Reload this Page >

UK Applances for use in Canada

UK Applances for use in Canada

Old Feb 2nd 2019, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Janida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Applances for use in Canada

Hello fellow expats,

My partner and I just moved to Canada and as a last minute decision packed our blender and Xbox console because we had some extra room but didn’t check the power inputs. (We had previously checked inputs for things like phones, laptops, chromecast and portable speakers which were all fine) However now that we have arrived we have realised the implications of our actions when it comes to power, especially of the blender!

I have just read a fantastic post on here about a similar issue (regarding-voltage-adapter-converter-canada-852018) but as that post is 4 years old I wondered if someone could briefly explain things about my situation?

My blender says 220-240V~ 50/60Hz 900W
and my Xbox says 200-240V~ 2.4A 50/60Hz

I believe the power supply in Canada is 110V at 60Hz so I know I can’t just used a simple plug adaptor but I was wondering if there is anything easy I can do?

I understand that a step-up voltage converter may be able to help (even if it looks clunky on the kitchen worktop) but I wondering where to buy one in store at Canada and what type I would need. (Thinking the 1500W but have some additional questions regarding it?)

For example, how much should I look to spend on a voltage converter? Does it convert just voltage? What about frequency, amps and DC or AC power? Also some voltage converters say not for continuous use but for the Xbox we would sometimes require 5+ hours of use.

Sorry to post here but any information you can give would be a huge bonus because at this rate I’ll be throwing out an expensive Xbox and blender because we already have them in Canada but can’t use them.

Thanks
Janida
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Applances for use in Canada

Hi we use a converter we bought on Amazon for our Xbox but I do believe you can buy a cable from Microsoft which you can just use instead of the uk cable. I’m not sure your blender will work with a converter as it will not produce enough power to make it work. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janida
I was wondering if there is anything easy I can do?
Buy new ones.

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Buy new ones.
Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi we use a converter we bought on Amazon for our Xbox but I do believe you can buy a cable from Microsoft which you can just use instead of the uk cable. I’m not sure your blender will work with a converter as it will not produce enough power to make it work. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the contrasting answers, I will have a look into a new xbox power block to save some money but might just have to sack off the blender. Unless anyone knows some cheap electrical store in Vancouver that sells voltage converters? (eBay and Amazon want double the item price when you factor in shipping)
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We were given a blender in the UK even though the people knew we didn't live there. We brought it over here, bought one of those clunky adaptors and used it for a couple of years because w were too cheap to buy a Canadian blender.

It really didn't work well.

Throw it out and buy a new one .......... they're really not that expensive!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
We were given a blender in the UK even though the people knew we didn't live there. We brought it over here, bought one of those clunky adaptors and used it for a couple of years because w were too cheap to buy a Canadian blender.

It really didn't work well.

Throw it out and buy a new one .......... they're really not that expensive!
Nice to hear someone was in a similar position and I appreciate your view point. Prehaps it is time to throw out the semi new expensive blender and buy a new one. Bit of a waste of a few hundred dollars but a lesson learnt.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...f_Goods-Canada
You should find a lot of answers in that link.. and if you do a search for voltage converters on BE you should come up with a few threads
Still confused over appliance voltage
Problems with adaptors not working?
Voltage Converters
110v to 240v booster
Another, possibly daft, question about electrical goods
Voltage converters
Regarding Voltage adapter or converter for Canada

Welcome to BE - and to Canada!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 4th 2019 at 6:25 am.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

JT plus is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends what model XBoX you have
The Original UK XBoX One has a 200-240 Volts power supply (the brick) so you would need to purchase a Us/Canadian power supply
The XBoX One S however has a compatible 100//240 power supply so does the XBoX one X
Old Feb 4th 2019, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JT plus
It depends what model XBoX you have
The Original UK XBoX One has a 200-240 Volts power supply (the brick) so you would need to purchase a Us/Canadian power supply
The XBoX One S however has a compatible 100//240 power supply so does the XBoX one X
Originally Posted by Siouxie
You should find a lot of answers in that link.. and if you do a search for voltage converters on BE you should come up with a few threads

Welcome to BE - and to Canada!

Thank you so much for the reply Siouxie, not only was it very friendly but also extremely informative... After clicking through the various links I’ve decided that a step up/ step down voltage converter might not be worth it for a single appliance, plus I can’t find out how well it would cope with 2 devices at once. I’m suppressed the converters are so expensive so I guess I’ll just need to buy a new blender. Oh well.

Also thanks for the info JT plus, I have the original Xbox one so it’s just rated for the 220/240V... Currently looking around for a us/ Canadaian power block but again these aren’t cheap at all. Frustrating to say the least but thanks for an answer.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

JT plus is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's one that's an ok https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078S2TZFL/ref=asc_df_B078S2TZFL58351478/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B078S2TZFL&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310568533429&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8988546725751034883&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006821&hvtargid=aud-548500765412:pla-561634056886Should work fine!
*Edit* I give up. why are there two links.. as a URL?

Last edited by JT plus; Feb 4th 2019 at 8:42 pm. Reason: strange way of editing a link .....
Old Feb 4th 2019, 10:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one that's an ok price
Should work fine!

It's an Amazon thing... it's irritating but nothing can be done..
Here's some more options..
https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Xbox-One-Console-Replacement/dp/B078WRNZG3/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T9AY44ZMBC21JT83WYMKhttps://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kmd-ac-...RD17284FM2QM1O
https://ca.dhgate.com/xbox-one-power-supply-canada.html
Old Feb 5th 2019, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's an Amazon thing... it's irritating but nothing can be done..
Here's some more options..
Here's one that's an ok price Should work fine!
Thank you both for your replies again, JT plus I think you linked an English adaptor than doesn’t ship to Canada but no worries because Siouxie provided lots of links... I now need to work out the trade off between price and reviews because they all got pretty poor reviews. (Also bonus snippet I didn’t even know Walmart was in Canada as well. Thanks.)
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is that most homes in Canada do have a 220V plug for the electric stove in the Kitchen that is a NEMA 14 outlet. You can use a NEMA 14 Male to NEMA 6 Female adaptor like this (https://www.evseadapters.com/product...r-adapter-2-ft):

Then a NEMA 6 to UK adaptor

Your blender could likely run on that using an adaptor, seeing as it does support 220v/60hz. It's a bit of a faff though and you won't be able to use the stove while you use the blender, unless you can find a NEMA 14 outlet splitter.

Probably easier to just get rid of the blender though...!

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Feb 5th 2019 at 8:57 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 11:18 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a bit of a zealot about all this. After so many years I'm not so passionate on the subject any more. But I will say that for those early years, when repairing the balance sheet from the cost of the move is paramount, the cost and inconvenience of buying and using a step up converter was far outweighed by not having to replace a bunch of kitchen appliances and garage tools. I still have a hammer drill and my wife has a bread maker that require a 220v step up converter. When they bite the dust they will, like everything else, be replaced with normal, 110v equivalents.

Last edited by rivingtonpike; Feb 5th 2019 at 11:20 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of talk on here (posts above) about "converters" but I either they are mistakenly using "converter" when they mean "transformer", or they're talking about an actual converter which is a relatively cheap device, and IMO not useful for anything but occasional use in a low power situation.

I would only recommend using a transformer, and have successfully used one to power my hi-fi for seventeen years since I hopped across the pond. I would recommend that if you buy a transformer, you choose one that has a power (watts or amps) capacity of twice the largest, most powerful appliance that you plan to use it for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.