pays $41.82 p/h or $81.5k p/a.

Colleagues immigrated 10 or so years ago and stated better wages here in BC were a huge bonus. O/T and stat holiday pay is also loads better than I received working for the Ambulance Service in the UK.

Perhaps it's not as grim as you thought?

All the best, Clare