Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Adult Trained RN - Timeline and Costs for Information Only

UK Adult Trained RN - Timeline and Costs for Information Only

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice
Default UK Adult Trained RN - Timeline and Costs for Information Only

I have recently completed the process of converting my BSc (Hons) First Class in Adult Nursing that I gained in the UK in 2015 to being granted provisional registration with BCCNP as a RN. For information, I am a Canadian Citizen who spent 11 years in the UK with my British husband. I thought it might be helpful for any UK trained nurses who are considering moving to BC to have a timeline and breakdown of the expenses I incurred along the way. In summary, the process took:

Approximate Total in Canadian Dollars for Fees and Tuition : $10361.68

This excludes the cost of any travel or accommodation required in the course of study, and does not include any immigration fees or the cost of moving from the UK to Canada.

Total Time from Initial NNAS Application to being granted provisional registration as a RN with BCCNP – 3 Years, 9 Months

May 4 2016
NNAS Application
$650 USD

June 1 2016
Transcript Fee from University to NNAS
£25

May 25, 2016
NMC Confirmation to NNAS
£34

Feb 18, 2017
NNAS Report – Not Comparable

March 8, 2017
Applied to CRNBC – Required Notarised ID Documents
$603.75 CAD & Approximately £40 Notary Fee

March 22, 2017
Referred for NCAS Assessment

July 22, 2017
Wrote Computer Based Assessment of NCAS from UK through Prometric
$500 CAD

July 30, 2017
Sat NCAS Simulation Lab Assessment in Vancouver (Like an OSCE)
$1500 CAD + the cost of flights and accommodation

September 26, 2017
NCAS report completed and sent to CRNBC

October 20, 2017
CRNBC Decision – Requires Transitional Education – Re-entry to practice program

October 25, 2017
Application to Kwantlen University - GNIE (One of the two re-entry to practice programs)
$40 CAD

December 13, 2017
Application to Thompson Rivers University (TRU) - RRNP (The other re-entry to practice program)
$28.68 CAD

December 14, 2017
TRU Program Fee
$33.32 CAD

January 6, 2018
Applied to WES – (TRU Admission Requirements)
$346.91 CAD

January 6, 2018
Transcript Free from University to WES
£15

February 5 , 2018
WES report completed.

April 30, 2018
Started TRU Open Learning – Return to Registered Nurse Practice Certificate Program
Total Tuition paid for program - $5125.13 (Not eligible for student loans)

July 1, 2019
Moved to Canada

July 29, 2019
CPR Level C & First Aid course
$85

August 6-9, 2019
4 Day Clinical Lab Skills course at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops
Student is responsible for any Travel and accommodation expenses

October 20 2019 – December 10 2019
300 Hour unpaid practicum that needs to be completed in Canada

January 2020
BCCNP – Provisional Registration Fee (Annual)
$550.45

Pending
NCLEX Exam Fee
$510
Old Jan 4th 2020, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Adult Trained RN - Timeline and Costs for Information Only

Good grief!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 8:24 am
Just Joined

AntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Brooks52,

Thank you for taking the time to post this onto the forum, it's very much appreciated.

The process appears to be extremely long, costly and also stressful to say the least.

My partner is an RN here in the UK and moving to Canada BC is something that we both really want to do, but having to do all of the above seems crazy! We cant get our head around it! For us it will be extremely difficult to do as we have two young children.
We both take our hats off to yourself and your husband for persevering with it and completing everything required, I bet you're both extremely pleased now that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Would it be possible for you to answer the following questions please?
  1. What nursing experience do you have in the UK?
  2. Now that you have provisional registration and have completed the 300 hours unpaid work, are you now working as an RN in BC and being paid?
  3. Were you able to carry out all of the re-entry to practice program courses from the UK via the internet?
  4. How many hours of studying per week did you need to do for TRU?
  5. Does the nursing work experience that you've gained from UK count as anything when applying for an RN position within a hospital in BC, or are you classed as having no experience now and having to start of as a graduate again? If the latter, i presume this will put you on the bottom end of the pay scale and also prove difficult to find work?
  6. What does your husband do if you don't mind me asking please?
Many Thanks
Anton

Old Jan 8th 2020, 4:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada will be of use
Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Hi Anton

The process was defiantly was much more difficult & expensive then we thought it was going to be. We are certainly glad it is coming to an end. I am not sure if the other provinces are as challenging to get into, as for us BC was the only province we were interested in moving to, as I was "returning home" so to speak and don't have family or friends in other provinces.

To answer your questions:

1) I qualified in 2015 and went straight into Theatres as a Scrub and Circulating nurse. So just over 4 years experience by the time we moved to BC in July 2019.
2) Yes! This was the easiest part of the process, there are lots of RN jobs within Interior Health, which is the health authority I am working in. I got a full-time, permanent position as well.
3) I was able to do all my theory modules through TRU's Open Learning through the internet. I couldn't do the 4 day lab session or the practicum component online though.
4) I did the modules one at a time while working 30 hours a week as a RN in the UK. I would say, on average, I would put our little one into Nursery for one full-day a week and do all my studying then. So maybe 8-10 hours a week?
5) I gained a Scrub and Circulating role here as well. They accepted my experience and the Scrub and Circulating course I completed in the UK. The collective agreement for Nursing jobs is found here- Page 75, article 53 describes the policy regarding pay scale and experience. https://www.bcnu.org/Contracts-Barga..._2019-2022.pdf
6) He works in IT. Thankfully NOT a regulated profession.

Hope this helps you make the right decisions for you and your family. Good luck!

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

ponylife is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this, it is so helpful, I'm expecting the results from my SLA & CBA soon.
Feeling a bit apprehensive as have seen the bridging course at KPU is only for Canadian citizens or PR with fees of almost $11,000 for a 15 credit semester!
I have previously read that TRU is only open to people with previous Canadian healthcare experience, if anyone knows any different?